Official Build Discussion Thread

Floyd.

I'm getting a bit confused with the levelling up system, are you guys levelling up the special stats first before getting perks because I hear Bobbleheads take you past level 10.

In mine and Bigg's, we only used 28 - did not add the bonuses until inside the parentheses. We both used the SPECIAL book you find right away to put CHA to 10, then the bobblehead will take it to a permanent 11. Even gear brings stats over 10.

Alright, I haven't got my game yet... so I have a question (and can't remember how it was in Fallout NV because it was too long ago).

What does the point allocation to each category mean?

&

Can you still pick perks in a category, if that category has a low point allocation?

Thanks in advance. Just trying to pre-plan my build

Alright, I haven't got my game yet... so I have a question (and can't remember how it was in Fallout NV because it was too long ago).

What does the point allocation to each category mean?

&

Can you still pick perks in a category, if that category has a low point allocation?

Thanks in advance. Just trying to pre-plan my build

Stat allocation dictates some base abilities (health, carry weight, etc) and the level of perk you can use. Each stat has 10 perks. If you put 6 points in Strength you can only choose up to the first 6 perks of that stat.

My starting build ran:

Str: 3

Per: 4

End: 1

Cha: 8 (now +1 with book = 9)

Int: 4

Agi: 7

Lck: 1

That'll get me my standard sneak/lockpick/hack build pretty early followed by blackwidow (going to play female as I expect a typical gender bias in normal badguys)and then work on damage with ninja, gunslinger, and some other skills. I should be able to talk my way through most dialogue and play hide and seek through most fights. Still going to be made of glass but hopefully will compensate with companions (namely the dog since he can't die).

Edited by Broken Bibles

My definitive build.

Strength - 6

Perception - 3 (+1 from the extremely early-game bobblehead, so technically 4)

Endurance - 1

Charisma - 9 (+1 from the SPECIAL book in your room, so technically 10)

Intelligence - 6

Agility - 1

Luck - 2

Must have perks: Strong Back, Local Leader, Cap Collector, Wasteland Whisperer, Blacksmith, Scrounger, Fortune Finder, Gun Nut, and Science!.

So, I've put all the above points into SPECIAL. Should I start working on the perks list next? And do you plan to upgrade each perk fully?

Hey, Hunter! I haven't seen you post around here outside of the general discussion, which I tend to avoid because of shameless spoilers, lol. How did your build start out and are you enjoying/understanding it so far? :)

I started with the SPECIAL stats that BiggD list. That worked well until I made them all 10/10 via the book glitch. :p Even without that, it seemed like a decently solid build to play the way I wanted to play (pistols, rifles, and getting out of things with conversation).

My first build was pretty lack-luster, so I restarted and my current build is:

STR-3

PER-9

END-4

CHA-6

INT-1

AGI-6

LCK-9

Perks:

STR: Armorer 4/4

PER: Rifleman 5/5, Locksmith 3/4, Sniper 3/3

END: Nothing yet.

CHA: Cap Collector 2/3, Local Leader 2/2

INT: Nothing yet.

AGI: Action Boy 2/2

LCK: Idiot Savant 3/3, Better Criticals 3/3, Critical Banker 3/3, Grim Reaper's Sprint 3/3, Four Leaf Clover 4/4.

I went with an Idiot Savant build just so leveling a second character wouldn't be so tedious. Admittedly, I did boost in Sanctuary making fence posts once I got Idiot Savant unlocked, but only to level 14. I've also "save scummed" a few of the bigger XP reward missions, but I no longer do that. I also got Piper as soon as possible and maxed her affinity out for the boosts to discovering new locations and successful speech dialogues.

I had no idea how absolutely broken MacCready's perk was when I went for a high accuracy/damage sniper rifle build, so some of those perks have been negated and points wasted. Overall, though, I'm content with this build.

I had planned on getting Preston Garvey's perk to accompany my already insane high DPS sniper build, but I got some retarded glitch after doing The Castle mission where he no longer allows me to engage him in a dialogue ><.

Level 49 with around 2 1/2 days played. I'm not sure how much of that is AFK time, though lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my build. Just curious, do the plus additions allow for higher perk choices or do they just increase the base stat?

Level 35

STR: (+)10

PER: 6

END: (+)8

CHA: (+)11

INT: (+)8

AGI: 4

LCK: 6

Not entirely sure about all my perks but the ones I'm building on and loving:

Awareness

Gun Nut 2

Science 3

Armorer 2

Scrounger

Cap/Ammo finder 2

Lone Wanderer 2

Mysterious Stranger 2 (I. Love. This. Guy! Dum dum dum dummmmmmmm)

Scrapper

Idiot Savant 3

Better Criticals

Lockpick/Hacking 2

Rifleman 2 or 3. Can't remember as I'm currently 38. This is from a few days ago.

There's more but I spent a good time just exploring the past couple days and didn't pay too much attention to my perks.

I just know that the ammo finder really helps when you're looking for Nukes in containers too. Went to a couple places that said I'd get one from containers and the first place gave me 4 and the other 2.

In case anyone is wondering, there are two VERY useful perks if you travel with at least dogmeat for Lone Wanderer but mainly for companions. At Goodneighbor, walk in The Third Rail and go to bathroom and final stall to the right. Then go to Hotel Rexford and it's on the bar to the right when you walk in.

One is for automatic 5x xp when traveling with a companion. The other is companion gets 5% dmg/eng-dmg resistance.

It's also useful to look up and find any perk mag that increases the skill the more mags you find. I know there's a lockpick and hacking one somewhere.

Fallout4map.com - SO useful <3

*I was going to go with high strength for the strong back but found I rarely used a companion except for a walking backpack. Figured, why not go Lone Wanderer and get the extra carry weight BUT the dmg/dmg-resist as well? Plus it excludes Dogmeat so I get twice as much carry and extra offensive and defensive capabilities. All I really used companions for were their affection quests and I already did the one I want which was transferring Curie to a synth body. I also separately did Cait's just for the achievement.

Edited by Flibbity Floid

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...