Is The Division the new Destiny?

Kreegles

My friends and I played The Division beta from opening to closing just a little while ago when they shut the servers down for maintenance. We play Destiny a lot and we were discussing that this game is probably about to up-seat an already failing Destiny. With Destiny's recent issues with loot and just overall boring slumps this game is offering exciting new game play options where Destiny falls short. Bungie needs to watch out, I haven't seen a Ubisoft game this good in a long long time.

^I found one! Well, it's not hard to find them actually, they're basically everywhere.

But yeah, it's basically Destiny. Still keeps the damage sponge aspect, while putting it in a real-world setting and using more realistic weaponry. I don't think it'll have the MMO feel to it though. No progression resets, no raids to gear for. It'll be interesting to see how they keep this fresh and keep people playing. Destiny uses the typical MMO tricks, while this doesn't seem like it will have those.

Well so far I love it, big time, over Destiny. One thing I really love is just going around in NYC as it doesn't feel "boring" like in Destiny. For some reason, the "emptiness" of the post-apocalyptic world in Destiny feels boring compared to Fallout. I just love how impressive the urban environment is in The Division compared to GTAV.

Destiny is a tough game to explain. I don't consider it an mmo. It has raids and has awful mmo gear grind, but that's pretty much it. Worlds are shared with a handful of others and hardly "massive" and is probably the best comparison to the division and destiny. It seems like an open world tom clancy game with a shared map and public events. dungeon(strikes) and raid content don't seem likely.

Still keeps the damage sponge aspect, while putting it in a real-world setting and using more realistic weaponry.

Only bad thing I have to say about the beta so far, I very much dislike bullet sponges.

He's saying that The Division is what Destiny tried to be (but that ended up failing obviously).

Exactly, The Division feels like what Destiny tried to be and should of been.

These comparisons are asinine. These games are about as similar to each other as Fifa is to Madden.

Aside from the camera (FPS vs 3PS) and setting (space fantasy vs. realistic world) they're actually very similar. They're both MMO-lite RPG shooters with an emphasis on loot.

Using your comparison, those games are even fairly similar. They're both sports games played with balls. Same genre, different execution.

Edited by The Pants Party

If the game can't hold up in single-player then I'm a lot less interested. I haven't played the beta but from what I've heard it doesn't seem like my sort of game. I don't like bullet-sponge enemies in realistic settings, and I don't like the traditional MMO aspects of repeating a mission over and over and over hoping for a certain loot drop. I hope it turns out to be a decent game though, for those of you who are really looking forward to it.

^I found one! Well, it's not hard to find them actually, they're basically everywhere.

But yeah, it's basically Destiny. Still keeps the damage sponge aspect, while putting it in a real-world setting and using more realistic weaponry. I don't think it'll have the MMO feel to it though. No progression resets, no raids to gear for. It'll be interesting to see how they keep this fresh and keep people playing. Destiny uses the typical MMO tricks, while this doesn't seem like it will have those.

Yeah but the gamplay trailers/beta still featured more story elements and usage of broken down items/parts than Destiny has in it's entirety :p

• 2 weeks later...

This topic is like wuuuuut.

They are both shooter mmos. Ofc there is going to be similarities.

Is FIFA like PES? Is CoD like Battlefield? In respects, yes.

This is very similar to Ghost Recon Future Solider, from the UI, the Hud, the cover. Then you add a loot system. And quests. And an open world map. Loot system seems far more in depth than Destiny too which is good.

Does it play like Destiny? No. Does it share a lot of gameplay mechanics? Yes.

Aside from the camera (FPS vs 3PS) and setting (space fantasy vs. realistic world) they're actually very similar. They're both MMO-lite RPG shooters with an emphasis on loot.

Using your comparison, those games are even fairly similar. They're both sports games played with balls. Same genre, different execution.

So they are completely different, but the same? :p haha

I think the only way they are alike, is that they are both going to take up way more of my life then a game should lol

Nah, I can see where they are alike, but then I think they are also completely different. The only way they are really similar is that they have an MMO aspect about them, but other then that they are completley different games (loot aside as a lot of games have that style of loot). Different map, different play style, different setting, different story, different PvP... really the only thing I can think that are alike is the MMO side, and the loot, and the loot is similar to a million other games

So personally I'd say they were nothing alike :) but thats just my thoughts anyways

My friends and I played The Division beta from opening to closing just a little while ago when they shut the servers down for maintenance. We play Destiny a lot and we were discussing that this game is probably about to up-seat an already failing Destiny. With Destiny's recent issues with loot and just overall boring slumps this game is offering exciting new game play options where Destiny falls short. Bungie needs to watch out, I haven't seen a Ubisoft game this good in a long long time.

It's not the "new" Destiny. It's a 3rd person shooter on it's own BUT it takes just about all the RPG elements Destiny slacked on and gave them a major Vitamin B shot. Especially the element of loot drops and quality. Low grade loot here still has some major qualities to them.

The Division is what Destiny was set out to be. Destiny was a big heap of steaming penis.

To go further on what they said, and that I agree. Destiny is a disease ridden skunk that just shit ass juice on the ground that your dog rolled in that you now have to clean off.

The Division on the other hand is like eating ambrosia (food of the Gods).

If you have a choice, get The Division, you won't regret it!

I have around 2500 hours in destiny but there is no way this game can pull them hours out of anybody. I do really like the game but there isnt enough to do. Simply feels like co-op assassins creed/watch dogs, clear the map of shit then your done.

The end game is non existant, aswell as the daily missions there needed to be weekly missions and something very hard weekly like a raid. As it stands sure you can grind the dark zone for good loot but for no reason. There is nothing in the game that requires you to bother grinding out high end loot.

The draw of destiny was the raids, grinding out basic gear to play the normal raid, geting gear from that for a few weeks untill your gear was good enough to play the hard raid, then using the hard raid to gear you ready for the next expansion.

Destiny was a grind but there was always a reason to grind, division is also a grind but with no clear reason to do it.

I have around 2500 hours in destiny but there is no way this game can pull them hours out of anybody. I do really like the game but there isnt enough to do. Simply feels like co-op assassins creed/watch dogs, clear the map of shit then your done.

The end game is non existant, aswell as the daily missions there needed to be weekly missions and something very hard weekly like a raid. As it stands sure you can grind the dark zone for good loot but for no reason. There is nothing in the game that requires you to bother grinding out high end loot.

The draw of destiny was the raids, grinding out basic gear to play the normal raid, geting gear from that for a few weeks untill your gear was good enough to play the hard raid, then using the hard raid to gear you ready for the next expansion.

Destiny was a grind but there was always a reason to grind, division is also a grind but with no clear reason to do it.

This was my main worry, lack of end game.