Secret Mission Guide

Demon9Tom

A guide to all of the secret missions in Devil May Cry 4, completing them will unlock the “Nothing Left Unsaid” achievement for 10GS.

The guide will be laid out in the following style:

- “Objective:” refers to what you are expected to do to complete the mission.

- “Fail Condition:” what causes you to fail this mission.

- “Level:” is the level that the Secret mission is first found on, and sometimes an alternate mission number for the other character.

- “Location:” is the area within the level (displayed at the bottom right when entering an area).

- “Character:” will either be Nero, Dante, or Nero/Dante meaning both.

- “Skills Required:” explains what abilities you MUST buy to play the mission (or occasionally just what I recommend).

Please note that some missions are found early but cannot be completed until later in the game, I will make a note when this is the case.

Secret Mission 01 - Annihilation:

Objective: Defeat all enemy before time runs out.

Fail Condition: Run out of time, death.

Level: 02

Location: Castle Town of Fortuna Terrace/Business District – This secret mission is directly in your path to the end of the mission so you literal can’t miss it.

Character: Nero

Skills Required (Nero): No specific skills

Strategy (Nero): I was able to complete this first mission when I found it on my first play through of level 02 so you don’t need any great abilities or combos, just keep in mind that you are not playing for style here (nothing done in secret mission’s counts during final scoring). Go around the central fountain in either direction and avoid moves that push the enemy away from the fountain (you don’t want to waste time chasing them). Combinations of busters and aerial combos are best.

Secret Mission 02 - Alley-Oop:

Objective: Perform 5 consecutive Busters in midair without touching the ground.

Fail Condition: Kill all enemies, death.

Level: 04

Location: Fortuna Castle 1F Dining Room – At one point in level 04 you will need to use a Gyro Blade to block a fireball and then destroy the source of the fireballs. The Secret mission is visible once the fire balls are stopped.

Skills Required (Nero): None, but having Air Hike (jump higher) and/or Snatch (grab from further away) upgraded will help (I didn’t have either).

Strategy (Nero): This is probably the easiest of the secret missions, let several enemies spawn and then jump into the air grab an enemy (Rb + B), and then grab another one, and another until you have grabbed five in a row. Touching the ground will reset the counter, and killing all the scarecrows will end the mission, I don’t believe there is a time limit but if there is you are given a generous amount of time to complete this mission. Having air hike will allow you to jump twice and so get higher up in the air, and the snatch abilities will allow you to grab the enemies from further away.

Secret Mission 03 – Nonviolent Resistance:

Objective: Get to a style ranking of C without damaging an enemy.

Fail Condition: Hitting an enemy, death.

Level: 05 (Nero), 15 (Dante)

Location: Fortuna Castle 1F Soldier’s Graveyard – At the start of mission 05 you will be in the Soldier’s Graveyard to leave the area you need to go up some stairs and through a door, the secret mission is found below and behind the stairs.

Character: Nero/Dante

Skills Required (Nero): Hold

Strategy (Nero): To complete this mission with Nero the easiest way I have found is to grab a scarecrow and hold it (hold B) in front of you whilst letting the frost hit you. As the frost attacks use taunt (back) to further increase the style meter, once the first scarecrow dies grab the second and try to get both frosts in front of you. If at any point you damage an enemy you will lose. As far as I know there is no time limit for this mission.

Alternate Method (Submitted by AltairJr):

It still requires the Aegis Shield ability and though not needed it helps to have Air Hike and Snatch 2 or 3 (for reach).

First use Air Hike to get some height and then Snatch the Frost into the air, this will give you some style meter points when the Frost lands (much more than taunt seems to do - and less dangerous) and hold him and let the Scarecrows build your meter up more. With this method it literally took less than 40 seconds - and I wasn't pulling my hair out either.

Skills Required (Dante): Royal Guard, upgrades to Royal Guard will likely help but aren’t required.

