GSL 2019 Recap and Feedback Thread

bigbear.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do what now?

The only concern that I'm reading here, and anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, is that the site doesn't want you to troll other users and asked you to not use that name if Kovy/etc. come back for next GSL.

Apparently, you don't want to do that and say this causes added stress.

So, if you just changed your name next year (which, might I add, you took first and then are upset you have to give it back), "stress" would be gone. Poof! Easy peasy.

That about right or am I way off here?

The only concern that I'm reading here, and anyone please correct me if I'm wrong, is that the site doesn't want you to troll other users and asked you to not use that name if Kovy/etc. come back for next GSL.

Apparently, you don't want to do that and say this causes added stress.

So, if you just changed your name next year (which, might I add, you took first and then are upset you have to give it back), "stress" would be gone. Poof! Easy peasy.

That about right or am I way off here?

Picking a team name doesn't stress you out? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But there are other personal grievances. No need to air them out here.

I feel like this has run its course and distracted from the purpose of the thread more than necessary. So time to move on and get back on topic more.

——————————————————

@ESM, by rewards for the 1st place team do you mean things beyond the forum awards? To give more incentive to push for 1st?

Picking a team name doesn't stress you out? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But there are other personal grievances. No need to air them out here.

*looks at team names*

We were The Buttmunchers. I think it's safe to say our name was very low on our list of concerns or things that cause stress, haha.

Personal grievances aside, I think it is perfectly reasonable for the site to ask you to give up that name, and it's also perfectly reasonable to push back against it - to a point, though, right?

I know myself and many other people would like to see you and whoever else you put together as a team in the next tournament. I'm always a big fan of Pants tanking the competition! :p

------

Edit: Oops, sorry, was replying as Bear's post went up. I won't post anymore about it.

I feel like this has run its course and distracted from the purpose of the thread more than necessary. So time to move on and get back on topic more.

——————————————————

@ESM, by rewards for the 1st place team do you mean things beyond the forum awards? To give more incentive to push for 1st?

Exactly that. I wouldn't expect anything too amazing, even just a $25 xbox gift card for every person that's on the 1st place team would at least be decent enough, but just to do it for forum awards seems a little tedious.

Exactly that. I wouldn't expect anything too amazing, even just a $25 xbox gift card for every person that's on the 1st place team would at least be decent enough, but just to do it for forum awards seems a little tedious.

I feel like we (staff) have talked about the potential for gift cards or game codes as rewards in GSL. I honestly can’t remember what the reasons for our decision were back then. But it can’t hurt discussing it again.

Keep in mind though that with some of that stuff we are at the mercy of what Webb will allow us to do and he sometimes has reasons we don’t fully understand (but aren’t necessarily bad) as to why we can’t do something.

Edited by bigbear.

I feel like we (staff) have talked about the potential for gift cards or game codes as rewards in GSL. I honestly can’t remember what the reasons for our decision were back then. But it can’t hurt discussing it again.

Keep in mind though that with some of that stuff we are at the mercy of what Webb will allow us to do and he sometimes he has reasons we don’t fully understand (but aren’t necessarily bad) as to why we can’t do something.

Reasoning it wasn't done before: Webb won't give it to you and staff have to pony it up themselves. $100 isn't a small amount of money to just hand over for being a volunteer and staff already give enough.

Reasoning it wasn't done before: Webb won't give it to you and staff have to pony it up themselves. $100 isn't a small amount of money to just hand over for being a volunteer and staff already give enough.

I think there was a bit more to it than that the last time we discussed it but that has been a factor in the past.

I think there was a bit more to it than that the last time we discussed it but that has been a factor in the past.

I'm trying to think of what other issues there could possibly be, but we gave away gift cards for the Rocket League tourney, so it obviously can be done and Webb didn't deny us that; even let it go front page for more exposure.

So what else could it really be, other than having to come up with it yourselves? Can't use codes/etc. donated by members anymore so it's all on staff :-/

Whoah.. Hold on. Webb has been very generous with game prizes for our tournaments! He's met every request I've put to him. Sure, I've donated game prizes on top of this but I wouldn't have been doing that without his generous donations.

