Seen an annoying ad? Let us know here!

Webb

It sounds like in some of those threads, there are users with old signatures containing gamercards that link to Raptr.com. Just don't click on any old gamercard links and you'll be fine. Raptr used to be a social media-type site where you could track how many hours you had played in video games (I used to use it for World of Warcraft).

• 3 weeks later...

Are the videos that pop up on the main page and play automatically with sound enabled ever going to go away? They get reported all the time but new ones replace them, which kind of defeats the purpose of having somewhere to report annoying ads.

Would getting a mobile ad blocker resolve the issue? If so, does anyone know of a free one that does a good job?

Hey Floyd, ads on the site should never start with audio, let me know which ones and I'll speak to the guys. I'll also try and get them to find a solution where no ads start with sound - all sound on ads should be user initiated, we made that clear to the guys that sell our ads. Let me know.

And yeah, with the Raptr stuff, Google doesn't like it. It's old signatures, basically. If you spot a thread that it comes up on, link here and I'll go through and remove Raptr from the people's signatures in that thread - been doing it every time I come across one for the last few months.

@Trevor - Sorry, mate, totally missed your message! My bad! We're working on a solution for that ad (and all ads, actually) and should have a much better solution in place by the end of the month (fingers crossed).

Are the videos that pop up on the main page and play automatically with sound enabled ever going to go away? They get reported all the time but new ones replace them, which kind of defeats the purpose of having somewhere to report annoying ads.

Would getting a mobile ad blocker resolve the issue? If so, does anyone know of a free one that does a good job?

You're seeing audible ads on your phone on the main page? Because I use my phone exclusively for this site, and I don't see a single ad on the main page, let alone one with audio. And I'm not using any kind of ad blocker software either. Nothing I've downloaded or installed anyway.

You're seeing audible ads on your phone on the main page? Because I use my phone exclusively for this site, and I don't see a single ad on the main page, let alone one with audio. And I'm not using any kind of ad blocker software either. Nothing I've downloaded or installed anyway.

Yes. I also exclusively use my phone and when I go to the main page, a video will pop up at the bottom and start playing with sound on. If I make the mistake of leaving the front page of XBA on my browser when I close my phone, it will even play the sound of the video with my phone closed. At all times, there are at least three ads, usually four, including the huge banner at the top and a video. By Webb's own admission, there are five ad zones on the front page.

Webb, honestly, what's the point of continuing to report them when they don't go away? You even said you told the ad guys specifically not to do it but here we are. The videos that do it are: All of them.

Edited by Floyd.
No point

I'm not sure if you did anything on your end, but thank you if that was you - all the videos on the front page are now muted by default.

Edit: Nope, never mind. They are back again with a fresh batch of ads and volume on.

Edited by Floyd.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm not sure if you did anything on your end, but thank you if that was you - all the videos on the front page are now muted by default.

Edit: Nope, never mind. They are back again with a fresh batch of ads and volume on.

Aye, the same here. Tis quite annoying. I can mute the video if I click the video to turn the sound on and then click it again to "remute" it. It is starting to come to the point where I won't be using the site on a mobile device if this keeps up, which is disappointing because I tend to find unique news here and rather enjoy the site. :(

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Still getting videos that automatically play with sound on. Is it safe to say that these will never go away?

The latest offender is for lotions or some cream.

Hey Floyd, ads on the site should never start with audio, let me know which ones and I'll speak to the guys. I'll also try and get them to find a solution where no ads start with sound - all sound on ads should be user initiated, we made that clear to the guys that sell our ads.

From three and a half months ago.

Edit: Just got another one for Twitch advertising an upcoming ESO stream.

Edit 2: Today it was for Hydra Sense eye drops.

Edit 3: Another one from Buick.

Edited by Floyd.

I don't even go on the main page anymore, ads are freaking everywhere. They overlap the news section and they change, so I don't even dare try to click on what should be a link to say upcoming games or reviews in case an ad suddenly decides to overlap that. I only come to the forum now.

• 5 months later...

Ads pop up blocking half my screen every 3 seconds... I know you guys need the revenue but Jesus Christ... Can't even go through an achievement checklist. Everytime I try to scroll down or check off an achievement, or even read a guide an ad pops up and completely stops me from doing what I need to do. Your site has become unusable.

You aren't wrong. It's the biggest influence in why I became a subscriber. Doing so gets rid of all ads, and it's well worth the money for me because of how often I use this site. And I'm not saying it to promote you giving money to the site (I have no idea where that money even ends up), but purely from a practical standpoint, I can't deal with all those ads. I've gone on the site on devices not signed in, and it's brutal dealing with all the ads. Something to consider, for what it's worth, unless or until the people in charge make any change to that.

The ads in this site can be really intrusive. That is why I use an ad-blocker. The site gets its revenue, while I get to browse the content without being bombarded with ads. Win-win.
My default setting for my ad blocker is to allow ads and I blacklist a site only if they become what I consider to be excessive. I blacklisted this site quite a while ago to cut back on some of the ads although the Google ones still get served at an acceptable rate for me.

• 5 months later...

These new full screen ads on EVERY SINGLE PAGE on mobile have made this site completely unusable. Click on new page, try to scroll down, ad comes up and drags you back to the top. Made even better when it puts you in a forced reload of the page as it  keeps repeating the process without ever letting you out.