Strategy (Dante): Completing this mission with Dante requires you to use Royal guard (just as in secret mission 08 – Royal Blocker); to do this you must be in the Royal Guard style. To successfully royal block an attack you must block (B) just before an enemy lands their attack. You can also make use of taunts whilst the enemy is not attacking.

Secret Mission 04 – Tracking Treasure Down:

Objective: Find 99 red orbs before time runs out (2 minutes).

Fail Condition: Run out of time.

Level: 06

Location: Fortuna Castle B2 Angel Creation – To your left as you enter the room there are three people in cages, next to the one on the left is the mission scroll.

Skills Required (Nero): Air Hike is strongly recommended for reaching the top floor.

Strategy (Nero): For this mission you need to find hidden spots in the main room of Fortuna castle, each spot contains a predetermined amount of red orbs but cannot be seen, to detect them watch Nero’s arm when it glows blue there is a hidden spot nearby, to get the orbs you must stand on the hidden spot for a few moments. However each time you start the mission the spots are randomly chosen from several spots, following are some common spots:

- 1F - Underneath the Gyro Blade, move it and then stand on its spot (60 Orbs).

- 1F - The area with the chairs on the west side of the room (30 Orbs).

- 1F - Near the castles main doors leading to the outside (30 Orbs).

- 1F - North-eastern corner (30 Orbs).

- 2F - Destroy the mirror on the eastern side and stand inside (60 Orbs).

- 2F - Get on top of the second arch to the north of the southwest corner (60 orbs).

- 2F - East side in front of the blue dial (30 Orbs).

- B1 - Down the stairs toward the level 06 entrance, near the door (60 Orbs).

Secret Mission 05 – Sky Scraper:

Objective: Get to the top of the mission before time runs out.

Level: 07

Skills Required (Nero): None

Strategy (Nero): To get to the top of this mission you most make use of the bounce platforms and the Grim Grips. Try to move in only two directions so that you will always land in the same place (makes repeating the level easier). The only point of this level that should cause any trouble is the point where you need to land on a bounce platform that is surrounded by a cage, you can either break the cage using your sword/gun or get to the platform by going through a gap between the cage and the platform from underneath.

Edited by Demon9Tom
Added several alternative strategies.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Secret Mission 06 - Vermifuge:

Objective: Stop the Chimera Seeds from attaching themselves to the Scarecrow.

Fail Condition: The Scarecrow being hit, death.

Level: 10 (Nero), 12 (Dante)

Location: Order Of The Sword H.Q. -B- 1F Security Corridor – After making your way through the corridor with the lasers (as Nero) it will be on your right.

Skills Required (Nero): Hold, and I also recommend Air Hike

Strategy (Nero): The easy way to complete this mission is using Nero’s hold ability, run up to the Scarecrow as the mission starts and hold him now jump to the right of the start position keep doing this until you’ve moved the Scarecrow to the very end of the passage, leave him here and then kill the Chimera Seeds. The fastest way to kill a Chimera Seed is to use the Buster (B) as this will kill it instantly.

Tip (Submitted by Krenn):

The strategy given appeared to work great; however, I could never get the timing down for picking the Scarecrow up and jumping off with him. Finally, I re-mapped Buster to RT - it's far easier to hold down a trigger while timing the jumps than a button!

It did take me a few tries after that, but I was getting to the end of the right side safely over half the time instead of never getting there.

Skills Required (Dante): None

Strategy (Dante): I have not personally found any effective strategy for completing this mission with Dante, but due to the ease of Nero’s strategy I would suggest using him, however if you do have a strategy for Dante let me know and I’ll add it.

Secret Mission 07 – Free Running:

Objective: Cross the platforms to reach the crystal.

Fail Condition: Falling from the platforms, death.

Level: 10 (Nero), 12 (Dante)

Location: Order Of The Sword H.Q. -B- 1F Meeting – This is across the hall from the statue (used to buy skills/items) before fighting Dante.

Skills Required (Nero/Dante): None but Air Hike is advised.

