Saves

jroller1979

Guest Scotty
How many times can you save on hardcore looking at the guide I can seem to see the answer?

You're only allowed 3 saves that you can create yourself, so use them very sparingly. You can get a cheesy 4th save but i forget how to do it exactly, i think it's half way through the game when you switch the disk, as the game is on 2 disks. If you're playing it digitally though you won't be able to get this cheeky 4th save.

You're only allowed 3 saves that you can create yourself, so use them very sparingly. You can get a cheesy 4th save but i forget how to do it exactly, i think it's half way through the game when you switch the disk, as the game is on 2 disks. If you're playing it digitally though you won't be able to get this cheeky 4th save.

Thanks, Scotty. Well I can't do any disk switch I will be playing it as a DC game on the X1, when you say allowed 3 saves that you can create yourself does that mean the game autosaves as well?

Edited by jroller1979

Guest Scotty
Thanks, Scotty. Well I can't do any disk switch I will be playing it as a DC game on the X1, when you say allowed 3 saves that you can create yourself does that mean the game autosaves as well?

No there are no auto saves. You are allowed 3 saves that you can make at any point of the game, so make sure you use them wisely. I made a save during chapter 5, one in chapter 10, then my final one in chapter 13. I'd definitely make your final save around chapter 12/13, thats probably the hardest part of the game if memory serves, the regenerating necromorph can really screw you over and having to do the final 4 or so chapters every time you die would be pretty annoying.

No there are no auto saves. You are allowed 3 saves that you can make at any point of the game, so make sure you use them wisely. I made a save during chapter 5, one in chapter 10, then my final one in chapter 13. I'd definitely make your final save around chapter 12/13, thats probably the hardest part of the game if memory serves, the regenerating necromorph can really screw you over and having to do the final 4 or so chapters every time you die would be pretty annoying.

OK thanks for that.

• 4 months later...

Saves:

Save #1 - Chapter 5: Save right before the Tripod Sequence as there is an instant death scene if you do no hit the Tripod's tentacle fast enough. At this point you have made it through roughly 1/3 of the game and have had a few challenging parts (namely the train sequence). In addition, this a good place to save since you are close to the disc switch which will act as a temporary checkpoint (not a save point). You do not want to die here and go all the way back to the beginning of the game.

Save #2 - Chapter 9: Save right before the ending tripod sequence in which you use explosive barrels to blow up the fuel tanks. I found this sequence to be somewhat tricky as you have to time it perfectly. If you miss a fuel tank when using telekinesis it is likely you will die as the tripods continually respawn and can take you out very quickly. It is a nice place to save as you have completed the Solar Array sequence, many of the tougher zero g sequences, and the toughest stalker room in the game located in Chapter 9. Essentially you are saving at Chapter 10 anyways since the Tripod/Fuel Tank Sequence is the last part of Chapter 9.

Save #3 - Chapter 13: Save right before the eye poke machine. Once again this is another instant death scene if the eye poke is not handled carefully. Some people save right before the drill ride however, if you have fully upgraded your force gun and have the damage on your plasma cutter upgraded this sequence should be relatively easy. I found the hardest part between Chapter 9 and Chapter 13 to be the latter parts of the Ishimura on Chapter 11. The decontamination room can be tricky as enemies are coming from every direction and the end of the chapter has a large amount of exploders in an ultraviolet area. However, if you take it slow you should be okay. Also, this sets you up nicely for a final run towards the boss to wrap up the game as Chapters 14 and 15 are extremely short.