Whoah.. Hold on. Webb has been very generous with game prizes for our tournaments! He's met every request I've put to him. Sure, I've donated game prizes on top of this but I wouldn't have been doing that without his generous donations.

Yes, this is true that he eventually decided to donate them himself, but this conversation is about prize money, no? And he declined that before.

Maybe his mind will have changed for next year?

I don't mean for this to sound anti-Webb, just giving the only reasoning I know of.

Edited by Floyd.

Yes, this is true that he eventually decided to donate them himself, but this conversation is about prize money, no? And he declined that before.

Maybe his mind will have changed for next year?

I don't mean for this to sound anti-Webb, just giving the only reasoning I know of.

He may have declined in the past, I am unsure about this. He's been on board with everything I've requested as I said above. I do recall him being a bit funny about gift cards though and preferred physical copies of games as prizes. When you say "prize money", you don't mean actual cash prizes, do you? I'm doubtful that is something we'd do.

When you say "prize money", you don't mean actual cash prizes, do you? I'm doubtful that is something we'd do.

Gift cards, like ESM mentioned above, so "good as cash" but not actual cash. Like how we gave away Amazon gift cards in the Rocket League tourney, thanks to Bear.

Gift cards, like ESM mentioned above, so "good as cash" but not actual cash. Like how we gave away Amazon gift cards in the Rocket League tourney, thanks to Bear.

I can look into it but we'll probably be sticking with 'game of your choice' as prizes. I'll see what Webb says and maybe we can add that. Is there much of a difference between 'game of your choice' and a gift card? I suppose you can sit on the gift card for a sale or a game releases that you're interested in.

I can look into it but we'll probably be sticking with 'game of your choice' as prizes. I'll see what Webb says and maybe we can add that. Is there much of a difference between 'game of your choice' and a gift card? I suppose you can sit on the gift card for a sale or a game releases that you're interested in.

This is a personal preference question, yeah? I see no reason to not use a free game as a prize, especially if the winner gets to choose the game, but others may prefer something different. Different strokes and all that ;)

Regardless of what the prize ends up being, there's not much to complain about when offered the chance to win something with no entry fee.

Those were provided out of my own pocket and had nothing to do with Webb BTW.

Regardless of what the prize ends up being, there's not much to complain about when offered the chance to win something with no entry fee.

See, that might have been what we discussed last we discussed this. There basically is an entry fee to win GSL. We don’t like it but it is a cold hard truth. To do well you have to spend money on games you might not otherwise play (unless you are a hardcore hunter). So when you spend over $100 to win is a $25 gift card that meaningful to you? Sure, it mitigates the cost a bit. But how much?

Edited by bigbear.

I got really unlucky during the last weekend and my internet went out (still isn't back on, 5 days later). I had to use my phone as a hotspot just so achievements would pop correctly. I tried to steal the MVP spot from Floyd and came pretty close, but at the end my internet through my phone just wasn't fast enough to download any more games, so I conceded the win to Floyd. He earned it.

But next year...

PinkBlankHyrax-size_restricted.gif

I do wish there was some cool prizes for first place, or top 3, but also can't expect the staff to cough up the money needed to supply those prizes. I know I'd rather be spending $200+ on games I can whore gamerscore in, rather than a brand new game for each of the winners :p

I do wish there was some cool prizes for first place, or top 3, but also can't expect the staff to cough up the money needed to supply those prizes. I know I'd rather be spending $200+ on games I can whore gamerscore in, rather than a brand new game for each of the winners :p

How about a crisp high-five?

I have a code for a digital copy of unity buried in my inbox. Congrats to the first place team and the top 3 finishers for MVP!! Have fun!

*no guarantee I find it :p

The Golden Girls of Gaming[/b]: For a silly named team going in as “casuals” I am super proud of our performance. Ruffus was absolutely committed to putting in one if his best tourney efforts and the battle between him and Kasper for team MVP was epic. LastLightLegacy almost quadrupled his total gamerscore during this tourney. That’s a huge effort. I was the weak link and I feel like I let these guys down a bit. Overall, a great group of guys that put in a great effort.

Not a weak link and no let down bro.

We said we were casual going in. Cant change our goals 1 week in and expect everyone to become competitive suddenly.

If we got it, great. Since we didn't, no big deal.

Everyone did their best