GSL 2019 Recap and Feedback Thread

bigbear.

GSL2019-Banner-2.jpg

GSL 2019 is over and it’s time to start the “post show.” First of all, congratulations to The Horseman, The Lame Gang and the Spanish Inquisition (too lazy to write full names). Also, congratulations to the overall MVP Dirty and all the team MVPs. Now, for a bit of personal reflections on each team:

The Four Horsemen: Going in these guys were my odds on favorites to win it all and they did not disappoint. Each member has a strong history in these types of competitions and each member carried their weight. Jimbot and Clown pushing each other for team MVP was fun to watch. Watty put up a score that could have been top 2 or 3 on many other teams. Also, special shoutout to my boy Corrupt for finally getting it done.

The Van der Lame Gang: I saw these guys as a bit of enigma going into the tourney. Dirty is always capable of an MVP type performance. But he also knows how to dial it back and save for other events if he doesn’t have support. Scotty has a history in SvS tournaments of talking like he won’t do much but then killing it when it matters. Hawkings was an unknown to me who put up a big performance and john kenobi is always a very steady performer. Once I saw Scotty pushing hard and moving up the ranks in week 2, I knew Dirty was going to kick it into gear and he would compete for MVP and the team had a podium spot locked up. But I did not expect them to push the Horsemen so strongly.

Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition!: Thanks for stealing 3rd from us you jerks! Sasquach absolutely killed it and Necro wasn’t far behind. Gravy put up points when it mattered and Spanish Assault got his lame butt carried :p . Seriously though, these guys are all good friends and I’m happy for them. If I was going to lose to anyone I’m glad it was them.

The Golden Girls of Gaming: For a silly named team going in as “casuals” I am super proud of our performance. Ruffus was absolutely committed to putting in one if his best tourney efforts and the battle between him and Kasper for team MVP was epic. LastLightLegacy almost quadrupled his total gamerscore during this tourney. That’s a huge effort. I was the weak link and I feel like I let these guys down a bit. Overall, a great group of guys that put in a great effort.

The Finnish Line: Man did Jappe, Kovy and the rest have a bad year...oh wait. The name stealing aside, these guys put in pretty much the performance I expected. Rapture is a completion machine who is typically only limited by having a small pool of games to pull from in tournaments. Teppy can always put in a strong performance and ESM has always seemed to come out super hot in the beginning, fade a bit but still finish well. The only thing holding the team back (and it was expected) was Pants. To be fair, I’m sure everyone on their team knew what he was going to contribute going into the tourney.

The Buttmunchers: Despite their hot start this team finished pretty much where I expected. Frag, while capable of huge numbers has too much going on in life right now for me to expect a huge number out of him. Gabe’s addiction to Rocket League was put on hold but again, he has a lot going on so his time and game pool was limited. In the end though, the competition for team MVP between Shep and Floyd was super exciting.

Final Boss: What a one woman team! The effort from Puppys was insane and I bet a lot of teams wished they had her. Jard and SexyB don’t need to try due to their sexiness though. Even when they lose, they are winners. And Blu will always be my boy. Overall, this might have been the coolest team. If not the most successful.

Clueless: My boy JRoller is a gaming machine. Great effort from him. Excuse me if I’m wrong but Sakura and VGM are relative newcomers to GSL are they not? Both put in generally solid efforts for a non competitive team. I think Havoc might have been playing too much Rocket League or Quiplash or something. :p (love you brother)

2019: A Sexy Odyssey: I think it might be a first. A team with DiggB didn’t finish last! Great effort from these sexy beasts. Strong numbers from a super casual team that we all knew might not do too much. Edword just nudged out Deg for team MVP. Forty9 broke 1K which isn’t always easy on a casual team. Most importantly, DiggB actually scored points! Love you brother.

Swashbuckling Casuals: They were very clear about their plans from day 1 and they did not disappoint. My boy DOOK got his 0, something he’s dreamed about many times before. BEA might have been the real winner out of all of us. He played Apex all month while we played shit games. Karma made sure not to do too much and ruin the plans. Stephan put up a monster performance. His GSL score accounts for like 1/5 of his current total GS (granted it is a newish tag).

