Thoughts?

Tussell

I'm shocked that there hasn't been any real discussion about this title since it released... How disappointing! :(

I purchased the game on PC the day it dropped, but unfortunately didn't have time to play it. The next day I had one of my buddies over before we headed to Denver for a show, and we played co-op for about an hour and a half.

I like to think that we're pretty good gamers, but we were shocked at the difficulty level on this one. It's by no means comparable to something like Mega Man, but it's definitely not as simple as I had expected. You can change the difficulty, but unfortunately cannot properly progress through the story playing on any simpler difficulties. With that said, I never play anything easier than normal, regardless of the game.

Though I knew it was going to be the case, the visuals are absolutely stunning, the music is great, and overall the aesthetic is perfectly executed. Everything about it feels like a legitimate early 1900's cartoon. The characters are memorable and unique, the bosses are certainly unique, and though the story itself is fairly mundane, you're likely to find yourself entertained.

The co-op was very smooth, but I have yet to determine if it increases the difficulty, as I haven't played solo yet. It works wonderfully as a couch co-op experience, but I do wish they included online co-op, as one of my friends loves platformers, but lives on the other side of the US, haha.

For its current asking price, $19.99, I highly recommend the game. If you're able to find it cheaper, you'd be doing yourself a disservice! I cannot wait to see this game through!

Thoughts?

I think this game is fantastic. A must buy. I love the challenge, the art style, the music and the design of the bosses. The levels get consistently harder as you play but you keep getting better, and the game slows down as you start to understand the mechanisms. Going back to earlier bosses, you question how you even had any trouble at all. I recommend not switching to simple mode, as you miss a big section of the bosses.

I am currently finishing up the A- achievements and the half way through the expert achievement and I hope they add some dlc. This is an abolute must buy.

It is a great game, but to me personally it would be nice for some changes/ add ons.

-Leader boards - the game wants you to get a high rank, but I think it would be nice for a fastest time of beating the game, and fastest time of each boss, why don't we have them?

-Consistency - Trying to get A+ rank but the best way to do that is restart if the boss didn't use the right move right away (parry moves). Or you could make the parry phases have the same amount of parry's, if you get 2 one phase, when you could also get 3 or 4, just have them all at 3.

-Could get rid of Parry's for ranking, so we just do wait out phases

-Quick restart button

I really like this game, I just think they didn't know who to make there game for. Lots of people are going for A+ ranks.

It is a great game, but to me personally it would be nice for some changes/ add ons.

-Leader boards - the game wants you to get a high rank, but I think it would be nice for a fastest time of beating the game, and fastest time of each boss, why don't we have them?

-Consistency - Trying to get A+ rank but the best way to do that is restart if the boss didn't use the right move right away (parry moves). Or you could make the parry phases have the same amount of parry's, if you get 2 one phase, when you could also get 3 or 4, just have them all at 3.

-Could get rid of Parry's for ranking, so we just do wait out phases

-Quick restart button

I really like this game, I just think they didn't know who to make there game for. Lots of people are going for A+ ranks.

Those are things that could easily be patched for the future. :)

The game looks amazing for something that has been in development forever. I was even afraid that fact would be the nail in the coffin and make it a terrible game as you see with many games in long development.

Either that or they totally disappoint you.

I enjoyed the game for the easier bosses, but once things started becoming difficult for the sake of difficult it started to get on my nerves. Maybe it's just not my cup of tea because I don't think a game can carry itself if the sole purpose is to be difficult. While the art style and the soundtrack are great, that's not what makes gameplay.

All in all I think I would forget about everything if the stupid foreground didn't cover up what I actually need to see :D

The parry issue is also my biggest disappointment in the game. Sometimes you can not get 3 parries because there a not enough there...

But otherwise is a just a cool game. I hope MDHR add in the future a A+ Rank Achievement, "only" A Rank is too easy :D

The Cala Maria boss is especially bad for not giving you enough opportunity to parry. Of the 4 times I aced that boss, 3 times the boss didn't give me enough to parry during the fight (zero parry objects twice, and 1 parry object the other time), especially if you are to meet the time requirements - there's really only once instance in the first phase.

And for the Sally Stageplay boss, you have to extend the first stage a bit, otherwise she only blows one or two kisses at you to be able to parry (there's one opportunity in the final stage, but it's often out of reach).

The biggest problem I have, though, is the RNG of some of these boss fights. They should have allowed for a second or two of invincibility after you've performed your Super Art I attack (I think it's bad design to not allow you an opportunity to recover from that attack). I also wish the game would have me not get hit from invisible things - I have gotten hit from absolutely nothing so many times, it's not even funny.

And to be fair - there is an S rank achievement... I'm glad it's just required once, though. It took me 16 hours to get A+ for Grim Matchstick because of the RNG, and the dumb little fireball guys in the second stage that *should* jump at you from where you're currently standing, but no... they jump where you were 5-10 seconds previously...

• 4 weeks later...

My wife loves this game, but can only beat two of the bosses on Isle 1.

My 2 year-old loves the animation of the jumping hourglass on load screens.

My 5 year-old loves to play this game, but mostly just wants to walk around the map screens or play the airplane tutorial "level".

So it all falls to me to advance in the game.