GSL 16 Recap and Suggestion/Feedback Thread

Edword

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim’s team are a bunch of new-generation machines. Awesome job to you guys.

I had fun, and did better then my last two years. That’s not saying much, but it’s good enough for me.

I didn’t unlock “Mein Leben,” which was my main goal, but oh well!

Team Sexy will return...

Maybe you'll unlock 'Mein Leben' during GSL 17 :biglaugh

On the feedback side, I think, we need a chsnge for next year. I don't know what, but just something. With the introduction of ACA and a few others, gsl seems to be about disposal income, not skill. Not even time. A but of time, but just disposable income. I think we need to take this away. If we look at PST contests, or ta contests, they always have a twist or something cool. Ta 12 days of Xmas contest was really cool. Nothing to do with gamerscore or ta score. We need stuff like that, cos I think we are really lacking here. Like I said, dunno what to suggest, but people have a year to think of something. Maybe an elimination every week , so 5 rounds and a final. Make it tactical.

Problem with that is a lot of the people that seem to participate in GSL don't like change. :think:

Problem with that is a lot of the people that seem to participate in GSL don't like change. :think:

I don't think it's that, I think it's people didn't like the last attempted gsl change. I personally hated that one, as one member could sink your team. This is normal, but the difference is other team members couldn't influence it. That's where the problem lies. With the lowest score modifier, the three other members couldn't carry or change it, couldn't influence the result. That's what people didn't like.

Sure any team member can drag down, but it needs to be so the other members can group up and try to rescue it.

I personally hated the last change, but that was why.

I’m not sure how true that is anymore. A segment has resisted any suggestion for change in the past but some of those seem open to a change now as long as the change doesn’t ruin the spirit of the competition (like the twist did).

At this point I think we should definitely try something different next year. Even if it is just changing the timetable up. As long as 2 key elements remain; scoring is based on gamerscore gained and all points from all members count.

@Lav, while I didn’t specifically mean TA like tracking when I was talking about an automated system, a system like that could provide what we need to eliminate preloading without adding an unacceptable level of work for staff.

Since I don't really participate competitively, just for fun, I can't really provide feedback on that side of things. But anything that can increase participation should be a priority. Like MVP's of each team get entered into a drawing for a game of their choosing. Or even better, just members that sign up and score over X amount get entered into a drawing. Say, those that score over 5,000 gamerscore. Something attainable by most people. I just want to really see our numbers of participants go up over the coming years.

Because people that see a reward are more likely to join. Those that join are more likely to be active on the forums and make friends. Those that make friends are more likely to stay. And that's what keeps the site healthy.

You need to remember that GSL has a definition what it is and how it will play, it's been pretty much the same since 2006 or 2007, or when it was born. You shouldn't change something that has been around way before most of you even registered here. If you want other type of contest, you need to have it named differently.

I just want to really see our numbers of participants go up over the coming years.

Because people that see a reward are more likely to join. Those that join are more likely to be active on the forums and make friends. Those that make friends are more likely to stay. And that's what keeps the site healthy.

There won't be more people. People started to lose interest in this forum in the early 2010's and it won't stop regressing. Back in the day just the popular forums for a single game had hundreds of threads, like Halo 3, it doesn't take a genius to realize the ghost town around here.

People are used to quick messaging and easy navigation. This type of forum structure is not that relevant in 2017/2018 any longer.

You need to remember that GSL has a definition what it is and how it will play, it's been pretty much the same since 2006 or 2007, or when it was born. You shouldn't change something that has been around way before most of you even registered here. If you want other type of contest, you need to have it named differently.

There won't be more people. People started to lose interest in this forum in the early 2010's and it won't stop regressing. Back in the day just the popular forums for a single game had hundreds of threads, like Halo 3, it doesn't take a genius to realize the ghost town around here.

People are used to quick messaging and easy navigation. This type of forum structure is not that relevant in 2017/2018 any longer.

Paragraph 1: "Everything has to stay the same as it was 10 years ago when it started."

Paragraph 2: "The site will never attract newcomers because it got stale 5 years ago."

Hmmmmm...

