Dark Zone is both Insanely Frustrating and Insanely Fun

Haha, damn, I would have hated on you. I was the capped level guy who would occasionally wander lower level zones while waiting for my guild and randomly help people do quests. Gankers were/are the worst :p

See, now this is where you scare me sir haha. I consider myself a high ranking member of what I call the Backpack Brigade. I've spent half this week wanting to focus on the story missions and wound up running friends through their missions to catch them up.

I actually don't mind the predator/prey aspect from either end. It's the people that constantly do it in hopes of disrupting progress. I get it that's what gives them enjoyment but that's also the same as saying beating puppies gives you satisfaction. That's a tough pill to swallow but I call a douche a douche.

BUT, in this games world, it's not far off from necessary as opposed to an option.

I have had a couple instances where our group ran into some rogues who wouldn't get the message "Not Us. Move Along." After two firefights of each of our groups going down, we actually met up without rogue status' and basically had a "Yeah, that's about enough" moment haha. Guess we found each other formidable. Couple even saluted.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See, now this is where you scare me sir haha. I consider myself a high ranking member of what I call the Backpack Brigade. I've spent half this week wanting to focus on the story missions and wound up running friends through their missions to catch them up.

I actually don't mind the predator/prey aspect from either end. It's the people that constantly do it in hopes of disrupting progress. I get it that's what gives them enjoyment but that's also the same as saying beating puppies gives you satisfaction. That's a tough pill to swallow but I call a douche a douche.

BUT, in this games world, it's not far off from necessary as opposed to an option.

I have had a couple instances where our group ran into some rogues who wouldn't get the message "Not Us. Move Along." After two firefights of each of our groups going down, we actually met up without rogue status' and basically had a "Yeah, that's about enough" moment haha. Guess we found each other formidable. Couple even saluted.

Haha what? Ganking in a video game is a long way from beating puppies. Ganking people can be fun, so can helping people. It doesn't make you a saint to help people in a video game. You could be the most disgusting, despicable lowlife scumbucket to ever have walked the earth in real life for all I know. It is the same the other way as well, that guy who killed you and took your stuff in the game, well he runs a not for profit puppy shelter and finds safe homes for abused animals just because he is a nice guy. Oh also he donated both his kidneys and his lungs to endangered species.

I do understand what you are saying, it is all just taking pleasure from another creatures misfortune. I just think there is a line between real life and video games. A lot of people use games as an escape, so perhaps they want to do something they never could in real life.

Edited by BluWolve

Haha what? Ganking in a video game is a long way from beating puppies. Ganking people can be fun, so can helping people. It doesn't make you a saint to help people in a video game. You could be the most disgusting, despicable lowlife scumbucket to ever have walked the earth in real life for all I know. It is the same the other way as well, that guy who killed you and took your stuff in the game, well he runs a not for profit puppy shelter and finds safe homes for abused animals just because he is a nice guy. Oh also he donated both his kidneys and his lungs to endangered species.

I do understand what you are saying, it is all just taking pleasure from another creatures misfortune. I just think there is a line between real life and video games. A lot of people use games as an escape, so perhaps they want to do something they never could in real life.

It was a joke really. Most players that do it in one game, tend to do it if it's available in all games. It's still a moral compass albeit virtual. Not saying people that actually do it beat puppies but it's the satisfaction from someone else's misery that is a tad irksome. I just don't do it.

Actually, every time my buddy saw a random by himself and suggested we take their stuff, I'm always like "NO! We don't fart with other players unless provoked! I don't wanna be That Guy" and next thing I know, it's too late haha and I have to stick by my boys. It's like I said, it's when players do nothing BUT that, that could potentially ruin an experience but there's also simply leaving the DZ or rebooting the game. Takes all of 5 minutes.

As mentioned, it's a game and the game DOES promote the idea of it. Hence the whole Risk/Reward that the Dark Zone implies.

It was a joke really. Most players that do it in one game, tend to do it if it's available in all games. It's still a moral compass albeit virtual. Not saying people that actually do it beat puppies but it's the satisfaction from someone else's misery that is a tad irksome. I just don't do it.

Actually, every time my buddy saw a random by himself and suggested we take their stuff, I'm always like "NO! We don't fart with other players unless provoked! I don't wanna be That Guy" and next thing I know, it's too late haha and I have to stick by my boys. It's like I said, it's when players do nothing BUT that, that could potentially ruin an experience but there's also simply leaving the DZ or rebooting the game. Takes all of 5 minutes.

