• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evidently now I find myself in the opposite position from which I started.

I know have three people and am seeking a fourth.

How did everyone else find their crew so easily?

If you're going all out then it's hard to find teammates. Most of the people compete for the last spot and who can score the least.

There's only been two teams who compete for #1 spot the last couple years. Wish there was more. It really is just an attitude question. Can't be that every year everyone doesn't have time or money to compete but The Finnish Line does :think:

If you're going all out then it's hard to find teammates. Most of the people compete for the last spot and who can score the least.

There's only been two teams who compete for #1 spot the last couple years. Wish there was more. It really is just an attitude question. Can't be that every year everyone doesn't have time or money to compete but The Finnish Line does :think:

Or maybe it can be the case since that's what happens?

Gotta remember, about a third of us are students, a third have families, and that last third is divided into people who don't care, don't have the money, and those who want to compete.

You guys could always break up into two teams, ya know. Make it more competitive for yourselves and the rest of the site.

Edited by StayonTarget

You guys could always break up into two teams, ya know. Make it more competitive for yourselves and the rest of the site.

Yes, lets pit them against each other!

dr-evil-laugh.gif

Jokes aside, I'd like to share something with those that take GSL scoring seriously.

This time last year, I discussed with admin ways we could alter GSL so that it could be more competitive as a whole and not just for a few of the teams. A change that would hopefully bring in as many teams as last year, but also in a way that those teams could more evenly compete with each other.

While my idea seems crude, it was to make it so that no former GSL teammate could sign up with another. For example, I would not be able compete on the same team as bigbear. Kovy could not team up with Jappe, etc.

While we could not guarantee the idea would be accepted by the majority of participating members and expected some bashlash, we felt like it was worth trying. More so if there were still plenty showing interest in the idea once annouced. If there was a huge backlash, we could revert to basic GSL rules in an instant anyway.

Admin liked my idea, but suggested that two members from a former team be allowed on the same team instead of just one. I agreed.

We thought it would be best brought up again around June-July in staff chat for further discussion. In doing this we found both negatives and positives. Though, the standout issue appeared to be that we'd be upsetting a few very dedicated teams versus a more competitive tournament overall.

To my understanding we could have gone ahead with this, but come time to prep GSL, we decided to go with standard GSL rules for 2017.

Now, while I'm usually the first person to say "Can we keep this for the feedback thread", I just wanted to share this with our entrants that not only keep coming back each year for the competition, but also to those that complain year after year that the same team will win (but don't do anything to actually compete with them.) Someone needed to step up, present a bold idea that doesn't change the GSL fundamentals, yet still somehow shakes up the tournament in a positive way for the majority of the teams.

So, maybe next year? Maybe never?

Thanks for reading.

Gotta remember, about a third of us are students, a third have families, and that last third is divided into people who don't care, don't have the money, and those who want to compete.

I'm a student (been for 4 years now so every year The Finnish Line has taken part in GSL).

I live with my girlfriend and 4 dogs, 2 cats and currently 3 horses. I also lived with my girlfriend last year. And the year before that.

The rest of the excuses I understand.

I've been living the last 4 years of my life getting student loan and debt in all the possible forms I can imagine. We live in a house now with, like I said, horses and stables. There's a lot more housework to be done compared to living in an apartment.

I get it not everyone wants to spend a lot of money on gamerscore if they don't have a job. I haven't had a job in 3 or 4 years.

I know I'm crazy with my purchases but that is one thing which helps my team. I bought an iPhone just to play Minecraft (thank god I got it for $50).

I think the only solution to my problem here would be to find someone who is as crazy as me with the purchases :p

Jokes aside, I'd like to share something with those that take GSL scoring seriously.

This time last year, I discussed with admin ways we could alter GSL so that it could be more competitive as a whole and not just for a few of the teams. A change that would hopefully bring in as many teams as last year, but also in a way that those teams could more evenly compete with each other.

While my idea seems crude, it was to make it so that no former GSL teammate could sign up with another. For example, I would not be able compete on the same team as bigbear. Kovy could not team up with Jappe, etc.

While we could not guarantee the idea would be accepted by the majority of participating members and expected some bashlash, we felt like it was worth trying. More so if there were still plenty showing interest in the idea once annouced. If there was a huge backlash, we could revert to basic GSL rules in an instant anyway.

Admin liked my idea, but suggested that two members from a former team be allowed on the same team instead of just one. I agreed.

We thought it would be best brought up again around June-July in staff chat for further discussion. In doing this we found both negatives and positives. Though, the standout issue appeared to be that we'd be upsetting a few very dedicated teams versus a more competitive tournament overall.

To my understanding we could have gone ahead with this, but come time to prep GSL, we decided to go with standard GSL rules for 2017.

Now, while I'm usually the first person to say "Can we keep this for the feedback thread", I just wanted to share this with our entrants that not only keep coming back each year for the competition, but also to those that complain year after year that the same team will win (but don't do anything to actually compete with them.) Someone needed to step up, present a bold idea that doesn't change the GSL fundamentals, yet still somehow shakes up the tournament in a positive way for the majority of the teams.

So, maybe next year? Maybe never?

Thanks for reading.

Well you will get a new winner if that rule happens. It's kind of the whole point of The Finnish Line that we are all Finnish and we know what our teammates are capable of. We can trust each other. I can say for sure that I wouldn't participate in a GSL with a "twist" like that :)

I keep saying year after year to myself that I could take one year off GSL but it just keeps on pulling me in...

snip

I honestly don't like the idea personally. It would probably be good to create a more even playing field, but the cons outweigh the pros as far as I can tell.