Strategy (Nero/Dante): This strategy will work with both characters. To complete this mission you need to cross the platforms until you are able to get to the crystal, these platforms appear after hitting the blue dial. The platforms themselves are only there for a limited amount of time before disappearing, several Mephisto’s will appear and try to knock you off the platforms, this will cause you to lose, this and dying is the only way to fail this mission you have unlimited time. The simplest way I’ve found is to run out onto the platforms the Mephistos will appear then run back to the start, kill all the Mephistos (there’s around 6) and then wait for the platforms to disappear and then hit the dial again you can now cross without the Mephistos bothering you.

Secret Mission 08 – Royal Blocker:

Objective: Use Royal block 5 consecutive times to block the attacks of the Mephisto(s).

Fail Condition: Kill all enemies, death.

Level: 14, (Encountered first on level 7, but can’t be completed).

Location: Mitis Forest, Forest Entrance – This is at the end of level 14 (beginning of level 7) just before returning to Fortuna Castle.

Character: Dante

Skills Required (Dante): I suggest increasing the level of the Royal Guard style, and having the Air Hike ability.

Strategy (Dante): This is my least favourite secret mission and took me the longest. I would advise that to start with you kill one of the Mephistos so that you don't have to avoid two sets of attacks. Mephistos have three moves they will use on you:

- The first (and the one it uses the most) involves it spinning around and firing a beam at you, block just as the beam fires to royal block, it will pull its Scythe close to its body just before firing

- The second attack is it swinging the scythe at you, block just as its turns through about 180 degrees.

- The third attack is executed whilst the Mephisto is some distance away from you, I never found a reliable way to block this move so instead jumped and then air hiked over it (this won't break the royal guard chain as long as you are not hit).

Alternate Method (Submitted by Warbo):

I noticed many people are finding secret mission 8 difficult when its actually quite easily done. I myself am terrrible with the royal guard stance and never use it, but if you hold right button down and hammer the B button as fast as possible whilst both the mephistos attack you you will eventually get lucky.

Alternate Method (Submitted by ITS OVER 9000):

This requires level 4 royal guard for the dreadnought ability.

Once you start the mission kill 1 of the mephistos and royal guard as best as you can if you haven't performed the 5 blocks, you should have a full royal guard meter then transform into dreadnought (sp) while in this form the counter will never decrease even if you mess up the timing, use this to block the scythe attack as this the easiest to time imo, and avoid the dash attack. i personally have found this to be the easiest way, hope this helps.

Secret Mission 09 - Unbreakable:

Objective: Kill all enemies without being hit or captured by a fault.

Fail Condition: Being hit, captured by a fault.

Level: 15

Location: Fortuna Castle 2F Library – In the library of Fortuna Castle (you need to come this way for this mission) there is a staircase heading down at the bottom of the stairs you’ll find the scroll.

Skills Required (Dante): None, but Air Hike is recommended

Strategy (Dante): I completed this mission by using the Coyote-A (shotgun) and just walking around the edge shooting at the enemy it takes time but is easier to pull off than a real fight. You should be able to get away from faults by just walking but you can use jumps, Air Hikes, and the Trickster style to get away from them as well. You’ll have to go through a couple of sets of enemies before the mission ends including some Chimeras, and assaults.

Alternate Method (Submitted by Road Roller Da):

Start off by being in the Gunslinger Style, right in the beginning take out the Chimera Seeds to prevent the Assaults from being turned into Chimera Assaults. After that use the Air Hike technique and use Pandora's PF594: Argument, you are invinsible from all attacks while using this so just keep firing missiles until the Disaster gauge runs out. Even though the Disaster gauge isnt full you can still shoot about 3 missiles before you fall to the ground again. Then just keep repeating this process until all enemies are dead.

[This strategy may not make you invincible whilst using the "Pandora P594: Argument" as Road Roller Da suggests.]

Alternate Method (Submitted by ITS OVER 9000):

This requires level 4 royal guard for the dreadnought ability.

