1) Stackable Games Discussion/Submissions

Welcome to the Regional and Platform Game Variations (Stackable Games) section. This is an updated version of the 'Stackable Games for Gamerscore' thread that's been inspired by the 'Quick and Easy Gamerscore' forum. Special thanks goes out to those who came before me for their work on the previous threads, and to the community for their great information that they have contributed. Games that appear in this thread are released on the following various Xbox platforms in multiple regions:

• Xbox One
  • Xbox 360
  • Windows
  • Windows Phone
  • Arcade
  • Games For Windows Live

Some Xbox enabled games have also been released on the following non-Xbox platforms:

• iOS
  • Android
  • Samsung Gear VR
  • Kindle Fire
  • Apple TV

Q&A and other information:

What is a stackable game?

A stackable game is a variation of a game released in another region and/or on another platform that shares the same achievement list, though 1 or more achievements may differ.

Why is Metro Redux excluded from the list?

Metro Redux is the physical disc bundle of both, Metro 2033 Redux and Metro: Last Light Redux. Even though the game contains both Metro 2033 Redux and Metro: Last Light Redux, it technically doesn't count as a stack because there is only one version of Metro Redux.

What does Cross-Platform Achievement Functionality mean?

Cross-Platform Achievement Functionality is the best way to describe when a game shares it's savefile with another platform either through cloud storage or Xbox Live and has the ability to unlock achievements via synchronization on another platform. The cloud storage is mainly through Facebook's cloud storage for Windows games. Upon synchronization, achievements will either automatically unlock or will require a minimum amount of effort to unlock.

How come certain games are not available in my area?

Some countries such as Germany and Australia will not sell certain games due to censorship. There has been a few cases where some graphical violent achievements have been removed from certain games. Sometimes a game will have a change of publisher. Some games are region specific and are released in certain regions only. So because of that you will have to import some of the games in this thread from another country and you will need to have the appropriate console to play it on.

There are 2 different types of Xbox One consoles:

• Region Free
  • NTSC-C (China)

All regional stackable Xbox One games are Region Free unless otherwise noted

There are 3 different types of Xbox 360 consoles:

• NTSC (North America)
  • PAL (Europe/Australasia)
  • NTSC-J (Asia)

What is a Backward Compatible game?

A Backward Compatible game is a select Xbox 360 game that will play on Xbox One.

All Backward Compatible games that have a regional stack are also all Backward Compatible too, just like their standard version counterpart. However that MAY not apply to Digital Only Backward Compatible games.

Key:

Arcade - Xbox Live Arcade (XBLA)

Cross-Platform - Cross-Platform Achievement Functionality

DLC - Downloadable Content

GOTY - Game Of The Year

GFWL - Games For Windows Live

Green - Game not yet Xbox Live enabled

Red - Game or DLC not yet released

UWP - Universal Windows Platform

Win 8 - Windows 8

Win 10 - Windows 10

WP7 - Windows Phone 7

WP8 - Windows Phone 8

WP - Windows Phone (Both Windows Phone 7 & 8)

When suggesting games, please place it in one of the following 6 categories:

Multiple Platform

Xbox (Xbox One & Xbox 360)

Xbox One

Xbox 360

Arcade

Windows (Win 8, Win 10 & Windows Phone)

Please fill in as much information as possible. If you don't know, post that you are unsure. Maybe someone else will see it and know. The more information the better.

Edited by Just AmazN

• 1 month later...

Thanks for doing this - this forum is much easier to navigate than the single old thread there used to be.

Could I suggest two more pieces of information be added for each game?

1. Indicate whether the game is digital + physical, digital only, or physical only (or to save time and space, assume each game is digital + physical, so only indicate if it's digital only or physical only)
  2. If the game is digital please include a link to the game page on xbox.com/microsoft.com

I've bought a bunch of other-region games recently for stacking purposes, and finding links to the digital versions was difficult, especially when I was searching for something that didn't exist (some regional stacks are physical only). It would be great if all this information was available in one place.

Thanks for doing this - this forum is much easier to navigate than the single old thread there used to be.

Could I suggest two more pieces of information be added for each game?

1. Indicate whether the game is digital + physical, digital only, or physical only (or to save time and space, assume each game is digital + physical, so only indicate if it's digital only or physical only)
  2. If the game is digital please include a link to the game page on xbox.com/microsoft.com

I've bought a bunch of other-region games recently for stacking purposes, and finding links to the digital versions was difficult, especially when I was searching for something that didn't exist (some regional stacks are physical only). It would be great if all this information was available in one place.

I wouldn't note Arcade and Windows (Win 8, Win 10 & Windows Phone) games as Digital Only because I feel that it's common knowledge that those games are. I can note the Arcade games that have a physical disc copy. In reverse, most Xbox 360 and Xbox One games are already Physical Only, so I can note the ones that are Digital Only. I have noted a few games that are Digital Only already. I will try to incorporate this and your other suggestions the best that I can. Be sure to look for changes in the Change Log in the coming days/weeks. Thank you.

I wouldn't note Arcade and Windows (Win 8, Win 10 & Windows Phone) games as Digital Only because I feel that it's common knowledge that those games are. I can note the Arcade games that have a physical disc copy. In reverse, most Xbox 360 and Xbox One games are already Physical Only, so I can note the ones that are Digital Only. I have noted a few games that are Digital Only already. I will try to incorporate this and your other suggestions the best that I can. Be sure to look for changes in the Change Log in the coming days/weeks. Thank you.

Yep, I would only add the note when that game is out of the ordinary. No need for unnecessary extra work.

