Can anyone help with 3DS XL advise?

Jamski

Hi all.

So we're thinking of getting our son a 3DS XL for christmas. He's only 6 but loves games (he has a good balance of games/playing/exercise and school before anyone asks!) and he's massively into Pokemon.

Just wanted to check the 3DS XL is the latest model, nothing new is planned soon, that sort of thing.

He's also asked for a new Skylanders for the 360, so there's an xbox balance! ;) In fact, the 3DS will be a surprise, but he'll love it!

Any advise welcome.

Thanks,

James.

Honestly, the 3DS XL is the best fit for a young child into gaming, especially if he likes Pokemon. The new Pokemon Sun/Moon launches November 18th and is basically a reimagining of the originals in a new location. All the original Pokemon are in it but now they have regional variants so they look different, have different evolution patterns, moves, etc.

I highly recommend it for your son. There's always something new coming around the corner but I enjoy mine, pretty much exclusively for Pokemon.

Just get him to turn off the 3D slider. It doesn't work very well and makes your eyes sore quickly.

Honestly, the 3DS XL is the best fit for a young child into gaming, especially if he likes Pokemon. The new Pokemon Sun/Moon launches November 18th and is basically a reimagining of the originals in a new location. All the original Pokemon are in it but now they have regional variants so they look different, have different evolution patterns, moves, etc.

I highly recommend it for your son. There's always something new coming around the corner but I enjoy mine, pretty much exclusively for Pokemon.

Just get him to turn off the 3D slider. It doesn't work very well and makes your eyes sore quickly.

Thanks very much. Is it still worth getting the 3DS XL over just the DSi XL or the 2DS? SO many options on Amazon, I can't get my head round it for some reason.

The 2DS is another option if you have concerns about your son accidentally breaking the 3DS in half. I had one for a little while before giving it away and upgrading to the New Nintendo 3DS XL early last year. The 2DS felt very durable and comfy to hold, I think it's a good fit for a younger child. There's no 3D support with the 2DS, if you're worried about your son straining his eyes with 3D as he plays then the 2DS could be a better option.

Ignore the original DS line (Nintendo DS, DS Lite, DSi) and stick to the 3DS line (3DS, 2DS, New 3DS). You can play original DS games on the 3DS systems.

The 2DS is another option if you have concerns about your son accidentally breaking the 3DS in half. I had one for a little while before giving it away and upgrading to the New Nintendo 3DS XL early last year. The 2DS felt very durable and comfy to hold, I think it's a good fit for a younger child. There's no 3D support with the 2DS, if you're worried about your son straining his eyes with 3D as he plays then the 2DS could be a better option.

Ignore the original DS line (Nintendo DS, DS Lite, DSi) and stick to the 3DS line (3DS, 2DS, New 3DS). You can play original DS games on the 3DS systems.

Cool, we have an old ds, but it's not 'his'. He's a careful kid so should be fine with the flippy thing.

Next question, games. So the new Pokemon for instance, has 3DS on the box, so will this play on the 2DS? Are all the games compatible with all the hardware of the same generation?