Name of game style and titles

Y2Kasper10

Hey guys,

So lately I've had a TON of fun playing some indie games and "odd" titles or genres.

I have really no clue what they could be classed as... maybe "turn based" for a few of them, although there are possibly 2 or 3 different styles.

I'm wondering if you guys know of games that are similar in style to the following games I've played and really enjoyed:

Clash of Heroes: Might & Magic

Defense Grid

Plants vs Zombies (the first one)

Castlestorm

Carcassonne

What genre would you call these games?

Do you enjoy them and if so, do you like them as 1P or multiplayer? I've only played them against the computer and had a blast.

(Mods, I didn't put this in the "what should I play next" thread, because I'm also looking for information in the genre and hoping to discuss the gameplay)

Most of the games you've listed are Tower Defense games, Carcassonne and Clash of Heroes are puzzle/strategy games.

There are hundreds of tower defense games (most of them on IOS/android), either with top down view, side scrolling and even first/third person.

With the puzzle/strategy games it's a lot of hit and miss, some I really like (like your listed games and the Puzzle quest games) and some are just not for me.

I would recommend to google top 10 lists of TD games or puzzle/strat games, there are plenty of hidden gems (like I said, especially on IOS/Android). One game I had a blast playing on the phone is Bloons TD 5, if you have adecent phone or tablet you should try it out.

I prefer these games in SP, especially if they have challenges like Defense Grid or PvsZ.

You should maybe check out Crystal Defenders, that is a tower defense type game on the XBLA I had some fun with that one.

Final Fantasy themed, so if you like FF games, too... it's a shoe-in! And I know Creech would be the first to recommend Defense Grid 2 on the X1.

The Banner Saga, which I am playing for the second time right now, also falls in the same strategic vein.

Final Fantasy themed, so if you like FF games, too... it's a shoe-in! And I know Creech would be the first to recommend Defense Grid 2 on the X1.

The Banner Saga, which I am playing for the second time right now, also falls in the same strategic vein.

This will probably shock many of you...

But I've never played a Final Fantasy game. Not one. I've never even played Zelda (see, I don't even know if they're related, that's how little interest I have in them).

I'll definitely look into Defense Grid 2 though. Thanks.

Xerofox, I've never played a game on my phone. I have a Samsung and really don't use it for much except texting, email and browsing this site. I'd definitely love your recommendations for 360 or XB1, but I can't see myself starting up on a phone.

Haha, no worries, I'm not sure it's your type of genre with what you normally post about. I don't like Zelda, no big loss there ;) Crystal Defenders is only FF themed, meaning there's really no connection to the franchise outside of stuff like the names of units/jobs. It might be worth looking into.