(Kind of new to the franchise)Should I buy this?

XxBlueSpade2xX

I was. CoD diehard until the franchise went futuristic. Wall running, 20-foot jumps, mech limbs, etc., and the campaign just isn't (IMO) what it used to be. Black Ops 2 is where they lost me. I even (marginally) enjoyed Ghosts for the soul fact of "back to basics), i.e. A decent campaign and no plot that heavily envolved mechanically enhanced soldiers.

I always liked the small maps and run and gun style. I played, and enjoyed Hardline, dot the most part. Nice variation from the regular elite soldier theme. This Battlefield has me interested though.

Nice to see a throwback, at least before 2156 or whatever.

I love a good campaign. Does this one have that? At least an enjoyable one.

I live for MP, but the vehicles have always felt "too much", for me at least. Can you snipe, run and gun without missing out on a major part of the game?

Everything I've seen looks fantastic. But the reviews for MP always seem to focus on the vehicles.

There are a ton of games out right now. Based on what you've read in this post, does it seem to be a title I could get in to?

It doesn't have to be a Game of the Yearand blow me away to buy it. But, do you think it's worth $65.00?

Edited by XxBlueSpade2xX

This is the most amazing FPS I have ever played. But, I have never been a diehard COD fan. Well, that's not true. I loved them all the way up to modern warfare. Then they lost me. I always loved the older COD campaigns, and still do enjoy them in the newer games but I would prefer the older games. But battlefield has the best multiplayer hands down. The battlefield campaigns in my opinion are never as good as COD's... until this game. Single player in this game is amazing as well as the multiplayer. COD will have a hard time topping this single player and multiplayer. And for the record I am getting COD infinite... but if it were not for the infinite warfare I would wait (and probably get it much later). Yep, Im a sucker...

I think your best bet would be to buy a month of EA Access and try it before you buy it. There are 3 game modes without vehicles (TDM, Domination & War Pidgeon) that you could get stuck into on 9 maps with a free 10th map released to everyone in December. The campaign is really good but also quite short.

The multiplayer in BF, for me, blows cod out of the water. There's less customization in BF, less weapon unlocks, no wacky pink & neon green camos, so if you love to unlock stuff ALL the time you won't get as much of that with BF but it's definitely more based in the real world and the guns/camos that you CAN unlock offer enough gameplay differences to keep it interesting.

If you do get EA Access and try it, definitely try the Operations game mode or Conquest. Both game modes have vehicles in them but offer the true BF experience

Honestly BF1 is a blast, alone or with friends, CoD fan or not. Don't let the vehicles scare you you can more than well survive on all the maps on-foot even in the bigger modes like Conquest and Operations. I'm not a vehicle dude either unless I'm paying with friends. The campaign like Grey Delta said is really good, one of the best Battlefield campaigns imo but just like all military shooters its very short but a worthwhile experience.

First off, let me start off by saying that I have been a die hard Battlefield fan since the start of the series. I've always played through the campaign quickly and jumped into multiplayer because hey, Battlefield is all about the multiplayer. I was never a Call of Duty multiplayer fan and I would rent them for the campaigns and send them back. CoD multiplayer was too filled with campers for me and the small close quarters maps weren't really my thing. Now for your question on whether you should get Battlefield 1, I'll run through the pros and cons of the game.

PROS:

- A single player campaign that stays true to the open maps of multiplayer

- Campaign introduces you to vehicles and how to control them and these controls stay the same for MP

- Gorgeous graphics & sounds amazing. Each weapon has a distinct feel and feels true to the WWI era.

- Multiple MP game modes for everyone. Conquest/rush/operations if you enjoy vehicles and TDM, Domination and War Pigeons if you want infantry only. Also the ability to change player count for game modes. You can pick from 40 or 64 players in Operations and 32 or 64 in Conquest. Not sure on the other modes.

CONS:

- Campaign is quite short, but that is not unusual for FPS games.

- Lack of customization options for weapons. You won't be getting constant unlocks like Call of Duty, but the game is staying true to the time period. While the ability to purchase what guns/gadgets you unlock by spending war bonds (earned for leveling up) is nice, there isn't much to purchase.

- Most guns have multiples variations that don't really differ much

- Only 9 maps at release, so you may find it gets repetitive. However, free map coming in December for everyone and 16 more maps coming in future DLCs.

- Occassional lag that is so intense that the game is unplayable unless you restart.

Conclusion: This is my favorite Battlefield to date (perhaps second only to Bad Company 2: Vietnam DLC). If you enjoyed any of the other Battlefields that you played, you will enjoy this. I've put 50+ hours already into the MP and I still haven't even scratched the surface of boredom. Also, you can most definitely play Conquest and other game modes that have vehicles without ever getting into a vehicle and do perfectly fine. Maybe try the smaller player count options so you don't have to run as far. Hope this quick review helps you make up your mind. Hope to see you on the Battlefield!

