Cheevos kinda ruined gaming.

Ostrowski

ok maybe achievements ruined gaming was a little too much, and whats wrong with saying cheevos? its a little faster and for some reason typing achievements is quite annoying. Only reason what I said it ruined gaming is because even if your not a completionist only having 5-40 points on a game is annoying. especially on a easy game. Over the years if a game had hard achievements I wouldnt buy it or play it at all. Yet if the achievements are fairly easy I would be all over it. i understand achievements would push you to do things you wouldnt. So It has its ups and downs like everything else. Just look at stallion83 he said in an interview once that gaming isnt even enjoyable anymore because all he does it get all the achievements then moves on to the next game. And again I understand that is his choice. But turning your hobby into something that you dont enjoy, its not a hobby anymore. Games are meant to be enjoyed not a chore.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok maybe achievements ruined gaming was a little too much, and whats wrong with saying cheevos? its a little faster and for some reason typing achievements is quite annoying. Only reason what I said it ruined gaming is because even if your not a completionist only having 5-40 points on a game is annoying. especially on a easy game. Over the years if a game had hard achievements I wouldnt buy it or play it at all. Yet if the achievements are fairly easy I would be all over it. i understand achievements would push you to do things you wouldnt. So It has its ups and downs like everything else. Just look at stallion83 he said in an interview once that gaming isnt even enjoyable anymore because all he does it get all the achievements then moves on to the next game. And again I understand that is his choice. But turning your hobby into something that you dont enjoy, its not a hobby anymore. Games are meant to be enjoyed not a chore.

couldnt be assed playing the way stallion does i want to enjoy games but he took achievement hunting to a whole different level fair play to him but i could never play games that way

The way he games is not the fault of achievements, it's his fault, nothing more. If he doesn't enjoy gaming anymore then he has nobody to blame but himself.

Unless achievements wave their hand, use the Force and say you will get these achievements then everyone controls whether or not they try to get every achievement or not.

it has in some aspects but no one forces you to obtain the chievos which is why I only have 77698g out of a possible 210000g

imo personally dlc has ruing gaming more paying £40 for a game then shelling out another £30-£40 on dlc and again you don't have to buy which is why I only buy dlc for certain games like borderlands mass effect and left for dead

Its just down to who you are as a person, some people are unaffected leaving something uncomplete, some aren't. Its just how you handle it, i view them as theyre there to help get a full experience out of a game or a small reward for the more skilled ones, a digital memento. If i can get all of them, i'll go for all of them, i genuinely enjoy gaming, good or bad games, to go out of my way to do so, but i have no problem skipping over the time consuming ones.

Its just down to who you are as a person, some people are unaffected leaving something uncomplete, some aren't. Its just how you handle it, i view them as theyre there to help get a full experience out of a game or a small reward for the more skilled ones, a digital memento. If i can get all of them, i'll go for all of them, i genuinely enjoy gaming, good or bad games, to go out of my way to do so, but i have no problem skipping over the time consuming ones.

Its just the buzz for me. Either next week or ten years from now, my games completion won't mean a thing to me or anyone else. As you say its a digital memento, and no doubt something else will replace it further down the line.

I won't/don't see it as wasted time, its just my favourite hobby at the moment. Just a shame that there's are a lot of shite achievements on awesome games.

I used to have a problem with achievements. I would be one of the first people to complete arcade games on the days they were released, just so I could see my name listed as number one or two in the U.S. Then I got into a car accident and it changed my priorities in life. I sold my old GT and started a new one, now I only play games I actually like. I don't chase achievements anymore. I just started back on live with actually playing with a mic this month in almost 4 years. I think my gamer score is like 3K now.

My brain was OCD about making sure I was the best before. Making sure if I started something I finished it no matter what. My OCD manifested itself in the game but I let it.