I agree that XBLA and Windows platforms default is digital only, but I would say the default for the Xbox platforms (the XB1 in particular) is physical + digital.

The reason this came to mind is because as far as regional stacking goes, it's often the case that the international version is available both physically and digitally but the region specific version (Japan especially) was often physical only.

I've got a collection of links to region specific versions (AU, DE, and JP) if you're interested.

Yep, I would only add the note when that game is out of the ordinary. No need for unnecessary extra work.

I agree that XBLA and Windows platforms default is digital only, but I would say the default for the Xbox platforms (the XB1 in particular) is physical + digital.

The reason this came to mind is because as far as regional stacking goes, it's often the case that the international version is available both physically and digitally but the region specific version (Japan especially) was often physical only.

I've got a collection of links to region specific versions (AU, DE, and JP) if you're interested.

I've added the xbox.com links to all of the Arcade and Xbox One games but I'm having trouble finding links to the Xbox One Chinese (CN) stacks.

Also, if a console/retail game (Xbox 360, Xbox One) is available digitally, I'll just add the xbox.com link instead adding a note.

Edited by Just AmazN

• 4 months later...

I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask questions about stackable games.

I want to play the DLC for Saint's Row 2 German but I don't want to go through the trouble of buying the DLC for Saint's Row 2 German using a VPN. Someone came to me that want's to do co-op will let me borrow his German account to download the DLC for Saint's Row 2 German.

Will I get my main account banned if I use his German account to download and play the DLC for Saint's Row 2 German that I didn't buy?

If it makes any difference I've bought most the games and DLC I play on my main account.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm not sure if this is the right thread to ask questions about stackable games.

I want to play the DLC for Saint's Row 2 German but I don't want to go through the trouble of buying the DLC for Saint's Row 2 German using a VPN. Someone came to me that want's to do co-op will let me borrow his German account to download the DLC for Saint's Row 2 German.

Will I get my main account banned if I use his German account to download and play the DLC for Saint's Row 2 German that I didn't buy?

If it makes any difference I've bought most the games and DLC I play on my main account.

Yes, this is the right thread. You could potentially get your account banned but I personally don't see why you would. Depends on Microsoft though. I could be wrong but I doubt they actually care about sharing accounts. By the way, I'm not encouraging you to share accounts because I don't know if it violates Microsoft's policies. You'll have to use your own discretion.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Just curious if Sunset Overdrive from the Win10 Store (released in Nov. 2018) is stackable with the One Version. Can anyone confirm this?

Technically it's not stackable. To be considered stackable, each game has to have the same exact achievement list. The W10 version has 8 less achievements than the X1 version. I believe in the W10 version they took out the Chaos Squad achievements. Sorry.

L.A. Noire (JP) - Xbox One Digital Only

The game requires a certain credit/debit card, VPN and Japanese Account if that makes any difference.

Yes, the X1 version is stackable with the X1 JP version, but neither are stackable with the 360 version (X1/JP has two more achievements). Sorry I missed this previously; it's on my list to add. Thanks!

Technically it's not stackable. To be considered stackable, each game has to have the same exact achievement list. The W10 version has 8 less achievements than the X1 version. I believe in the W10 version they took out the Chaos Squad achievements. Sorry.
Stacks are any games that are near identical. Gears of War (Xbox 360), Gears of War (GFWL), Gears of War (Xbox One) and (Windows 10) are all the same game that can be stacked for more achievements. You run through the same campaign and multiplayer is pretty much the same.

Adding on, the German version of Wanted has five less achievements. Other than that you do the same exact things you would do for the 100% of the western or Japanese version.

German version of Dead Space 2 lacks the DLC all together.

Wordament has differences on some platforms.

Stacks are any games that are near identical. Gears of War (Xbox 360), Gears of War (GFWL), Gears of War (Xbox One) and (Windows 10) are all the same game that can be stacked for more achievements. You run through the same campaign and multiplayer is pretty much the same.

Adding on, the German version of Wanted has five less achievements. Other than that you do the same exact things you would do for the 100% of the western or Japanese version.

German version of Dead Space 2 lacks the DLC all together.

Wordament has differences on some platforms.

Oh okay, I was always under the impression that stacks had to be identical lists. So then Sunset Overdrive would be a stack. Good to know! I've added it to the 'Multiple Platforms' thread.

I'm trying to keep this list maintained in some sense since JustAmazN left, so my apologies. Thanks for your help mcnichoj!

NP, also noticed some minor things on the list.

Castle Crashers has one different achievement in each version and it doesn't have cross-achievements but does have cross-saves.

Note for Dark Souls:

-GFWL patch broke Xbox Live connectivity, must be played offline and then sign in to a different GFWL game to sync achievements.

• 9 months later...

I was discussing stackable games with a friend recently and I was trying to use a term to describe it but I could not remember the term.

Is there another term that Achievement hunters use to describe when they are playing through multiple versions of the same game for achievements?

Something like "double dipping"?

I've tried googling Achievement hunting terms and cannot find anything. Maybe I just imagined a different term?

I was discussing stackable games with a friend recently and I was trying to use a term to describe it but I could not remember the term.

Is there another term that Achievement hunters use to describe when they are playing through multiple versions of the same game for achievements?

Something like "double dipping"?

I've tried googling Achievement hunting terms and cannot find anything. Maybe I just imagined a different term?

I've heard double dipping as well, but I think the universal unofficial "gaming circles" term is stacking. It's the term I've used for I'd say the past 10 years. It may have been called something else when the whole thing first started, and if it was, I've certainly forgotten it. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...