GSL 16 Recap and Suggestion/Feedback Thread

Edword

GSL 16 is officially over and congratulations to all participants!

Taking the top spot this year was a newcomer team to GSL Jimmy’s Merry Misfits earning a ridiculous 338,882:1gs: during the competition! JimbotUK taking the MVP award with 125,697:1gs:

Coming in second place were The Four Horsemen earning 250,622:1gs:. With RedmptionDenied once again taking MVP having unlocked 131,700:1gs:

It was a tight race for third, but The Finnish Line managed to end up with a podium spot earning 194,622:1gs: and TriRock taking MVP with 75,296:1gs:

An honorable mention goes to Goat taking 4th place. They were holding third for a long time and gave The Finnish Line a run for their money, but couldn't quite hold them off long enough at the end. Mr Chaotix will be getting MVP for them earning 58,900:1gs:

5th place went to Gamerscore Horizon with 98,674:1gs: BluWolve getting the MVP.

6th place went to Team Leftovers earning 80,375:1gs: Hero of Night earning the MVP.

7th place went to Three Men and a Baby earning 70,024:1gs: The King bplayak getting MVP.

8th place went to They Call Us The Remainder with 68,942:1gs: DwnTheRbbtHole8 carrying the entire team and earning MVP.

9th place went to You Either Die Sexy or Live Long Enough to Become Barad with 52,980:1gs: Barad 007 earning the MVP and still not sure if he's sexy enough.

10th place went to GamerScorgasm with 50,851:1gs: Sasquach11235 taking MVP and best beard of GSL.

11th place went to Multi-Continentals with 46,295:1gs: MikesGamingLife taking the MVP.

12th place went to The Mediocre Presidents with 40,565:1gs: Meatball Enthusiast Moat Carp earning the MVP.

13th place went to Command J ROLLER and his Fantabolous Achievement Avengers plus that Crazy Mallahfallah Ace Attorney 86 with 37,010:1gs: J ROLLER 1979 earning the MVP.

14th place and the title of ugliest team sig went to Team Moose Knuckles with 27,150:1gs: NShepherd N7 taking the MVP spot and still has a glitched For Honor achievement.

Earning the last place spot Trying is the First Step Toward Failure - Now with 20% More Apathy with 11,360:1gs: DOOKH8R taking the MVP spot.

Thank you for everyone who participated in this year's GSL! We hope everyone had a good time no matter what your intentions were for this competition. Please feel free to post any complaints or suggestions about GSL in this thread.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barad 007 earning the MVP and still not sure if he's sexy enough.

How very dare you:cool:

I enjoyed this year's comp and despite saying that GSL is a marathon, I personally thought the duration was just nice. My only suggestion would be to maybe move it forward a little. Life can be a little busy this time of year.

Taken from my post on the discussion topic with some additions.

After my first GSL being on a casual team and my second one being an unofficial solo effort it was nice to end up on a team that went for it.

Gutted we didn't make it to third but huge grats to the rest of goat who managed to score huge despite the initial 25kish most intended, really feel the team sort of came out of nowhere and that battle for third was fun to see. ESM was a beast throughout.

I was only aiming to hit 350k GS but ending the competition around 365k, I'm disappointed I couldn't do more for the team but that first week with work and then having to move out my house, bouncing around friends homes my free time became a mess which fucked me and I couldn't really recover like I hoped, i'm looking forward to next year though, it was great to actually get involved.

Really impressive scores from the guys in the top teams. Good job everyone.

14th place and the title of ugliest team sig went to Team Moose Knuckles with 27,150:1gs: NShepherd N7 taking the MVP spot and still has a glitched For Honor achievement.

How dare you! Jordan spent a whole five minutes making that sig for me. And For Honor will be forever tainted on my gamercard.

So I guess this year was the year of NEO GEO? Normally there's "that one game" that everyone plays for easy Gamerscore, but I don't think we had one this year. Seemed to be more about who had more disposable income to spend on crappy NEO GEO games haha.

I didn't reach my goal of 25k but I will try again next year! I always have fun with these events, but then again I don't take it too seriously.

What was everyone's favorite and least favorite game they played this last month? I really liked Tacoma and Super Lucky's Tale, but didn't care much for Gone Home and Virginia.

What was everyone's favorite and least favorite game they played this last month? I really liked Tacoma and Super Lucky's Tale, but didn't care much for Gone Home and Virginia.

Super Lucky's Tale was awesome, I really hope they do a sequel. I actually really enjoyed Slender. I'm not a big fan of horror games but I found it to be genuinely scary. Serial Cleaner was a hidden gem that I highly recommend if you like stealth games.

Come to think of it I wouldn't say I played any 'bad' games this year.

Good games this year:

What Remains of Edith Finch - im not big on the walking simulators but this was really good.

Paladin - Basic as hell, but i was hooked.

The Town Of Light - again, hate walking sims, but this one being set in a real place and the story content kept me interested.

Bad games -

Rememoried - Looked good but just not my sort of game.

8 bit Adventure Anthology - I'm all for retro and playing old games but this was just painful.

Jim’s team are a bunch of new-generation machines. Awesome job to you guys.

I had fun, and did better then my last two years. That’s not saying much, but it’s good enough for me.

I didn’t unlock “Mein Leben,” which was my main goal, but oh well!

Team Sexy will return...