I still play games for fun, just look at my games on my gamercard, ONLY ONE COMPLETION!!! I don't give a bloody fuck what anyone thinks, cheevos are bonuses for the games I play BUT I do hunt for them in games like AssCreed and the Arkham games, I don't have online so I am happy Arkham Knight is Singleplayer only :) fuck online multiplayer cheevos.

Yes and No, but not for the reason you mentioned (seriously, not to be rude, but being bothered by a 30/1000 GS for a particular game that I quit right away because it was terrible borders on OCD). Yes, it ruined gaming for a particular type of crowd because it encouraged people to overplay a game they otherwise had finished. That said, the same thing is a bonus. It gets you more replayability of a game you otherwise would have resold. Two sides of the same coin.

I agree, achievements ruined gaming. At least in my case. I care more about an achievement than most games. I have grown up. I don't enjoy many games anymore. But achievements give me a goal or a reason to beat a game I might not otherwise play due to having no interest in it.

But achievements also drive me to play these games I will not enjoy. They make me play a game I merely tolerate up to three times hoping that it will unlock this time when it should have unlocked last time. OCD, completionist, whatever. I fucking hate it. It means nothing to me, but I feel so shitty when I am forced to play a game a certain way for an achievement and it refusing to unlock. Either because of a bug or a shitty guide I read. Usually a bug.

I think if achievements weren't missable or completely gameplay dictating, I would enjoy gaming a lot more. What ruins a game for me more than anything else is having to replay it because I missed something or even worse, having to replay it again in a way I don't enjoy. Chapter select is tolerable, but replaying the whole thing for an achievement is quite ridiculous when it offers no new content.

My current games were Evil Within (895) because a third playthrough was too tedious and Metro Last Light (915) because the "no kill" achievement didn't unlock due to me following a shitty guide or a bug. Evil Within was somewhat fun, but not having to play it two more times when there is absolutely no side content is shitty. The same with Metro Last Light. And it's the same for MANY games. They need to stop pushing their bullshit onto players via achievements. And instead make good game that have storyline replay ability that isn't forced. Having to play a 7 hour game three times doesn't make it a 21 hour game. It makes it fucking shitty and tedious.

A disclaimer for retarded people, what I typed is my opinion. I am not a mind reader and I don't know your opinion.

Edited by Sizzy

I agree, achievements ruined gaming. At least in my case. I care more about an achievement than most games. I have grown up. I don't enjoy many games anymore. But achievements give me a goal or a reason to beat a game I might not otherwise play due to having no interest in it.

But achievements also drive me to play these games I will not enjoy. They make me play a game I merely tolerate up to three times hoping that it will unlock this time when it should have unlocked last time. OCD, completionist, whatever. I fucking hate it. It means nothing to me, but I feel so shitty when I am forced to play a game a certain way for an achievement and it refusing to unlock. Either because of a bug or a shitty guide I read. Usually a bug.

I think if achievements weren't missable or completely gameplay dictating, I would enjoy gaming a lot more. What ruins a game for me more than anything else is having to replay it because I missed something or even worse, having to replay it again in a way I don't enjoy. Chapter select is tolerable, but replaying the whole thing for an achievement is quite ridiculous when it offers no new content.

My current games were Evil Within (895) because a third playthrough was too tedious and Metro Last Light (915) because the "no kill" achievement didn't unlock due to me following a shitty guide or a bug. Evil Within was somewhat fun, but not having to play it two more times when there is absolutely no side content is shitty. The same with Metro Last Light. And it's the same for MANY games. They need to stop pushing their bullshit onto players via achievements. And instead make good game that have storyline replay ability that isn't forced. Having to play a 7 hour game three times doesn't make it a 21 hour game. It makes it fucking shitty and tedious.

A disclaimer for retarded people, what I typed is my opinion. I am not a mind reader and I don't know your opinion.

At the same time though it's not so much the fault of the people who made the game, but the gamer for caring so much about it. Most games with difficutly achievements generally stack, so if you don't stack then that's on the gamer.

The "forced" replayability is just achievement related. It's not a way for a developer to magically make their game longer.

