Games for Windows live client still working?

SubG3nius

While I have been neglecting my PC games, I'm almost certain they still work with the exception of a handful of titles that patch out the client if you got them on Steam. A couple weeks ago I was able to re-download the client and reinstall all my old digital games so everything else still probably works on them with the exception of those titles who shut their servers down.

The only thing you won't be able to really do is purchase anything through the client itself. If a game has DLC you should however be able to still buy content if the game has it's own "store" within its' menu from what I heard(but was told this a while ago so it's always possible things changed since then)

The only thing you won't be able to really do is purchase anything through the client itself. If a game has DLC you should however be able to still buy content if the game has it's own "store" within its' menu from what I heard(but was told this a while ago so it's always possible things changed since then)
This is correct. They shut down the store portion when they migrated from Microsoft Points (IIRC) and now it's just a purchase history client pretty much.

Depending on windows version, the best thing to do is to download the latest one from the games for windows live website, install prior to installing the game (or after but before loading) and then start the game, and all will be well. I have personally confirmed success with using GFWL client on windows 7/8/8.1 and 10 with no issues. It just needs to be the latest version (as the disc will not contain this, the website is the best idea)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Technically, this does NOT work and hasn't worked since November. If you wanted to re-download anything you had purchased on the GFWL marketplace, you are no longer able to. Countless support threads have been opened on Xbox's forums with no updates on a resolution.

As of yesterday I downloaded SFxTekken and Ultra SF4 from Steam and Amazon respectively and will confirm the client works. As I'm typing this I'm re-downloading Op. Flashpoint Red River and Fable 3 from the GFWL client. So far so good.