In the room before the alto angelos spawn kill all of them but leave one to charge your meter on, very predictable attacks. Once you have a full meter start by killing the chimeras and using trickster and coyote A to spam kill the first batch as soon as the infected assaults appear transform into dreadnought and dispatch the rest (im pretty sure you can use Devil Trigger in this form but i didn't do it like that). It takes a few seconds to transformation to complete so make sure you are in a safe area, then finish them and collect the reward.

As you are invincible in this form you will not fail. Also best done in human mode as altos wont punish you to hard for messing up the timings.

Edited by Demon9Tom

Secret Mission 10 – Puppet Master:

Objective: Find and destroy the 5 targets using a Gyro Blade before time runs out (2 minutes).

Level: 05

Location: Fortuna Castle 2F Master’s Chamber – Behind the mirror that is above the fire place, smash it and the scroll will be visible.

Skills Required (Nero): None

Strategy (Nero): You need to use the Gyro Blade to break the 5 targets that are scattered around the corridor. To make the Gyro Blade move hit it with the buster (B), to make the Gyro Blade move further hit it with your sword, hitting it again will make it move further still. The Targets are located in the following locations:

- The first is right in front of you to the north (west corridor).

- The second is by the door you need to open to fight Bael (north area).

- The third is near the end of the Eastern corridor.

- The fourth is in a small turning near to the location of number 3

- The final target is in the fenced off area it is on the stand to the right of the blue dial.

Secret Mission 11 – Point Of Impact:

Objective: Destroy the two statues using the Pandora before time runs out

Level: 16

Location: Lamina Peak, Fortuna Castle Gate – To reach this location you will need to climb up the side of the mountain until you reach a point where there are three red orbs suspended in the air (near a staircase). The platform you need to reach is near where the red orbs end. To get there run roughly a third of the way up the stairs then (in Devil Trigger (DT)) turnaround jump, Air Hike, and dash twice (with the trickster style) and then use attacks with Lucifer to get the last bit of distance and land on the platform.

Alternate Method (Submitted by LastbornSmudg3):

The way i got to mission 11 i found a lot easier and that was using Pandoras disaster gauge form and float up to the top, a lot easier. I started about 2/3 of the way up the stairs and went across. Just fill up the gauge on the wolves before hand.

Skills Required (Dante): PF398: Revenge (for the Pandora), the speed ability, and Air Hike.

Strategy (Dante): You will find yourself on the long bridge that links the forest from mission 7 with the HQ from mission 8. At both ends of the bridge is a statue that you need to destroy using Pandora’s Revenge form to do this you will need to be perfectly lined up as when you are aiming the Revenge you can only look up and down and you can only afford one (maybe two) misses. To start run to the top of the stairs that go down (facing north), now to aim the weapon you want to move your character in small increments and each time you do, reset the camera (click the right stick) you will then be looking in the direction your character is facing. Once you are facing directly north Activate Revenge aim and fire. Once you have destroyed this statue had to the south and from the first doorway use the same method to line yourself up to the south then fire the weapon. This may take several attempts but you should get it before long.

Alternate Method (Submitted by Kukukbeluk):

I was finally able to post the youtube video on how to get to secret mission 11 and destroy the statues WITHOUT using Pandora at all. So, it's confirmed: you don't need Pandora Laser to clear secret mission 11.

Video Demonstration:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijAAdH5YOL4]YouTube - Devil May Cry 4 Secret Mission 11[/ame]

Secret Mission 12 - Steeplechase:

Objective: Get from one end of the laser filled corridor to the other without being hit.

Fail Condition: Being hit by a laser, death.

Level: 17

Location: Castle Town Of Fortuna, Opera House Plaza – Located to the players right as they enter the area, hidden behind a trash can (destroy it to access the mission).

Skills Required (Dante): Air Hike

Strategy (Dante): I was able to complete this mission using a combination of Jumps, Air Hikes, Dante’s DT and Trickster Dashes, with Lucifer being used to hold me in the air. However this was a difficult method to pull off and I have heard of others using the Gunslinger style and the Pandora’s disaster gauge to cross the lasers faster and more easily. If someone would like to post a complete explanation on how to use either method I’ll post it here.