Firstly you have the regular teams that plan and organise together, and clearly have a level of comradery that would probably make the comp more than just about scoring Gamerscore. Splitting up those teams may drive some away from the comp together.

You may also get people throwing the comp, if they have good mates on another team they may decide to go easy and let them win.

Then you have newer competitors, who may find a couple of people they enjoy playing with, only met because of GSL. Next year they may want to plan and team up, but won't be able too.

I see the good points too, but I am against the idea.

What about something like draft picks? You guys ever do anything like that? Probably run into the same issues as the other idea, but perhaps if like the top teams, or MVP's from each team were to take in turns to pick people for their teams? Just an idea.

Or big ol' teams of like 8 (or more) people each. Again, just an idea. As you said probably better left for discussing in the feedback thread when it's up though :)

--Merged Posts--

I'm a student (been for 4 years now so every year The Finnish Line has taken part in GSL).

I live with my girlfriend and 4 dogs, 2 cats and currently 3 horses. I also lived with my girlfriend last year. And the year before that.

The rest of the excuses I understand.

I've been living the last 4 years of my life getting student loan and debt in all the possible forms I can imagine. We live in a house now with, like I said, horses and stables. There's a lot more housework to be done compared to living in an apartment.

I get it not everyone wants to spend a lot of money on gamerscore if they don't have a job. I haven't had a job in 3 or 4 years.

I know I'm crazy with my purchases but that is one thing which helps my team. I bought an iPhone just to play Minecraft (thank god I got it for $50).

I think the only solution to my problem here would be to find someone who is as crazy as me with the purchases :p

As for my situation; I am a cripple, so I have more time to play than most people.

Having said that, I do have 4 kids, 2 cats, 2 dogs, 5 horses and currently a little orphan joey. So that of course cuts into my gaming time.

I can't work. If I could i would be, and I definitely would not be able to do GSL if I were.

Without working, money is always tight. Always. It is a wonder I manage to scrimp and save for any games ever, but by budgeting I can still afford to save up for things I want; such as the new XB1X console. As long as my kids and animals are fed and looked after, I cam save the rest towards games - my hobby and the reason I haven't gone completely bat guano insane in my current physical state.

When I look at games to purchase, I don't consider the achievements anymore. I consider how much enjoyment I will get from my money spent. That's the most important to me, so I don't have a big stack of games bought specifically for Gsl. Therefore I am already at a disadvantage compared to others.

Luckily for me, I just want to have fun and join in on GSL. But if I were the type who wanted to win, knowing i will lose before the event even starts would prevent me from even bothering to sign up.

The long and short of it is; Everyone is in a different situation. Without knowing them personally you can't know what they are going through. You can obviously manage to kick ass every year in GSL despite your situation, but others just can't. Doesn't necessarily have anything to do with attitude or lack of desire to compete, just sometime our lives get in the way of our gaming :)

Edited by BluWolve

I honestly don't like the idea personally. It would probably be good to create a more even playing field, but the cons outweigh the pros as far as I can tell.

A similar idea, if not same idea, has been brought up in post GSL discussion threads in the past. By regular members and not staff. Not many people responded but the ones that did were vehemently against the idea. Maybe more people will discuss the idea this time.

Your draft pick idea has also been suggested. Also poorly received by those that did reply.

Edited by bigbear.

A similar idea, if not same idea, has been brought up in post GSL discussion threads in the past. By regular members and not staff. Not many people responded but the ones that did were vehemently against the idea. Maybe more people will discuss the idea this time.

Your draft pick idea has also been suggested. Also poorly received by those that did reply.

:think: What about prizes?

Yeah righto. Jokes normally require an audience, so it usually would not be a good thing if someone didn't get the joke. Unless, of course, the joke is at that persons expense.

Care to enlighten me chuckles?

About a month ago, a handful of us were in party with a friend of a friend who rambled on about art for nearly 3 hours straight. For the following week after, we were making jokes about art, what is art, etc.

Somewhere in there, I think Ed was joking that the live-action adaption of Death Note is art.

About a month ago, a handful of us were in party with a friend of a friend who rambled on about art for nearly 3 hours straight. For the following week after, we were making jokes about art, what is art, etc.

Somewhere in there, I think Ed was joking that the live-action adaption of Death Note is art.

Hahaha wow. Art? What like paintings, sculptures or the arts as a general term for anything that touches someone in someway? How is there 3 hours worth of... I mean I ramble with the best of them, but that's.. uh.. Dedication?

Actually on second thought, I'm cool with just the explanation provided, cheers. I get it now, that's all i need haha :thumbsup:

We keep doing this, because it's fun. Nobody forces us to do it. TriRock and Petturi returned for this year free-willingly. We didn't even need to ask them.

All you need is to have fun competing. We score hard, because it is fun for us. Our lowest member (Jappe) is ranked 6th in the gamerscore leaderboard for our country. The 7th gamer is like 40k behind Jappe.

Yes, our team is very difficult to face against. I don't know how to solve that problem. But breaking the team apart isn't the solution, and that would likely kill our will to participate.

It's a pretty acceptable rule. This forum doesn't have enhanced game tracking so it's not like there's a whole lot of mechanics they could apply to balance things out. I don't particularly care much, but seeing the same team win every year is kind of a shit show.

That isn't the fault of the team that wins every year though is it? Why should they be penalised because the majority of other teams want to win by finishing last?

I've only taken part in GSL the last couple of years but I'm always surprised at the amount of people that want to enter but purposely want to perform poorly. Why bother? To me, it is the people that enter with no intention of 'trying' that dilute the entire competition and make it a bit of a 'shit show'.