At the same time though it's not so much the fault of the people who made the game, but the gamer for caring so much about it. Most games with difficutly achievements generally stack, so if you don't stack then that's on the gamer.

The "forced" replayability is just achievement related. It's not a way for a developer to magically make their game longer.

If this were Facebook, I'd 'like' your post.

I'm also talking about achievements like "play through this shooter without killing anyone" in a game that also has an achievement like "play through this game and kill everyone". When it applies to basic enemies.

And The Evil Within, you have to play three playthroughs of it no matter what. There is no way around it. As well as mop-up. So probably around 3.5 playthroughs for a game with no side content. Metro last light requires at least 2.5 with no side content. There are many games like this. Almost every other game I play is like this. Some I fully complete despite having no extra fun the second and third time, so I just don't and feel like shit for not completing them.

Of course it is also on the player for caring so much, which is why I said I fucking hate caring so much over something that means so little to me in the end, but it's also on the people who decide the achievements. It's similar to blaming a crack addict instead of the crack dealer at all. It goes both ways and there is blame on both. But if I could choose not to care about these worthless points so much I would. If they could choose not to put multiple playthrough dictating achievements in their game, they wouldn't.

We are on a site about achievements. I am not the only person here who cares about achievements as much or more so than many games that don't interest me.

Edited by Sizzy

Achievements and trophies didn't ruin gaming. People have made them more important than what they are. Achivements, imo, are a way to make you into a better game. They encourage you to do things in games that you may not have ever done. I like to use Bioshock Infinite a lot when I make this point. Prior to trophies (I played this on PS3), I never attempted a game on higher difficulties. But trophies made me want to try and do something out of my comfort zone, and so I played and beat Infinite on 1999 mode while also doing scavenger hunt. That's just one example, but like I said, it made me leave my comfort zone of always playing games on normal and try something new.

Now, when people play or don't play games based on achievements/trophies, that's when its ruined gaming. I've seen more than enough people on this site and on the PS sister site, who have avoided games altogether simply because they don't like the list or knew they wouldn't get them all. I pity people who are like that. I play games for fun, and IF I can get all the achievements/trophies, I will, but in no way am I going to avoid a game because of them. And I'm not bashing people who are hardcore hunters, but people need to take perspective on what they're doing. Gaming should be about having fun, not about getting a better GS.

Now, when people play or don't play games based on achievements/trophies, that's when its ruined gaming. I've seen more than enough people on this site and on the PS sister site, who have avoided games altogether simply because they don't like the list or knew they wouldn't get them all.

The thing about games are so few that are actually unique anymore, so there isn't any point in playing them if you know the achievements are going to require some silly shit. Not all games are good. To me, all online shooters are the same anymore. Very few have different single player mechanics. So I avoid them if they have shit achievements since they will be the same thing I played in 50 other games and did online for a full year. Aside from shooters, I have never refused to play a game since I stick to RPGs mainly as a favorite. But I HATE games with achievements that force players to milk the game. And JRPGs are notorious for that. Some games requiring over 10 playthroughs.

And the achievement lists of 7/10 first person shooters that have no other aspect except shooting leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Edited by Sizzy

Well for me it really enhanced the experience of gaming, i would have trouble playing again with no achievements. For exemple original Xbox, or the Nintendo Consol (this make me face palm that Nintendo didn't put an achievement system yet)

I would never do anything in a game beside the main story on normal or hell even easy before achievements. Now they make me at least put it on normal so i get that specific achievement, and if the game is pretty good i go for hard playtrough, wich i would never had in the past.

Of course i avoided games with hard achievements, i will admit it. I would had probably get Megaman 9 and 10 out of the marketplace if achievements where like "kill xxxman" for all the bosses and such. But since they where so hard, and i could had barely get 10 pts in the game, i said fuck it.

I am no completionist either, i just try to get the max i ca get without going into "piss off territory" but i hate having just a couple GS on my card. For exemple i won't even try NHL 15 because im not interest in uber grinding or such, all i want to do is pick the Canadiens and play a game with my buddy or online, im not interest in managing a franchise and that kinda shit. Sadly the game almost give you nothing for just scoring goals and playing games, so i don't play it period.