———————————————

As always, we’d like to hear your opinions about how GSL went. You can discuss whatever you like but I have a few things I’d like to hear some comments on:

1. The timing of GSL: we changed the time of the year for the main tourney pretty significantly. How does everyone feel about the change? We would like to keep it around here permanently but will listen to major complaints.

2. The length of GSL: while we’ve done 4 weeks before, we would like to know if you prefer this shorter format or the longer marathons.

Edited by bigbear.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol love the recaps for each team Bear!! Sasquach and I basically count as one participant so it’s an impress feat for Joe and Blakgravy to get 3rd with only 3 teammates!!

Seriously though we got real nervous when Ruffus ate up our 10k lead with a bunch of 360 completions that last day.

Guest Scotty

1. The Van der Lame gang are technically the worst casual team there ever was. By that measure we should be ashamed of our performance. :biglaugh

2. I regret that i egged on the Spanish Inquisition with promises of completing a full series of games for Spanish Assault if he pulled his team ahead. I hate Halo. :mad:

Edited by Scotty

1. The Van der Lame gang are technically the worst casual team there ever was. By that measure we should be ashamed of our performance. :biglaugh

2. I regret that i egged on the Spanish Inquisition with promises of completing a full series of games for Spanish Assault if he pulled his team ahead. I hate Halo. :mad:

SO MANY HALOS!!! MWA HAH HAH!!!

In all seriousness though you should brush up on your Spanish cause we’re party chatting...

ALL

NIGHT

LONG

Final Boss: What a one woman team! The effort from Puppys was insane and I bet a lot of teams wished they had her. Jard and SexyB don’t need to try due to their sexiness though. Even when they lose, they are winners. And Blu will always be my boy. Overall, this might have been the coolest team. If not the most successful.

Woooo! I love the team recaps. And we definitely were the coolest team hehe. :cool: I didn't have much time to prepare as it was a last minute decision, but I wanted to make it a personal, no stress challenge to see how much I could score. If I had been on the top 2 teams in that tight competition for first, I easily would have overdone myself, so I'm glad I wasn't.

As for feedback, time of year doesn't really matter to me. I also think the length is perfect as well. I personally would have liked to see it run from the 1st to the 30th/31st though, just to have all the stats basically fall within one month. Either way, I had a blast and would love to do it again next year, whether it be super casual or semi-competitive.

The Finnish Line: Man did Jappe, Kovy and the rest have a bad year...oh wait.

Yes, that is quite a mystery. :D

If you want a lot more possible participation from us, you should reveal the start date of the GSL at least 2 months before it starts. This way we are able to find the substitutes to fill the missing teammates and prepare better.

Great recaps Bear. My team was originally planning to be casual, and we were for the first 3.5 weeks (other than Sasquach), but then the Wednesday before it ended I noticed we had a realistic shot at 3rd with how many easy games I hadn't played. I tried convincing Spanish to try for a while, but he wouldn't budge. Turns out that the thought of making Ruffus lose was a stronger motivator than he himself placing third. So you can blame me entirely for losing third. I was the one pushing Spanish and bLaKgRaVy to shoot for it. They really kept it going because I was lashing my whip at their backs.

I thought the timing during the year was fine. It wouldn't make much difference to me. As for the length, I didn't realize this was a "short" version. I am much better at sprints and dislike the marathons, especially with having a family, so I'd vote for it to be shorter rather than longer. I'm sure I'm in the minority though.

I'd also like to second what Kovy said. Announce it and post it earlier. Since you must have teams of four, people might need more time to round up teammates.

Edited by Necrophage33

Great recaps Bear. My team was originally planning to be casual, and we were for the first 3.5 weeks (other than Sasquach), but then the Wednesday before it ended I noticed we had a realistic shot at 3rd with how many easy games I hadn't played. I tried convincing Spanish to try for a while, but he wouldn't budge. Turns out that the thought of making Ruffus lose was a stronger motivator than he himself placing third. So you can blame me entirely for losing third. I was the one pushing Spanish and bLaKgRaVy to shoot for it. They really kept it going because I was lashing my whip at their backs.