Paragraph 1: "Everything has to stay the same as it was 10 years ago when it started."

Paragraph 2: "The site will never attract newcomers because it got stale 5 years ago."

Hmmmmm...

LOL.

http://img29.laughinggif.com/pic/HTTP3N0YXRpYzEuc3F1YXJlc3BhY2UuY29tL3N0YXRpYy81NGY1MTNkYmU0YjBhM2NiMDEzMjVkYmYvdC81NWNiZmNiY2U0YjBkYzZlZWUzYTRlNDcvMTQzOTQzMTg3MzQ3My9HSUYtQW11c2VkLWFtdXNlbWVudC1ibGFjay1hbmQtd2hpdGUtZ2lnZ2xlLWxhdWdoLXZpbnRhZ2UtR0lGLmdpZj9mb3JtYXQ9MTUwMHclog.gif

Hmmmmm...

Kovy was saying the base idea of GSL needs to stay the same. It's like you suddenly would start making up new rules for ice hockey or soccer that change the base idea which is to score goals.

The website structure is a completely different thing.

I don't know why you have to be such a dick all the time. Just one more reason to only come back here for GSL. Like J Roller said, most of the people here are helpful.

It's just disrespectful to direct people to Google when they are trying to be social and ask others about their questions.

Kovy was saying the base idea of GSL needs to stay the same. It's like you suddenly would start making up new rules for ice hockey or soccer

n5giPHY.jpg

Jappe, don't call Teppy a dick and Teppy be nice to others.

So, we obviously want to keep with the fundamentals of GSL but make it more accessible and appealing to those that enter/consider entering.

Pre-loading is something we can consider eliminating, but only if it is possible without overloading staff as Bear as already mentioned. In time for the next GSL tournament, we may have a way to ensure that only games started during the tournament would count towards your team score. If so, we may also be willing to test that within a GSL tournament and if not, a different tournament entirely.

GSL 2018 will finish far earlier in an attempt be its own tournament and not a "secondary objective". We've also mentioned that we'll consider having 2 GSL tournaments next year.

One thing I'd like our entrants to consider would be divisions/classes. For example, we had 15 teams this year and at the mid-point of the tournament, we could have seeded the 15 teams into 3 classes: A (1st-5th place), B (6th to 10th) and C (11th to 15th).

From there, the teams would be battling for 1st place within their own class. Once seeded, a team would not be able to go up or down a class and could only compete within their designated class.

Of course, this brings up all sorts of concerns, but we'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

Hmmmmm...

LOL.

http://img29.laughinggif.com/pic/HTTP3N0YXRpYzEuc3F1YXJlc3BhY2UuY29tL3N0YXRpYy81NGY1MTNkYmU0YjBhM2NiMDEzMjVkYmYvdC81NWNiZmNiY2U0YjBkYzZlZWUzYTRlNDcvMTQzOTQzMTg3MzQ3My9HSUYtQW11c2VkLWFtdXNlbWVudC1ibGFjay1hbmQtd2hpdGUtZ2lnZ2xlLWxhdWdoLXZpbnRhZ2UtR0lGLmdpZj9mb3JtYXQ9MTUwMHclog.gif

You're not much of a thinker, are you? Let's say Christmas has been around for a very long time. What if we change it completely, like we fire Santa Claus, remove all the music, burn the Christmas tree, let's replace all of that with flowers and bright lights, and oh yeah, let's remove all the food too and replace it with cabbage.

On the other hand, the website of Santa Claus is designed with forum tech from 2010, and the little visitors are confused what to do with all of these forums within forums within sub-forums.

You're not much of a thinker, are you? Let's say Christmas has been around for a very long time. What if we change it completely, like we fire Santa Claus, remove all the music, burn the Christmas tree, let's replace all of that with flowers and bright lights, and oh yeah, let's remove all the food too and replace it with cabbage.

On the other hand, the website of Santa Claus is designed with forum tech from 2010, and the little visitors are confused what to do with all of these forums within forums within sub-forums.

I try not to respond to ad hominem arguments, but it's worth pointing out that that sort of thing has been done to Christmas over and over again. Somehow it has endured all sorts of minor changes and modernizing updates. I for one am not terribly interested in having my guts wound round a tree by druids.