Edited by FSparacino4

First off, let me start off by saying that I have been a die hard Battlefield fan since the start of the series. I've always played through the campaign quickly and jumped into multiplayer because hey, Battlefield is all about the multiplayer. I was never a Call of Duty multiplayer fan and I would rent them for the campaigns and send them back. CoD multiplayer was too filled with campers for me and the small close quarters maps weren't really begin. Now for your question on whether you should get Battlefield 1, I'll run through the pros and cons of the game.

PROS:

- A single player campaign that stays true to the open maps of multiplayer

- Campaign introduces you to vehicles and how to control them and these controls stay the same for MP

- Gorgeous graphics & sounds amazing. Each weapon has a distinct feel and feels true to the WWI era.

- Multiple MP game modes for everyone. Conquest/rush/operations if you enjoy vehicles and TDM, Domination and War Pigeons if you want infantry only. Also the ability to change player count for game modes. You can pick from 40 or 64 players in Operations and 32 or 64 in Conquest. Not sure on the other modes.

CONS:

- Campaign is quite short, but that is not unusual for FPS games.

- Lack of customization options for weapons. You won't be getting constant unlocks like Call of Duty, but the game is staying true to the time period. While the ability to purchase what guns/gadgets you unlock by spending war bonds (earned for leveling up) is nice, there isn't much to purchase.

- Most guns have multiples variations that don't really differ much

- Only 9 maps at release, so you may find it gets repetitive. However, free map coming in December for everyone and 16 more maps coming in future DLCs.

- Occassional lag that is so intense that the game is unplayable unless you restart.

Conclusion: This is my favorite Battlefield to date (perhaps second only to Bad Company 2: Vietnam DLC). If you enjoyed any of the other Battlefields that you played, you will enjoy this. I've put 50+ hours already into the MP and I still haven't even scratched the surface of boredom. Also, you can most definitely play Conquest and other game modes that have vehicles without ever getting into a vehicle and do perfectly fine. Maybe try the smaller player count options so you don't have to run as far. Hope this quick review helps you make up your mind. Hope to see you on the Battlefield!

Very nice review. I agree on most of your points except for the lag simply because I personally never experienced that.

The single player is good enough. It serves as an intro to the maps and gives some nice history on World War I, which is largely a forgotten war at this point.

Very nice review. I agree on most of your points except for the lag simply because I personally never experienced that.

The single player is good enough. It serves as an intro to the maps and gives some nice history on World War I, which is largely a forgotten war at this point.

I think the lag has to do with either:

(1) Double tapping the home button to record videos as I record quite often during Battlefield sessions and the lag seems to happen after that; or

(2) Shutting my Xbox off without quitting out of the game first as I tend to get lag when first starting up the game.

I was. CoD diehard until the franchise went futuristic.

Everything I've seen looks fantastic. But the reviews for MP always seem to focus on the vehicles.

It doesn't have to be a Game of the Yearand blow me away to buy it. But, do you think it's worth $65.00?

You will definitely love the "Domination" MP mode. That might be enough to warrant full price. The campaign is very good, but fairly short.

But I highly, HIGHLY recommend trying the objective-based modes, even if you never choose a class other than Assault. Hop into vehicles and man a machine gun. (Press A button to change available seats.) Maybe you end up liking it. (Don't drive if you don't want to / don't know how to do it well.)

(But gotta say this : If you don't feel like playing the role of Medic, Ammo-Support, or Recon, then PLEASE don't pick them and try to play CoD with them. WAY too many people who already do that / fail.)

(But gotta say this : If you don't feel like playing the role of Medic, Ammo-Support, or Recon, then PLEASE don't pick them and try to play CoD with them. WAY too many people who already do that / fail.)

Today I bitched out a medic in my squad who literally ran around the room I got killed in doing nothing until my revive timer ran out. His response was "Go fuck yourself, I'm going for kills." People like this should be fucking banned from all but TDM!

Today I bitched out a medic in my squad who literally ran around the room I got killed in doing nothing until my revive timer ran out. His response was "Go fuck yourself, I'm going for kills." People like this should be fucking banned from all but TDM!

Hahaha sucks for him! on most games I end up with a 1:1 k/d, my main goal is running in a reviving/ healing the shit out of everyone. I have gone 3-4 lives without a kill but I stay near the top of the leader board by all the points I get from capping points and saving people, when I am in an area with no one needing a revive I can get roughly 4-5 kills before dying.

I really wish that more people realized that those "scrubs" with more deaths than kills at the top of the leader board aren't there through 'hax,' they are there because they PTFO and played their class. So far my best game was on Suez where my team capped B and we had set up a line of assault/support up front on the dunes and 5-6 of us medics behind them, when someone went down you saw a mad scramble as all the medics converged to revive the downed teammates. We would occasionally pop up and fire off some pot-shots, the support guys would throw down ammo and while we were holding that line the tanks went around the flanks and capped C. By far the most enjoyable and most team work oriented game I have ever played in on BF1, I really wish all my games were that coordinated but sadly I tend to be able to only rely on my Squad of friends.