As mentioned, it's a game and the game DOES promote the idea of it. Hence the whole Risk/Reward that the Dark Zone implies.

Yeah I would get annoyed at people who make it their sole purpose to wreck other peoples games, but I don't believe that is the case for the majority of people who go rogue. There are many reasons to go rogue in the darkzone and sometimes its just fun to have a firefight between 2 groups of players and a bunch of elite CPU enemies.

What you mentioned about your friend going rogue, I think if one member of the group goes rogue it shouldn't make the whole group rogue. So many times when I have had a bag of loot and all I want to do is sneakily extract and someone in my group paints a target on my back.

Yeah I would get annoyed at people who make it their sole purpose to wreck other peoples games, but I don't believe that is the case for the majority of people who go rogue. There are many reasons to go rogue in the darkzone and sometimes its just fun to have a firefight between 2 groups of players and a bunch of elite CPU enemies.

What you mentioned about your friend going rogue, I think if one member of the group goes rogue it shouldn't make the whole group rogue. So many times when I have had a bag of loot and all I want to do is sneakily extract and someone in my group paints a target on my back.

Yeah, it's like I get it but then they should make another lobby type where xp and loot aren't a factor. I wouldn't mind a straight up Free For All DZ mode that isn't dependent on the AI/loot. But I still feel that takes away from the atmosphere that it's supposed to be a mixed setting. If they add modes later, that's fine too. The DLC still sounds optimistically good.

Again, that's part of the risk and reward. If anything, I have no shortage of people to roll with if a group member goes full douchebag but for the most part, it's all in agreement. Last night was an example:

For the most part, we were just looking to hit 30 in the DZ before disbanding. I hit it first and even left the group, went rogue and let them kill me a couple times so one could get to bed. We mainly stayed in the first zone just to cycle through enemies. At the extraction by the gas station, some random came around, played it cool but killed me out of nowhere and ran off. He didn't take my stuff but another guy did. I was actually bitching about the looter bc he TOOK MY WALNUT SCARF!!! >=( About 20 min later, we ran into the guy who killed me who just kept hanging around us basically riding off our kills. I kept going on about how I was going to get my vengeance but my pals wanted to get their stuff out first. So at the same extraction a few minutes later, he sat in the little tent. With 20 seconds left, my friends said if I wanted to go for it, now is the time. So I boxed him in the tent with my extended mobile cover and we covered the whole inside plus him with super sticky bombs. My buddy also tossed his flame turret in. Ya know...just in case. He must have really wanted the purple mod piece and gun he found bc I went into game chat just before the massacre and he's just pleading with nobody really "please no no no I'm sorry I didn't mean it nononono..." and then we had to find a sponge. I also took and desconstructed the loot out of spite.

Vengeance is a dish best served at a table for four.

Overall, we spent a good 2 and a half hours just droning around and still barely hiked past DZ 2/3. I'm really enjoying slow playing this game in both the main section and DZ.

Edited by Flibbity Floid

Yeah, it's like I get it but then they should make another lobby type where xp and loot aren't a factor. I wouldn't mind a straight up Free For All DZ mode that isn't dependent on the AI/loot. But I still feel that takes away from the atmosphere that it's supposed to be a mixed setting. If they add modes later, that's fine too. The DLC still sounds optimistically good.

Again, that's part of the risk and reward. If anything, I have no shortage of people to roll with if a group member goes full douchebag but for the most part, it's all in agreement. Last night was an example:

For the most part, we were just looking to hit 30 in the DZ before disbanding. I hit it first and even left the group, went rogue and let them kill me a couple times so one could get to bed. We mainly stayed in the first zone just to cycle through enemies. At the extraction by the gas station, some random came around, played it cool but killed me out of nowhere and ran off. He didn't take my stuff but another guy did. I was actually bitching about the looter bc he TOOK MY WALNUT SCARF!!! >=( About 20 min later, we ran into the guy who killed me who just kept hanging around us basically riding off our kills. I kept going on about how I was going to get my vengeance but my pals wanted to get their stuff out first. So at the same extraction a few minutes later, he sat in the little tent. With 20 seconds left, my friends said if I wanted to go for it, now is the time. So I boxed him in the tent with my extended mobile cover and we covered the whole inside plus him with super sticky bombs. My buddy also tossed his flame turret in. Ya know...just in case. He must have really wanted the purple mod piece and gun he found bc I went into game chat just before the massacre and he's just pleading with nobody really "please no no no I'm sorry I didn't mean it nononono..." and then we had to find a sponge. I also took and desconstructed the loot out of spite.