But I guess I'm not much of a thinker since I disagree with you.

Edited by Fragarach Luin

Jappe, don't call Teppy a dick and Teppy be nice to others.

Thanks, Mom.

I try not to respond to ad hominem arguments, but it's worth pointing out that that sort of thing has been done to Christmas over and over again. Somehow it has endured all sorts of minor changes and modernizing updates. I for one am not terribly interested in having my guys wound round a tree by druids.

But I guess I'm not much of a thinker since I disagree with you.

I agree with Mr. Frag. Traditions are subject to evolve.

One thing I'd like our entrants to consider would be divisions/classes. For example, we had 15 teams this year and at the mid-point of the tournament, we could have seeded the 15 teams into 3 classes: A (1st-5th place), B (6th to 10th) and C (11th to 15th).

From there, the teams would be battling for 1st place within their own class. Once seeded, a team would not be able to go up or down a class and could only compete within their designated class.

Of course, this brings up all sorts of concerns, but we'd like to hear what you guys have to say.

I am for this idea :thumbsup: I actually was thinking about something similar but in my mind I had them pegged as "tiers" haha, but the name is unimportant.

There definitely are distinct groups like you pointed out. However i was concerned that with these rules it could be easy for teams to manipulate what class they are put in. So like someone that should be in Class A purposely does shit for the first week then to just go all out once classes have been designated. They might not even do it on purpose either, depending on personal situations someone at not be able to score for the first week or something, throwing out the balance.

Perhaps make score thresholds for classes? For example; Class A being above 100k, Class B from 50-100k and so on. Have it so if a team does really well they could go up a tier maybe.

So, we obviously want to keep with the fundamentals of GSL but make it more accessible and appealing to those that enter/consider entering.

Pre-loading is something we can consider eliminating, but only if it is possible without overloading staff as Bear as already mentioned. In time for the next GSL tournament, we may have a way to ensure that only games started during the tournament would count towards your team score. If so, we may also be willing to test that within a GSL tournament and if not, a different tournament entirely.

Personally, I don't like pre-loading, and won't do it myself. I don't care if others do it. Considering none of the staff is paid for their efforts, and that they do it on their free time, there shouldn't be too much work involved for them to check if somebody is pre-loading or not.

I'd like to suggest a three- or four-stage tournament. Group phase, optional quarter finals, semi finals, and finals.

Obviously, the amount of teams dictates the size of the groups. If we have 12 teams, we form groups of 3 teams. If we have 16, we form groups of 4. The group phase would last one week. To make sense, established teams who have scored high in previous GSLs would be seeded to prevent them all from being drawn into the same group.

In the case of 12 teams, only the top team from each group continues into the semi final phase. RNG decides who is put against who. After a week of scoring, the two winners battle it out in the finals, while the other two slog it out for place 3. The final round would last a week as well. To prevent the teams eliminated in the group phase from feeling left out, they could have a battle royale for spots 5-12.

In the case of 16 teams, we could have an extra quarter finals round. The group winners go into basket 1 and the runner-ups into basket 2. RNG picks opponents, pitting teams from basket 1 against teams from basket 2. The teams eliminated in group phase would still have their own free-for-all for spots 9-16, while the teams eliminated in the quarter finals would battle for spots 5-8.

This way, there would be a bit more (a lot more, actually) excitement, as the situation is pretty much reset after each week. Strategic thinking as to when use your easiest games would be necessary. The format allows for a slightly faster, three-week GSL which some people might prefer during holidays, or a more traditional four-week tournament.

Obviously this need some fine-tuning. In case of an odd amount of teams, we would need odd groups, but it should still work. And how much time should be dedicated to each phase is debatable. Yes, a team that was soaring during one phase might get eliminated in the next phase due to their star scorer not being able to participate due to family/work/blah blah blah and it wouldn't have happened if the score from the previous phase had counted. But this happens all the time in sports tournaments, so be Portuguese and win the cup without Ronaldo.

And if this post is somewhat incoherent, it's because I'm drinking beer.