But usually i won't avoid a game because it has a couple undoable achievements (undoable for me i mean), sure it disapoint me to not be able to complete it but then if i racked 750 GS in it... thats fine.

I just hate undoable achievements in general, either glitched, stupid like rank number 1 world, or the ones that are missable for a huge RPG or such... where you would need to put again 40 hours to get it.

One exemple, i enjoyed RISEN... it was not a phenomenal game but i genuily enjoyed it, yet there is NO WAY i could get all achievements for this, as its a multi playtrough require game, and the game does not give you enough point to level everything in one play trough.

I enjoyed it ONCE, but would not play another time as its a 40 hours game at least and there is many other good RPG i can do. So pretty much its too bad... ill stick with the GS i have and fuck the rest... kinda sucks it require multiple playtrough, cause the game was fairly enjoyable and i would love to get all of the GS.

Some games really have great list, while others don't and as a gamer i would go for games that have great list before the ones that don't if those games are equally fun.

If a dev is dumb enough to put extra hard/undoable achievements to be a punk, then the hell with him i won't give him my money... thats as simple.

Even Call of Duty, i would actually maybe buy some DLC if it had MP achievements (win xxx games on map 1, 2 3 etc) or such. But all achievements are always ZOMBIE crap, and i don't play this... so fuck them ... lol, no DLC purchase for me.

Achievements have redefined gaming... and sure they can be abused by dev and publisher for putting them in shitty DLC just to sell, or sometimes the list are quite questionables, sometimes there downright idiotic like those Fable achievements that require you to hunt weapon online, god that was stupid. But OVERALL, in GENERAL, there a nice addition to gaming and they motivate you to play.

For exemple when i was a teen i did BATTLE MODE with Wesker and every character in CODE VERONICA, yet the only way to prove it was to take a pic of your TV, and back then HD TV didn,t exist(or where rare an expensive), and digital cam where expensive as well...

I was motivated to redo it on 360 because now i can prove i done it, it show on my gamerprofile. On a different note i miss one achievement in the game, the one where you need to do the game without saving, in less than 3.5 hours or something.. well crazy stuff... I know ill never get this, never did back then, never will. I enjoy this game a lot, its one of my favourite game of all time, favourite Resident Evil game, but im not good at memorizing everything and would certainly not sit for 4h straight to try to get half the game without saving (your allowed one save in the middle) I would only get frustrated and it would change my view of the game if i would die for exemple near the end have to put multiple hours in this. And i don't have the will anyway to fucking sit watching lets play of the game to study it... thats not my definition of gaming. With Battle mode it was ok and cool cause it lasted around 10 mins so if you fail no biggy, you retry...

That kind of achievement can make you hate the system and hate the game. But its up to you to be smarter than this. Would i had love to get all achievements and 100% completion in one of my favourite game? OF COURSE. But not if its gonna make me get a sour taste of the game in the end. Ill just be happy with 850/1000

If I don't get all the achieves, a buddy of mine will mock me because he gets everything. He acts like I never experienced anything in the game.

Kind of reminds me of when I didn't know where all the warp whistles were in Mario 3 on the NES.

I guess it's always been sort of the same. :)

Achievements have enhanced gaming for me.

I've always been goal-oriented. I loved Pokemon because I put in the time to catch them all. I loved Legend of Mana because it had the cactus diary that you had to fill, and which could be failed with a single mistake, requiring a new 100-hour playthrough. I loved getting all the masks in Majora's Mask and the organization and strategy it took to avoid a hundred playthroughs of that. Essentially, the introduction of achievements put benchmarks by which I could measure success in every game, instead of the ones I was using anyway, or, in some cases, where there were no reliable standards of success or completion.

If achievements ruined gaming for you, then perhaps you don't know yourself very well. Fix that.