Vengeance is a dish best served at a table for four.

Overall, we spent a good 2 and a half hours just droning around and still barely hiked past DZ 2/3. I'm really enjoying slow playing this game in both the main section and DZ.

Brilliant!! Haha :D Bet he regretted killing you after that! A few misplaced hits is an accident, killing someone else? Yeh, not so much... I had a guy 'ping' me a couple of times with a pistol, I did wonder if he was testing my health & armour? I turned around and aimed my SMG at him (which batters the AI) and he put his hands up un a surrender pose and then legged it! Lol :)

I'm pretty sure this will defeat the purpose of the Dark Zone entirely. The mode was put into the game to create tension. Making it so there was no XP/loot lause would turn it into Deatmatch like in any other shooter. Sure they can add a Deatmatch mode but the reason Myself and I imagine many others purchased this game is because the Dark Zone as it is now makes the game stand out from everything else out there. I'm not sure if I'm in the minority but I love the Dark Zone as it is and if anything, they should increase the perks of going rogue to encourage it more often.

I'm pretty sure this will defeat the purpose of the Dark Zone entirely. The mode was put into the game to create tension. Making it so there was no XP/loot lause would turn it into Deatmatch like in any other shooter. Sure they can add a Deatmatch mode but the reason Myself and I imagine many others purchased this game is because the Dark Zone as it is now makes the game stand out from everything else out there. I'm not sure if I'm in the minority but I love the Dark Zone as it is and if anything, they should increase the perks of going rogue to encourage it more often.

No I totally agree. I'm just not opposed to it as say an optional mode. From what the dlc says, the Survival (2nd dlc) will turn the whole map into a Dark Zone event based on survivability. I would love to know the rest of the details.

@Khazrak - Yeah if you accidentally peg someone, you say something in game chat or put up the surrender. If you run, you meant to do it in my book. It was only so satisfying bc we encountered him again.

I jumped into the DZ for the first time last night, level 21 (Yeah, I'm a total coward). I've read lots of stories of people getting mullered on their own, but also of people teaming up with random strangers, and I generally play solo. I was running around for about 20 minutes or so, but didn't see a single human player. I did see that someone was extracting, but I was getting battered by the AI at the time, and he'd gone by the time I'd gotten there.

I see what people mean about the tense atmosphere in there tho, it's quite eerie with the fog and snow, seems really quiet too.

Hopefully this isn't a moronic question, but I'm looking for some clarification on the DZ with regard to rank. I'm level 10 in main game so just unlocked capability to enter the DZ. I've seen numerous posts about getting raped solo, but just wanted to see what it was about so went in, took out some AI, and noticed the DZ rank increases pretty quickly. However, I did indeed get destroyed by a threesome of rogue players who one shot downed me. They all showed rank 14 which I assume was their DZ rank..?? We were in zone 1. So my need for clarification is this... what is the functional difference between player rank and DZ rank? If I level my player rank thru main/side missions to get better gear, I'll fair better in the DZ, but still start out in zone 1 as my DZ rank will still be low? What's gained by leveling up DZ rank?

your Dz rank doesnt do anything to make your character stronger. the only thing the DZ rank can actually do is give you access to the dark zone vendors.

purples at dz rank 30 and high ends at dz rank 50. other than that the dz rank doesnt mean anything. so when it says you was killed by a rank 14 that means his character level was 14. if you was only just rank 10 then its not much surprise that he would one shot you

I jumped into the DZ for the first time last night, level 21 (Yeah, I'm a total coward). I've read lots of stories of people getting mullered on their own, but also of people teaming up with random strangers, and I generally play solo. I was running around for about 20 minutes or so, but didn't see a single human player. I did see that someone was extracting, but I was getting battered by the AI at the time, and he'd gone by the time I'd gotten there.

I see what people mean about the tense atmosphere in there tho, it's quite eerie with the fog and snow, seems really quiet too.