I enjoyed a heap of games, too many good ones to list them all. Fire watch was good, so was Brothers: A tale of two sons. I also enjoyed Deadpool, The Telltale Batman games and the Telltale Guardians of the galaxy (last episode was amazing and that game just has the best soundtrack!).

Having said that there were plenty I didn't like. I really did not enjoy the insult simulator game; that was fun for a whole 5 minutes. Also Slender did not appeal to me at all, a real chore to complete. Pixel Piracy was ok except for the glitches and frame rate drops after playing it for too long.

I had some troubles with a few WP games. Many i had from before i updated to W10 glitched achievements. Sucks because with some of them i cant even delete my save to get that achievement, it is forever glitched because i unlocked it on the wrong device.

War planet online (W10) gets a special mention. I joined some random clan to help get through the game quicker and they were real bossy and serious like about the game. Ordering me to move to specific areas all the time haha relax buddeh, is just a game :)

Also have been struggling with internet for the last couple of weeks, and many games I have had to replay and wait for the internet to come good, so that added to my frustration.

I reckon I probably scored more in this comp than I have for the rest of the year, completed a bunch of games i had previously started and many new ones, and cleared up over 150gb of space from my HDD so all in all a very satisfying GSL for me

Also our team beat Dirty's team, and for the first time in my memory I am actually beating Lav in the monthly friends leader board (you can stop earning GS Rapture for Pete's sake, I see you beating me now :p ) so there are some extra bonuses too :D

Well done to all involved. I enjoyed it, even if the TA team showed they were gonna win with quite a while to go. Maybe our team should of all pushed, maybe not. Dunno.

Few excellent games. Most shit. Highlight was definitely 'What Remains of Edith Finch' and 'Tacoma'. Both excellent impo. Especially Edith, it was brilliant.

On the feedback side, I think, we need a chsnge for next year. I don't know what, but just something. With the introduction of ACA and a few others, gsl seems to be about disposal income, not skill. Not even time. A but of time, but just disposable income. I think we need to take this away. If we look at PST contests, or ta contests, they always have a twist or something cool. Ta 12 days of Xmas contest was really cool. Nothing to do with gamerscore or ta score. We need stuff like that, cos I think we are really lacking here. Like I said, dunno what to suggest, but people have a year to think of something. Maybe an elimination every week , so 5 rounds and a final. Make it tactical.

and for the first time in my memory I am actually beating Lav in the monthly friends leader board

Yeah you got me this month man. Internet has killed me, so I won't score much this month as I can't see it improving. Killed my last 10 days of gsl which is a shame, cos it's out of my hands.

Sorry but I've had enough of eliminations during this year's GTASC. I'm far better off just scoring as much as I can in the allowed time. And also not playing 300 days before the contest and then dropping the last minute moves in the games to pop 50k in a week from games that take actually a lot longer to complete.

Yes I brought up preloading again. It's a funny thought that the Finnish Line has only lost to 1 team who had 0 preloaders and that was during the twist season where only the lowest score in the team counted.

Only way to stop preloading would be to only accept scores from games people haven't played before but that would be quite harsh.

It is there and I know everyone can do it if they so desire. But yeah I'm not spending 11 months playing crap just to ready myself for a massive blast in the end. I like to enjoy playing games I like that 11 months and then take a 1 month burst to get as much score as I can.

Yes I brought up preloading again. It's a funny thought that the Finnish Line has only lost to 1 team who had 0 preloaders and that was during the twist season where only the lowest score in the team counted.

Only way to stop preloading would be to only accept scores from games people haven't played before but that would be quite harsh.

Do you have a program that can automate checking for that? I haven’t asked Aleks about the possibility of him creating one so I don’t know if he can.

I will tell you that due to the logistics that would be involved if there is no program, eliminating preloading is not going to happen. Manually updating scores was bad enough on staff the year we didn’t have a tracker. Adding work to that process (the extra work needed to filter out which games count and which don’t) is simply asking too much.

TLDR: If scoring can be automated, I think a lot of people would be interested in a no preload GSL. If it can’t be automated, it’s not really an option.

You could make the event longer and not have it overlap with GTASC.

This is actually a great idea. Don't take offence at this, but the serious scorers in the gsl always prioritise gtasc. Having them at seperate times would make this very interesting.

Eliminations was just an idea.

I also hate preloading, would never do it, never will. The quoted idea would also probably eliminate that. Bear you mention automated tracking, is that ever happening? It's been 'on the cards' for like three years now. If you can get that, it would open a lot of doors.

But I'm defo with Jappe. I really dislike preloading, and it does kinda ruin the tournaments hence why I said we need something different. My scores are a lot lower than many people who compete, but I know I do it within the time frame and I'm happy with that.

If an automated tracker only counting games started during the competition timeframe existed then maybe a completion sort of GSL where the score only counts if you complete the game, could help with a lot of the disposable income, because while the Neo Geos are short, they can still be right luck required bastards for the 1000s, so it either slows down the game actually counting to your score or is redundant afterwards.

I know it doesnt really help with walking simulators and easy puzzle games but theyre fewer and far between than the weekly Neo Geo releases.

Most people seem to go for completions anyway and you can always go back to wrap a game up before the competition ends etc, most people tend to not go for difficult games anyway during the GSL except for BiggD and Mein Leben of course.