Community Tournament Ideas and Suggestions Thread.

Dirty130

Have you been sitting on some tournament ideas that you think should be made into a reality? Be it a solo, duo or team tournament or a PvP, gamerscore or even a combined PvP and gamerscore tournament, we'd love to hear from you!

In 2018, the CET (Community Event Team) would like to bring some fresh events to our members, but we'd hate to think you've got a great idea and nowhere to share it, so let this be the place to do so!

Who knows? If your tournament ideas become a reality, the shiny Bright Idea award will most likely find its way to your award showcase!

It's easy for us to put a tournament together for our community, but we want to hear what YOU would like. No matter how big or small your idea is, we'd like to hear it! Just try to be clear in your explanation, please :)

Edited by Dirty130
Moved posts from Community Gaming Ideas and Suggestions thread. That caused a mix up of the order of posts of course.

I'd be interested to hear from our members about their thoughts on a possible solo gamerscore tournament in the new year? A tournament where you can play on a newly created gamer tag. A possible elimination element or other modifiers to spice things up.

I'd welcome any other ideas from our community also :)

I like the idea mostly, but I wouldn't want to start a fresh tag for it. I would rather be adding Gamerscore to my main account, if not I would give the tourney a pass. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would be up for it though!

However I'm keen to hear about how the elimination would work, and what modifiers you had in mind? That part sounds interesting to me.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd be interested to hear from our members about their thoughts on a possible solo gamerscore tournament in the new year? A tournament where you can play on a newly created gamer tag. A possible elimination element or other modifiers to spice things up.

I'd welcome any other ideas from our community also

Edited by Dirty130
Moved here, but post is out of order due to the move and BluWolve has replied above this post.

I mentioned to you before that I liked the idea of using demos for competitions. You could have people download demos for games and have a competition to earn the highest score, best time, or whatever. With some games, you might even be able to arrange matches (like UFC 3) and just build a bracket around that.

If you wanted to put an incentive behind it, you could give the game to the winner when it launches.

This isn't really a tournament idea, so much as a possible addition to a tournament.

I'd like to see something that revolved around playing games in the various clubs (staff/subscriber/challenge etc.) instead of by genre. It would (probably) increase sign up for the various clubs and allow people to play genres they're comfortable in. You could still use RNG to determine which groups/clubs count if you were worried about pre-loading.

Okay. I used to spew some ideas. I'm back for more.

1. The Showdown

This is a Rookies v. Veterans competition. Veterans are those players that have won at least one XBA tournament during their tenure; Rookies are those players that have either participated in one competition or none at all.

2. Fresh Meat

This competition would introduce newer players to XBA. These new players are "drafted" by XBA alumni. XBA alumni are those members who have won one XBA tournament during their tenure. Each Alumni/Rookie pair would have to go head-to-head in a series of week-long challenges for 4 weeks. There would be a first place, second place, and third place team in the end.

3. Captain's Orders

Teams are not set until everyone signs up. Once signups are complete, XBA randomly chooses three participants as Captains. Teams are then drafted by each Captain in an open site-wide draft. The first week-long challenge involves all three teams. The winning team from Week 1 is safe and gets a bye-week in Week 2. During Week 2, the two losing teams go head-to-head until a victor comes out. In Week 3, the remaining two teams go at it for the overall W.

4. Invasion of the Champs

The tournament starts with 18 Rookies (XBA members who have yet to win a challenge). These members compete in 3 quick-sprint challenges (2-4 days long) over a 2 week period. The top 3 performers of each challenge earn their ticket into "Phase II." The worst 3 performers automatically get eliminated.

In Challenge #1, the top 3 players make it to Phase II, and the 3 worst get eliminated. These three winners do not compete anymore.

Now 12 players fight for their spot in Phase II.

In Challenge #2, the top 2 players make it to Phase II, and the 3 worst get eliminated. These three winners do not compete anymore.

Now 6 players fight for their spot in Phase II.

In Challenge #3, the top 3 players makes it to Phase II, and the 3 worst get eliminated.

In Week 3, 9 "Champs" enter the tournament. A "Champ" is any member who has 2 or more XBA tournaments. The Champs' identity would be anonymous to the Rookies (their sign-up would be secretive). You now have two teams: Rookies & Champs (each team filled with 9 members).