Man, when I first HEARD about the idea, I told myself "You're not going in there without some serious firepower". The idea was interesting but scary risky too. After the Beta, it was like jumping into the deep end first. It's more fun than you'd expect. I even said I didn't want to go in on the release until around level 10 (which ironically is when it prompts you to go) and we actually dove in like idiots on the midnight release around level 5-6'ish haha. We actually didn't run into many players (maybe 2?) but the AI SLAUGHTERED us. We were just shocked how they jumped up the spawn rate and size of the AI groups. It gets batshit tense compared to how desolate the Beta made it seem.

Last night I got on with the intention of getting more intel but we wound up spending about 2 hours in the Dark Zone just exploring. Need to trek more north. Rank 30 and 31 in Dark Zone. I love this game.

Last night I got on with the intention of getting more intel but we wound up spending about 2 hours in the Dark Zone just exploring. Need to trek more north. Rank 30 and 31 in Dark Zone. I love this game.

there is another phoenix vendor in the far north of the level 32 dz area. so thats one in home base and one in the dz. anyone know of any other phoenix vendors.

its pretty funny how empty the dz is up in the level 32 zone, its extremely rare that you would see a player up there. that said the AI groups up there are no joke, if your not careful they will kill you pretty damn fast...but with so few players up there your stuff will be pretty safe for you to go and pick up lol

there is another phoenix vendor in the far north of the level 32 dz area. so thats one in home base and one in the dz. anyone know of any other phoenix vendors.

its pretty funny how empty the dz is up in the level 32 zone, its extremely rare that you would see a player up there. that said the AI groups up there are no joke, if your not careful they will kill you pretty damn fast...but with so few players up there your stuff will be pretty safe for you to go and pick up lol

Exactly why. We trekked into DZ 2 or 3 against some 31-31 AI's and I just wanted to see the nearest extraction point. With four of us, it took about 40 minutes, 2 extraction attempts and about 4 repetitively spawning AI groups. One was practically a batch of nothing but snipers! It was intense but man did we jump a couple levels.

I feel the Dark Zone is one of the few MP elements in any game that is truly deserving of the disclaimer "Your Online Experience May Vary...". Not once have I trekked past the same gas station area and felt it was a repeat of yesterday or an hour ago. Sometimes there's players just jamming around, sometimes there's rogues or a manhunt happening, sometimes the street is flooded with AI fighting each other (another awesome element).

I like things that are innovative yet unconventional. Two other semi-unique games I loved for the unorthodox online modes that never made their mark were Kane & Lynch and Aliens vs Predator. Both had terrible mechanics but amazing concepts.

Exactly why. We trekked into DZ 2 or 3 against some 31-31 AI's and I just wanted to see the nearest extraction point. With four of us, it took about 40 minutes, 2 extraction attempts and about 4 repetitively spawning AI groups. One was practically a batch of nothing but snipers! It was intense but man did we jump a couple levels.

i know what you mean man, there is a landmark called mid town music in the top end level 32 zone, that shit is a firefight and a half man. you got the LMB with a named special enemy and all his buddies fighting the cleaners and one of their special enemies though not a named one. so its just a big 3 way battle when you join in.

now i know atm there are rarely any players in the top end of the dark zone but when people start going up there that spot is gonna be a potential 4 way battles with the sly players going rogue when your swarmed with Ai

I'm currently player level 19 so am in the DZ bracket with levels 15-19. My friend scarcely plays and is level 11. If I join his world, can we group together & play in the DZ? If so, will he be in my bracket with higher level players or will I be in his having entered through his game world?

I know we can figure this out on our own, but he's not on often & I don't want to get him hyped about the DZ if we can't really play together until our levels even out.

I'm currently player level 19 so am in the DZ bracket with levels 15-19. My friend scarcely plays and is level 11. If I join his world, can we group together & play in the DZ? If so, will he be in my bracket with higher level players or will I be in his having entered through his game world?

I know we can figure this out on our own, but he's not on often & I don't want to get him hyped about the DZ if we can't really play together until our levels even out.

Whether playing in someone elses main game (doesn't matter who's group leader), enemies will be scaled to the higher player and capping at 25. Basically, all enemies of higher players 25 and above, will be 25.

The Dark Zone, the lower player will have to go into the higher persons DZ bracket. While there is the risk of losing xp while dying, it's far easier to earn xp in the DZ than main world.

