Last fight on hard "Spoilers"

Chpainkiller

it does. the camera turns and focuses on the bomb when it is about to go off.

For the huge ones, yes. But not for the smaller ones which are constantly being generated which can also instant kill. And it's the little ones that are the problem in my experience.

Just to shed a little light on the signs one is about to happen - as previously mentioned, the floor will start to turn orange. You'll hear a noise start to build, followed by the actual explosion. After this happens, the area will still be very orange which can be quite confusing, but as long as you've heard the explosion you will be totally fine. You can even run through the explosion area while it still looks like a mushroom cloud. Everything will then slowly return to blue, and it's then that you need to keep an eye out for the orange again.

It took me about 10 tries but I got there in the end. It was frustrating, but every death I had was my own fault.

It was always the time bombs that Serene was throwing that killed me. You can hear when they're about to drop, and with the floor turning orange, you will soon learn when to Time Dodge to avoid dying. I took my time with the Heavy in wave two, taking pot shots here and there as I circled the swimming pool, before eventually rushing past him and blasting him in the back with a few shotgun shells, which took him out. Then, you've just got three of Serene's big blasts to dodge, which is easy enough.

...and I finally do it, on Hard, but I'm stiffed of the achievement! Awesome! Not even the usual 'Done...Unlocking' thing. That just about sums up my experience with this game.

Anyone know if they've gotta be completed in order on a single playthru? I did it on timeline, missed finishing one part on Hard as I skipped out after grabbing all the collectibles without thinking, so I haven't completed them in order, but I have completed the game on hard.

Edited by UberPirateNinja

If someone still struggle with the boss, here is my easy strategy with time rush and melee :D For me it is the easiest an fastest way to beat this encounter.

At the end of the fight I only shoot the boss twice with my pistol, and use 3-4 bullets in the back of the larger enemy in round 2, that all, all other with melee and I need only 3.5 minutes for the entire fight.

Got it in two tries with this strategy.

Stressful, i ended up just running around the swimming pool in a loop, shotgunning the enemies as i passed them and repeating, exact same for the second round but i when it came to the big guy, i just used time rush time rush and used the focus to shotgun then ran a loop and repeated until it was dead.

I used a heavy pistol for all the chumps. Just time dodge, aim for the head, blam. For the heavy, a shotgun to the spine. a simple pistol shot when serene is exposed. When he does his attack, just run out of the way (without using powers, save them) when the ground is red. It is very easy to avoid. When you hit him, be in a corner so that when he focuses the blast wave, just run to the other side of the room. His attack will never hit you. After the second wave of monarch chumps, he does the shockwave attack 3 times, instead of just once. The entire game is easy, even on hard, and it took me a few minutes of dying on this battle to figure it out.

• 1 month later...

All of this headache would be alleviated if Remedy had just put a bloody checkpoint between the two waves. Or give us the option to bump down the difficulty after the tenth cheap death in a row.

The frustration level with this battle reminds me of playing the stage battles in Brütal Legend. There was one at the end of the game that I could not win, despite looking up guides and trying over and over. I liked the game a lot, but hated the stage battles.

• 4 weeks later...

Took me 26 attempts to finally get this on hard. For anyone having trouble, would recommend you spend a few deaths just watching how the time blast is launched against you, so you see the pattern it follows. I ended up hanging out in the back corner quite a bit, waiting for the time blast to start, and then dodging away until it was done, and then back to that corner again to rinse and repeat since there weren't many obstacles in the way there.

Overall I would say my biggest complaint with this game is that it wasn't fun.

Shame the developers never fixed in a patch, tbh the boss fight as it is never should of made into the game. Was the designers rushed for time? couldn't be bothered?

It took me quite a few goes on normal until I knew what to do but it would of been less painful if there was checkpoint between the waves and not having a cutscene then loading before you try again. Also the "boss" fight isn't even a boss fight, you are shooting waves of bad guys, dodge some cheap attack then shoot the main bad guy then repeat but with heavy enemy this time. Meh

• 3 weeks later...

For anyone struggling with the final battle, I STRONGLY recommend replaying Act 5 part 2 and coming into the fight with Serene with the carbine. It makes the two waves a cake walk. Also, try to end the 2nd wave at the back of the pool. That way you can run to the front of the pool for his first blast, then run to the back of the pool for his second blast, then finally running back to the front for his third blast. Then you're right there to shoot him when his shield goes down.

• 7 months later...

Start with Shotgun, then switch the machine gun on top of the crate. The machine gun will help you kill that Monarck agent wearing armor. To kill the others, shotgun or LB + B. Do not stand still, especially in Paul Serene's explosions. When the screen turns red, use and abuse to hold the LB or double click on the same LB, in short, the runs.