In Week 3, the Rookies and Champs will go head-to-head until the finish.

5. Free Agents 2.0

No stupid twists and weird constraints.

Week 1: Participants are split into two teams of 10 and have 5 days to score as much as possible. The scores are totalled and a winning team is declared. Anyone that scores 0 over the course of the round is automatically eliminated, and the losing team will have as many as 5 members eliminated (depending on number of signups).

Week 2: Participants are randomly assigned to 3 teams of 5 members each and will be trying to compete to ensure that they are not the lowest scoring team after four days. At the end of the week, the lowest scoring team is eliminated, leaving us with 10 remaining participants.

Week 3: The remaining 10 participants are randomly paired up into 5 pairs and will try to score as much as they can. At the end of the 4-5 day round, the two lowest scoring teams will be eliminated.

Week 4: In the final round, all participants are now competing as individuals. There will be a first place, second place, and third place winner.

Edited by BiggD

• 1 month later...

I'd welcome any other ideas from our community also :)

I think some sort of solo would be a good idea, sometimes it's hard to find a group. I also would like to keep it on my main tag, but if it wasn't I would still be in for it as it would be still fun. Maybe mini tournaments with different genres.

I like the idea mostly, but I wouldn't want to start a fresh tag for it. I would rather be adding Gamerscore to my main account, if not I would give the tourney a pass. I'm sure there are plenty of people that would be up for it though!

However I'm keen to hear about how the elimination would work, and what modifiers you had in mind? That part sounds interesting to me.

I think some sort of solo would be a good idea, sometimes it's hard to find a group. I also would like to keep it on my main tag, but if it wasn't I would still be in for it as it would be still fun. Maybe mini tournaments with different genres.

Maybe consider these options? :)

• A solo gamerscore tournament with multiple divisions based on already acquired gamerscore? Say, for example, 4 divisions, up to 50k, 200k, 400k, 600k+

• A solo gamerscore tournament with 3 divisions. Under 350k, over 350k and fresh tag divisions.

[*]A solo completion tournament with divisions similar to what is stated above

Participants would be competing in their own division, so there would be 1st, 2nd and 3rd place forums awards for each division.

Red Dead Redemption is on sale again.

oTF6vz5.gif

• A solo gamerscore tournament with multiple divisions based on already acquired gamerscore? Say, for example, 4 divisions, up to 50k, 200k, 400k, 600k+

• A solo gamerscore tournament with 3 divisions. Under 350k, over 350k and fresh tag divisions.

Participants would be competing in their own division, so there would be 1st, 2nd and 3rd place forums awards for each division.

oTF6vz5.gif

That sounds pretty sweet, in what sort of time frame were you thinking for the tournament? I was only saying I would like it on my tag so I can still build on it, but I'm good with a new tag as it would not be forever.

That sounds pretty sweet, in what sort of time frame were you thinking for the tournament? I was only saying I would like it on my tag so I can still build on it, but I'm good with a new tag as it would not be forever.

I couldn't say for sure, but I would imagine it to be 1-3 weeks. It could end up being a 48-hour sprint. Lots of options there.

I couldn't say for sure, but I would imagine it to be 1-3 weeks. It could end up being a 48-hour sprint. Lots of options there.

Well I could defo do that on a new tag. Would it have to be a complete clean tag with no score at all? Or just a different tag? I'm guessing when you say new tag you mean a clean tag.

Well I could defo do that on a new tag. Would it have to be a complete clean tag with no score at all? Or just a different tag? I'm guessing when you say new tag you mean a clean tag.

Well, it's up to the participant, but it would be most beneficial to create a new Gamertag just for a tournament unless the tournament dictates that there must be a minimum gamerscore attached to the Gamertag. There are a lot of variables, but at the end of the day, it would all come down to the specific tournament and ruleset that the CET would apply to it.

Well, it's up to the participant, but it would be most beneficial to create a new Gamertag just for a tournament unless the tournament dictates that there must be a minimum gamerscore attached to the Gamertag. There are a lot of variables, but at the end of the day, it would all come down to the specific tournament and ruleset that the CET would apply to it.

Ok that all sounds good to me thanks, buddy. :)

That'd be lame. Should be with an existing tag.