Main Game - Enemies scale to higher player

Dark Zone - Lower players have to transfer to higher player DZ

Whether playing in someone elses main game (doesn't matter who's group leader), enemies will be scaled to the higher player and capping at 25. Basically, all enemies of higher players 25 and above, will be 25.

The Dark Zone, the lower player will have to go into the higher persons DZ bracket. While there is the risk of losing xp while dying, it's far easier to earn xp in the DZ than main world.

Main Game - Enemies scale to higher player

Dark Zone - Lower players have to transfer to higher player DZ

Ok, cool. That would have been my assumption as it makes the most sense. Otherwise a high level player could be a dick and go rouge with a low level in his group and just destroy everyone. I'll just run through some main missions with him to get him closer to my player rank so he's not so underleveled. Thanks for the quick reply.

Ok, cool. That would have been my assumption as it makes the most sense. Otherwise a high level player could be a dick and go rouge with a low level in his group and just destroy everyone. I'll just run through some main missions with him to get him closer to my player rank so he's not so underleveled. Thanks for the quick reply.

It's not as bad as DZ enemies are still only based on your main game level. DZ rank is mostly for server matching and DZ vendors. Otherwise, we were level 30 and dragging our friend who was 22 and he was fine.

No problem.

Walked into the Dark Zone, Zone 1 checkpoint. Sniped as soon as went through the door by rogue agents camping. Wasn't looking for a fight, looking to make my way through.

Dark Zone needs as a passive mode in times like this - and for when you are in a massive fight for all and don't accidentally become rogue yourself.

Worst part of this terrific game in my eyes.

Walked into the Dark Zone, Zone 1 checkpoint. Sniped as soon as went through the door by rogue agents camping. Wasn't looking for a fight, looking to make my way through.

Dark Zone needs as a passive mode in times like this - and for when you are in a massive fight for all and don't accidentally become rogue yourself.

Worst part of this terrific game in my eyes.

I never go into DZ1 doors always 2/3 when on my own. As a group always DZ6, less grief that way.

I guess I'll ask this question here... It's about Dark Zone etiquette. I grouped up with some guys yesterday who were way above me in level (I'm Level 16) and they helped me out quite a bit getting better loot and leveling up. Most of the stuff that dropped was blue or purple and they ignored it because it was crap (for them, not me). My question is, if something drops is it first come, first served? Whoever gets to it first and snatches it gets it? Or when something drops does everyone have access to it? I didn't want to be an ass accidently snatching something they were waiting to drop.

Also, for the 'Kill a Named Boss in the Dark Zone' achievement...do you have to be the person who shoots the last bullet or whatever for it to count or just be part of the group who is battling the boss?

I guess I'll ask this question here... It's about Dark Zone etiquette. I grouped up with some guys yesterday who were way above me in level (I'm Level 16) and they helped me out quite a bit getting better loot and leveling up. Most of the stuff that dropped was blue or purple and they ignored it because it was crap (for them, not me). My question is, if something drops is it first come, first served? Whoever gets to it first and snatches it gets it? Or when something drops does everyone have access to it? I didn't want to be an ass accidently snatching something they were waiting to drop.

Also, for the 'Kill a Named Boss in the Dark Zone' achievement...do you have to be the person who shoots the last bullet or whatever for it to count or just be part of the group who is battling the boss?

when it comes to killing A.I enemies in the DZ everyone gets their own personal drops, so pick up anything you want. this includes any chests

the only exception is real player item drops. if a player is killed and he drops loot, its first come first served. only one can pick up player dropped loot.

and yes you need to be the player who kills the named enemy to get that achievement

Thanks for the info ! Knowing that helps a lot. Just one more question... I see people boosting for killing Rogue agents. What happens when you go Rogue and get killed? Do you lose XP, stuff, anything? I thought there was a severe penalty when you turn rogue and then get killed?

Thanks for the info ! Knowing that helps a lot. Just one more question... I see people boosting for killing Rogue agents. What happens when you go Rogue and get killed? Do you lose XP, stuff, anything? I thought there was a severe penalty when you turn rogue and then get killed?

You lose DZ XP, credits, keys. It isn't much, really. You could get killed 20 times and just need to clear one landmark to get it all back (except maybe the keys).