Alternate Method (Submitted by LastbornSmudg3):

Also for mission 12, if you kill enemies with Pandora before you try the mission, you can fill up your disaster gauge. Once you have filled it up you can go into Pandoras disaster gauge form and just float across the lasers. I double jumped with air hike first to get enough height.

To go into Pandoras disaster gauge mode, i think you need to be in the Gunslinger style then hit B to transform. If the gauge is not filled, it wont last for long.

Credits:

People that have helped create this guide:

- AltairJr - Submitted an alternate strategy for mission 03.

- Demon9Tom (Myself) - For writing the guide.

- ITS OVER 9000 - Submitted an alternate strategy for mission 08 and mission 09.

- Krenn - Submitted a tip for Secret Mission 06.

- Kukukbeluk - Submitted a video demonstrating an alternate strategy for Secret Mission 11.

- LastbornSmudg3 - Provided a method for reaching mission 11 and a strategy for mission 12.

- obliske - For telling me I had made a mistake with the location of mission 12, and providing the correct location.

- Prima Official Game Guide – Used to find the locations of some of the secret missions as I did not remember every location.

- Road Roller Da - For providing an alternate strategy to secret mission 09 - Unbreakable.

- Warbo - For providing an alternate strategy to secret mission 08 - Royal Blocker.

If you notice any errors or have anything you would like to have added please let me know, alternate strategies are especially appreciated, full credit will be given.

Edited by Demon9Tom

I thought I help here some :

Location : [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQYYtJY3vfo]YouTube - Devil May Cry 4 Secret Mission(location) / PS3 /[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghUyl_4Jwiw]YouTube - Devil May Cry 4 Secret Mission 1 to 4 / PS3 /[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlnlnwlTSX4]YouTube - Devil May Cry 4 Secret Mission 5 to 8 / PS3 /[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43vKZDbVQq4]YouTube - Devil May Cry 4 Secret Mission 9 to 12 / PS3 /[/ame]

another thing i just figured out, in secret mission 5 (sky scraper), at the peak of your jump on the platform that takes you to the fenced on, if you fly near it and fire your pistol to stay midair, then quickly press jump again, youll actually be able to hurdle over the fence.

another thing i just figured out, in secret mission 5 (sky scraper), at the peak of your jump on the platform that takes you to the fenced on, if you fly near it and fire your pistol to stay midair, then quickly press jump again, youll actually be able to hurdle over the fence.

You mean using Air Hike, I'll try that when i get a chance.

Secret Mission 11 – Point Of Impact:

Objective: Destroy the two statues using the Pandora before time runs out

Level: 16

Location: Lamina Peak, Fortuna Castle Gate – To reach this location you will need to climb up the side of the mountain until you reach a point where there are three red orbs suspended in the air (near a staircase). The platform you need to reach is near where the red orbs end. To get there run roughly a third of the way up the stairs then (in Devil Trigger (DT)) turnaround jump, Air Hike, and dash twice (with the trickster style) and then use attacks with Lucifer to get the last bit of distance and land on the platform.

Secret Mission 12 - Steeplechase:

Strategy (Dante): I was able to complete this mission using a combination of Jumps, Air Hikes, Dante’s DT and Trickster Dashes, with Lucifer being used to hold me in the air. However this was a difficult method to pull off and I have heard of others using the Gunslinger style and the Pandora’s disaster gauge to cross the lasers faster and more easily. If someone would like to post a complete explanation on how to use either method I’ll post it here.

The way i got to mission 11 i found a lot easier and that was using Pandoras disaster gauge form and float up to the top, a lot easier. I started about 2/3 of the way up the stairs and went across. Just fill up the gauge on the wolves before hand.

