Seen an annoying ad? Let us know here!

Webb

Have you ever stumbled across an ad that you deem intrusive or annoying? Well, this is the place to report such ads, but first a little information...

How do you sell our ads?

This is the most important aspect, so I'm starting with it: our ads are sold by third-party ad partners situated around the globe. These ad partners are responsible for all ads delivered in those regions. We have partners in North America, the UK, Europe and Australia; and it is their job to sell ads for us and deliver them to you. Our message to our partners is simple: we want ads that exist around our stellar content, ads that aren't intrusive or annoying. That's all we ask of them. While on the whole they do a stellar job, because they deal with such a large amount of traffic and different advertisers themselves, sometimes intrusive and annoying ads slip through the net. This thread is here to nuke those pesky ones!

What do you mean "intrusive or annoying"?

What we don't mean by intrusive or annoying is this: we don't mean ads where you don't like the product or agree with the message, although our partners try to sell ads that fit with you, our audience - so video games, films, TV, music, etc. etc.

When we say intrusive we mean this: full-page ads that show up every time you load a page, ads that pop-up too easily (we usually require expanding content to be initiated by a click or at least a 5-second hover of the mouse) or ads that play with the sound not muted by default. These are ads we do not want and this is the thread where you report them. For full-page ads that appear before you visit the site, we limit them to one per day for a user, if you see them all the time, report them here too.

How do we report them? What do you need to get them nuked?

Because we have so many ad partners, working out who is delivering that specific ad is usually half the battle, and you can help us out here with that - and thus, we can get them removed quicker. What we need from you is the following:

• Region - Where in the world were you when you saw this ad? We need country as a minimum. City would help too though.
  • Browser/Platform - Where did you see the ad? On a phone? If so, what phone? What browser? On a PC? What browser did you use? What version if possible?
  • Brand - What was the advertisement for?
  • Links - Where did the link go when you clicked it?
  • Other - If you can screenshot the ad, then this makes our job so much easier!

Why are ads so important?

Well, quite simply put, without the ads we'd cease to exist. Advertisements pay for everything around here. From our servers to our day-to-day running costs, adverts help keep the site up and running, and without them, we'd be homeless. Seriously.

Is there another way we can support you?

Absolutely. If you subscribe to us, you won't actually see any ads while you're logged in, no matter what device. This isn't us saying: subscribe to us and we'll remove the ads. This is a case of us saying to those who help support this site with a subscription: "You guys and girls rock, thanks you so much for supporting us, as a token of our gratitude, let us remove the ads for you."

I think that about covers it. Let me end this by stressing the following: our ads pay the bills around here, but regardless of that, we don't want any intrusive ads on the site, but sometimes they slip through the net, here's where you report those ads and we nuke them as quick as humanly possible.

Thanks for your time, as always. Keep achieving!

Edited by Webb
  • Thanks 1

There is this horrific ad that shows up loads on my phone whenever I go to look at a page on XBA. It's one where they say "you've won a free iPhone" and direct you to another site. When I go back to the previous page on XBA, it pops up again. So, I can never actually read much on my phone without this "free iPhone" ad consistently showing.

- I saw this ad in the UK, on my iPhone 5S's Safari.

- The advertisement was saying that you had won an iPhone.

- I have absolutely no clue where the ad took me; it just went to some random website on the web.

- I can try to upload a picture of the ad later (I'm currently on PC).

Every time I access your site on my iphone over the last day or so I get redirected immediately to one of several different sites with a variety of supposed prizes, etc. Like the previous poster, if I try and click back I go through a constant cycle of not being able to access your site and everytime it loads one of these ads kicks in again, and I also had a ad similar to the poster above which, when browsing your website beside my wife does not look good as you can imagine!!

Chaps, like I said above, I need as much details as possible:

Region - Where in the world were you when you saw this ad? We need country as a minimum. City would help too though.

Browser/Platform - Where did you see the ad? On a phone? If so, what phone? What browser? On a PC? What browser did you use? What version if possible?

Brand - What was the advertisement for?

Links - Where did the link go when you clicked it?

Other - If you can screenshot the ad, then this makes our job so much easier!

The more info the better and the more we can get these removed ASAP. Thanks!

Apologies:

Region - North Wales, Holywell (Flintshire) to be specific

Browser/Platform - iphone 6 on safari os

Brand - King.com - mobile games is main site it links to but also tried to link to a site called digitalmacaronni.com, not too sure on the 'adult tinder' style one, to be honest I, for obvious reasons, didn't keep it on my screen long enough to check!

Links - king.com and digitalmacaronni.com (these were the 2 that came up in 5 attempts to access your site - King.com was the worst, directed to that 3 out of the 5 times!)

Other - not sure how to attach a pic, sorry

• 3 weeks later...

An annoying ad keeps popping up on EVERY PAGE of the site when I browse on my phone. And 9 times out of 10 clicking the little X just sends me to the site instead of closing it. Makes browsing the forums nearly impossible.

Region - Central Time Zone

Browser/Platform - Google Chrome / Phone

Brand - Time Warner Cable

Links - http://www.timewarnercable.com

Other -

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i.imgur.com/zQTh0zw.png[/img]

An annoying ad keeps popping up on EVERY PAGE of the site when I browse on my phone. And 9 times out of 10 clicking the little X just sends me to the site instead of closing it. Makes browsing the forums nearly impossible.

Links - www.timewarnercable.com

Other -

Seconded. Came on here to make this post today about this ad. I don't use pop up/ad blockers because I know that's how this site makes its money, but this one is unruly.

Okay, chaps. Leave it with me. I'll speak to our US ad team now.

EDIT: Sent an email to our US ad team, hopefully they nuke it ASAP. Fingers crossed. If it's still around in, say, about 8 hours, feel free to bump this thread =)

Edited by Webb

• 3 weeks later...

I was trying to read the comments for the new 360 Infinity achievements on my iPad. An ad for Nissan vans, I think, was popping in and out on the bottom of the page at about half second intervals, expanding and shrinking the page every time, rendering it unreadable.

Links - www.timewarnercable.com

Other -

Still getting this type of pop up. Same location, same time, etc. But now it is for John Deere.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps,

Sorry, forgot to reply the first time. Asked for it to be removed, will ask again though. Sorry about this, these are exactly the kind of ads we don't want.

Leave it with me.

EDIT: Requested again that it be removed, hopefully when our US ad partners get into the office, they'll remove it. Thanks again for the heads-up, folks.

Edited by Webb

Hey folks, can someone take me a snap, get me a URL for that John Deere ad, please? Our ad partners are having trouble tracking it down. Just confirmed that the Time Warner ad has been removed though. It unfortunately slipped through the net.

I'll grab one for you. It's John Deere and now another one, too. But the Time Warner is still there for me as well. It's made the site impossible to use on mobile as the ad is only there for mobile.

• 3 weeks later...