I thought the timing during the year was fine. It wouldn't make much difference to me. As for the length, I didn't realize this was a "short" version. I am much better at sprints and dislike the marathons, especially with having a family, so I'd vote for it to be shorter rather than longer. I'm sure I'm in the minority though.

I'd also like to second what Kovy said. Announce it and post it earlier. Since you must have teams of four, people might need more time to round up teammates.

Money was no object to stop Ruffus!! I saved us all from bragging Ruffus.

You’re welcome.

Congrats to everyone who won!

This was my first (and probably only) real push for a podium spot. I had fun, but I was seriously burned out by the end.

The timing is good, as is the duration, but really anything between mid January and Mid April is good for me (and length isn't really an issue).

Yes, that is quite a mystery. :D

If you want a lot more possible participation from us, you should reveal the start date of the GSL at least 2 months before it starts. This way we are able to find the substitutes to fill the missing teammates and prepare better.

Good to know, we will try to give more warning. :)

Yeah not much to add, the timing is fine and four weeks feels pretty spot on.

Are we likely to see a GSL twist again later in the year?

If we do have another Twist tourney, it would be close to the end of the year.

What we are for sure having this year is the 3rd installment of the Site vs. Staff Tournament (SvS). Planned to run in June. I will warn people now, preloading will be banned so start saving up some easy full completions.

No guarantee that you'll have your team name back, unfortunately.

No guarantee that you'll have your team name back, unfortunately.

If they compete again and want their name back, they'll have it and your team will have to come up with something else. If you're only joining GSL to troll others, your team will not be welcome.

Another thing I would like to add to the recap; by my research (which could be wrong) we had 10 members earn their first ever GSL related forum awards (not counting the Cross Site Defeat award and the GSL Twist awards). With 7 of those members getting first time podium spots:

Watty883

Necrophage33

bLaKgRaVy

Spanish Assault

Hawkings

Scotty

johnb

Rapture639

Puppys

Edword

Congratulations to all those members! I also hope this let’s other members know that the chance is always there.

Also, I’d like to give JRoller some special recognition as I believe this is his 3rd straight Team MVP.

If they compete again and want their name back, they'll have it and your team will have to come up with something else. If you're only joining GSL to troll others, your team will not be welcome.

No fun allowed?

Edit: I should clarify that I was aware we were actually going to change our name just before it started and forgot. Granted, I won't even be in anymore GSL's anyway as the last one before that I competed in was supposed to be my final one.

I could be wrong since my team has never won, but not having a reward for the team that places first is kind of ridiculous.

Edited by EliteShadowMan

You act like we didn't even put up a modest score. You even said yourself that you anticipated us to win in one of your posts.

But yeah, sorry, I didn't realize that a name was a massive deterrent for earning gamerscore.

Edited by tehapoc

Teppy, dude, why are you making this a thing? If they came back, just let them have their name back and pick something else. Super easy :)

I am personally fine with both the timing and length. Doesn't matter to me when in the year it's held, as long as we get one every year. This tourney was smooth as silk (aside from the tracking issues) and I'm happy with how it turned out.

Edit: Big hugs to Shep for putting up way more competition in the end than I expected. Had I not watched that tracker, he would have easily stealthed the Team MVP from right under my nose!

Edited by Floyd.

There are only a few things that come to mind that I think could/should have been included in GSL 2019. A countdown timer to when scoring starts and to try to give a little more notice for participants to gather teams, etc. I know for a fact this sprung on us a bit early, so I'm not sure how we could have given an earlier announcement for GSL 2019 but this is more of an idea for next time. I think 2 months is probably a bit too long but a month seems fair. The other thing to keep in mind is that GSL will commence around the same time each year moving forwards, so you can plan well ahead if you choose to :)