Also for mission 12, if you kill enemies with Pandora before you try the mission, you can fill up your disaster gauge. Once you have filled it up you can go into Pandoras disaster gauge form and just float across the lasers. I double jumped with air hike first to get enough height.

To go into Pandoras disaster gauge mode, i think you need to be in the Gunslinger style then hit B to transform. If the gauge is not filled, it wont last for long.

I never really used the Pandora whilst doing the secret missions (infact I don't think a started using it until I was playing Devil Hunter) guess I should have though, as it seems to some of them a lot easier. I'll add both of those to the guide thanks :).

Alternate Method (RoAd RoLIER Da):

Start off by being in the Gunslinger Style, right in the beginning take out the Chimera Seeds to prevent the Assaults from being turned into Chimera Assaults. After that use the Air Hike techinque and use Pandora's PF594: Argument, you are invinsible from all attacks while using this so just keep firing missiles until the Disaster gauge runs out. Even though the Disaster gauge isnt full you can still shoot about 3 missiles before you fall to the ground again. Then just keep repeating this process until all enemies are dead.

FYI you actually are not invincible while in Pandora's PF594:Argument form and you can still take damage. At least I have taken damage consistently while in that form only thing that saves me is that you can still fly around with it. Anyways, I only have secret mission 9 to do still and its been making me go insane as well. Does anyone else have any suggestions or tips on how to tackle it? I've tried both methods supplied.

Nevermind, I was actually able to pull it off roughly 5 minutes after actually watching the youtube video that was posted lol. My problem when I was going the shotgun route was that I was locking on rather than just walking around and letting it auto target lol. I also found it easier to walk "backwards" or in this case counter-clockwise. When I did it that way the assaults actually stayed out of the screen the entire time where as if I walked forward they were almost always in screen. I hope that can help someone else out.

The easiest way to do Secret Mission 7 is to fill up the disaster gauge for Pandora, then use Argument to fly over to the Blue Orb fragment. I don't know if you have to activate the switch, if someone could confirm that.

In Argument, you should be able to outrun the Mephistos, so they shouldn't be a problem.

is there any easier way to do mission 11? i've been tring to do it for over an hour. i line it up correctly with pandora as epidemic, but then when i spin the left stick to change it to revenge, it become unaligned, so i shoot the damn wall, and i also end up aiming at the friggin ground. its annoying as hell. i've watched three different videos of people doing it, and there aim doesnt seem to go crazy when they change pandoras form, so i'm thinking perhaps i'm doing that wrong? i dont know. any insight or help would be most appreciated.

is there any easier way to do mission 11? i've been tring to do it for over an hour. i line it up correctly with pandora as epidemic, but then when i spin the left stick to change it to revenge, it become unaligned, so i shoot the damn wall, and i also end up aiming at the friggin ground. its annoying as hell. i've watched three different videos of people doing it, and there aim doesnt seem to go crazy when they change pandoras form, so i'm thinking perhaps i'm doing that wrong? i dont know. any insight or help would be most appreciated.

I think the way that i did it was, even though there is no target, i stood Dante facing the right way, then hold lock-on, then changed the forms and the aimer didnt move, but i think i just had to aim it down slightly. At least it didnt move sideways. So yea, try using lock-on.

OMG.... that did the trick. I filled up the guage by taking out the Mephistos then reactivated the switch when I was done with them. I followed the path until I had a straight shot and coasted over. I wasted so much time on this earlier.

What my strategy was, I first made sure to go towards HQ and get that statue. Stinger all the way towards it and the get to the second doorway. Make sure your as center as possible and try and shoot. If you miss, try and compensate for your angle, so hold RB and go more right if your shot goes to the left and vice versa.

Once you take the first statue out, go back and use Speed to get all the way down the stairs. Make sure to hurry, cause if you missed the first statue, then you have to usually hit this one on your first try. Again, if you see the shot is going off to the side, compensate for it.

I know the feeling, my brother had the same problem as you. Just keep trying and make sure not to lose your cool or else your gonna screw yourself over. You'll get it eventually. ;)