XBA Spelling 'B'

Take multiple staff members who remain unnamed until the tournament begins and have the contestants earn achievements, in order, that begin with the letters of those staff members' forum names. It could be either (a) one round with multiple staffers or (b) elimination rounds that consist of one staffer each, increasing in difficulty as they progress.

-----

Example (a): Sign ups are concluded and tournament begins. The staffers are announced as:

1) bplayak

2) Edword

3) BiggD

Contestants must earn an achievement that begins with B, then P, then L, etc. down the line until they spell out all three staffers' names. Shutdown can be determined by how many placements CET wants but I would recommend a top three.

Achievement examples in order:

B - Battle Beyond the Stars (SW Battlefront II)

P - Practice Makes Perfect (Dragonball FighterZ)

L - Line Stepper (King's Quest)

... and so on.

-----

Example (b): Sign ups are concluded and tournament begins.

Round 1 staffer is announced as BiggD. First 75% of contestants spell his name, round shuts down, bottom 25% eliminated.

Round 2 staffer is announced as Just AmazN. First 75% of contestants spell his name, round shuts down, bottom 25% eliminated.

Round 3 staffer is announced as The Pants Party. First three to spell his name win, round shuts down, tournament ends.

Edited by Dirty130
Removed the unnecessary sass.

• 3 weeks later...

Appreciate the idea, Floyd. I know you posted this a little while back, but things are only just coming together now. We won't be following your exact formula, but something in the same vein, I think :)

I've got an interesting idea for a Max Clubs tournament, too, but I just want to tease that here for now. We'll hopefully see that follow our next tournament.

• 3 weeks later...
I've never really checked out this part of the forums, but I'm interested in this trilogy tournament (saw the post about on some Clubs on XBL), but I can't seem to find where I enter or sign up for it.

Here's the link to the Announcement Thread. You can find the other related threads linked within it :)

• 9 months later...

A couple random ideas:

1. A sort of team relay race. Ideally four team members but could be more, and an order is set/randomized. The starting team member has to earn a completion and only then can the second team member work on their completion, and so on. First team to finish the relay wins. Or, you could do it over the course of a week or weekend and do whichever team has the most completed relay cycles wins. Then you'd need smaller teams probably. I think the idea of a larger team, like 10 or so, doing one long relay race to the finish. Could even incorporate those rules into SvS or whatever other type of grouping you'd want to do.

2. A solo tournament with Scategory type rules. Random letter(s) drawn and participants have to complete games starting with those letters, but like Scategories, if someone else has the same completion then it doesn't count. Or instead of them canceling out, they could be worth more points. Like if you're the only one with a completion, it's 10 points, but if, say, 5 people have that completion, each person gets 2 points for it instead of the full 10.

3. Quantity over Quality. A tournament where all that matters is the number of achievements unlocked, rather than the gamerscore.

Edited by Necrophage33

oTF6vz5.gif

Divisions is what came to my mind as well when I saw this thread. But depending on the goal of the tournament brackets based on either GS or number of completed games. The genre tournament was a perfect example of where you're at a disadvantage with the more games you've already completed for example. But finding the middle ground is tough, I do understand that.

A couple random ideas:

1. A sort of team relay race. Ideally four team members but could be more, and an order is set/randomized. The starting team member has to earn a completion and only then can the second team member work on their completion, and so on. First team to finish the relay wins. Or, you could do it over the course of a week or weekend and do whichever team has the most completed relay cycles wins. Then you'd need smaller teams probably. I think the idea of a larger team, like 10 or so, doing one long relay race to the finish. Could even incorporate those rules into SvS or whatever other type of grouping you'd want to do..

This sounds a lot like the Video Game Olympics we did a couple of years ago! :)

https://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570833

This sounds a lot like the Video Game Olympics we did a couple of years ago! :)

https://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570833

Ah I haven't been involved in any competitions before this year so I didn't know what's already been done. Well I'm still leaving my idea there!

I really like your first idea as a framework for an SvS tourney Necro.

One potential issue, like all SvS ideas, is team disparity with typically many more members of site team than staff. Not sure which team would get the advantage there. Or we could just run multiple site teams somehow. I’ve toyed with ideas for a Site vs. Site style thing to then determine a team to face Staff. I wonder if this could possibly be used in that context. But that might give Staff an advantage in that the Site team facing them used up completions to get there.

Edited by bigbear.