Early Thoughts and Journey Chat.

Dirty130

So, some of us started playing yesterday. What do you think so far? Was it what you had hoped for? How are you finding the combat? Are you getting lost or finding it super easy to progress?

Share all your Sekiro early thoughts here!

Personally, I'm finding a lot in common with Dark Souls and while most probably appreciate that, I don't as much. The familiarity genuinely helps but I wanted a completely original game, this just feels like Dark Souls with a Samurai/Shinobi reskin so far. -That's really not a complaint, however.

The cutscenes, dialogue and character conversations are welcome as I found those lacking in the Dark Souls games. I've taken an instant liking to the environments but wish they'd come up with something more original than a bonfire to rest at.

To help the player progress, a little more than just being told vaguely where to go would be nice. I don't want a giant yellow arrow pointing where to go but a rough, hand-drawn map would be a fair inclusion. Sure, I get it, that's not how From do things but I don't care, I like clear direction my games.

Combat is interesting. I really like the idea of breaking posture to open up your opponent for a lethal strike but it does feel a bit gimmicky and it reminds me too much of poise from Dark Souls, so again, with the lack of original gameplay features.

Having block and parry on the same button allows for easy parries but it appears not all attacks can be parried? This bugs me for a few reasons and on a couple of different levels.

Let me explain..

To me, when you parry, you should be completely vulnerable to damage if you mistime your parry. In Sekiro, if you fudge your timing, you can instantly fall back on a block and be safe. Kinda lame but it is what is, I guess. I feel like most won't agree with this and be thankful for it but it's just not how I'm used to parrying in games. Example.

Stealth.. Well, it's pretty lame. Like most games that feature a stealth mechanic, you have awareness meters that build up when enemies see you. So long as you can slip in behind them and press RB before that meter maxes, you can achieve a stealth kill. Just seems silly to me after spending the last week on Hitman 2.

While a lot of my thoughts on Sekiro may seem negative, they're not taking much enjoyment away from the game. They're mainly minor gripes that I will have to adjust to.

TL;DR? It's not Tenchu but I'll play it!

Game on! :D

Edited by Dirty130
A mini-boss bullied me/Updated thread title.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally it very much feels like a Souls game. Souls purists might disagree, but I think there's just so many similarities it's hard not to compare it to that series. Which isn't bad, but I agree with you. I was hoping for something a little more... original?

I actually prefer the change from a voiceless, player-created character to Wolf, a fully-voiced and realized character. I feel much more attached, despite the fact he rarely says anything. The story, while interesting, is kinda convoluted and only given out in bits and pieces. Which is also a Souls staple, but it just aggravates me. I wanna know what's going on, damnit!

The gameplay is great. While it could use a better tutorial, I love the fast paced combat. The parry/riposte mechanic is fun, considering that's pretty much how I played during the Souls games. The bloody kill animations are sweet, but I wish some of the blood got on the character. Minor gripe, but it would have been cool. The game is hard but so far not unfair. I think the speed at which I can play it helps whenever I die and need to get back to where I was. I haven't unlocked many upgrades for the prosthetic yet, but the options seem pretty cool and varied.

I'm actually happy there is no multiplayer. I never cared for it in the Souls games, as it seemed mostly there to break immersion and grief players. I'm happy to leave that toxicity behind.

It's fun picking this up along with everyone else, before there are hundreds of guides out there. I'm just throwing myself headlong into everything, trying out different tactics to see what works and what gets my butt kicked. Overall, it's super fun and I recommend it. I just hope the story gets a bit better as I play.

Even as a Souls fanboy I am inclined to agree. I love the Dark Souls + samurai vibe don’t get me wrong, but I kind of wanted to see From software branch out a bit more.

The sound design in this game is incredible though. The sound of the katanas clashing is sooooo awesome. Haven’t played too much of t but I intend to make a lot more progress tomorrow!

Guest Scotty

I've only played as far as the hub area at the end of the tutorial so my insight is limited.

The first and i think main point is how gorgeous the game is. I have a 4K TV but only a standard Xbox so im not getting 4K and it still looks fantastic, so i can only imagine how good it looks in 4K.

The combat felt good too, not clunky in any way. Like i say i've not got into it properly so my only experience is with the Katana and not any of the prosthetic stuff. I assume it gets a bit more indepth as pressing :1lb: the parry, then :1rb: to counterattack will get very boring by the end of the game i should imagine.

Looking forward to getting into it, but it won't be for some time, got too many other games to finish first.:rolleyes:

Love the game, but I am terrible at it. I was mostly a dodge roller in the souls games. Never really got the hang of the parrying. Seems like the dodging in this game is really second fiddle to being able to parry and I'm just horrible at it. Struggling my way through. Hopefully I get better. lol

I'm having a hard time enjoying it to be honest. I guess I went in with the mindset that because I beat Dark Souls 1-3, Demon Souls, and Bloodborne, I could easily tackle this. That's not the case, as I am struggling on every single boss and mini-boss, and beating them just feels like I lucked out rather than I actually 'got gud' and beat them. I'm about 20 hours in so far, but I've ran into a boss I cannot kill in every direction I've explored. I've spent as much as 3 hours on two of them, and it's starting to feel depressing. In Soulsborne games, whenever I couldn't beat the boss I would just go explore some more and level up in the process. This isn't the case with Sekiro, as you can only level up from defeating bosses/mini-bosses.

The mini-bosses themselves aren't easy, either. They basically require you to run in, clear an area with the big guy chasing you the entire time, then wait for him to reset himself so you can sneak up to him and take one of his two health bars off. Then, you need to get his health down once legit, which for every single mini-boss, is no easy task. It requires being perfect in dodging and countering for 3-5 minutes; make one mistake and you might be off to spending another 10 minutes clearing an area to fight him again. You can't really ignore them, as they are the source of increasing your health, which is already laughable (as it normally is in Soulsborne games). That's all you have to worry about in Sekiro, no other attributes. Great for newcomers; extremely lame for veterans.

Both Lady Butterfly and the General at the top of the castle have put me into such a rut with the game that I see no way of continuing without some sort of difficulty decrease, which just doesn't happen with From games. I'm sure everyone's responses to my thoughts on the game will just be the usual 'git gud' but this game is beyond my capabilities as a gamer. I've personally changed over the years so much, shying away from the competitive Halo/COD of my teens and the extremely difficult games of my 20s that no longer give me the satisfaction of beating them. I thought Sekiro would be a little tough, but the learning curve is too extreme for me to even desire to keep practicing. I never liked games where I had to be perfect for some fights, much less all of them. Bosses especially, I can't tell you how upset I felt when I finally got the General down, only to recognize I got 'FromSofted' and he had a second phase. It took all of my six healing items and a lot of luck to get that far, and I got smoked instantly. Like I said I tried going off into a different direction to explore but honestly what's the point? I know that if I want a damage boost, I'm going to have to beat him. And I believe he is the second intended boss, but I guess I could be wrong. Lady Butterfly is the same exact shit. Be perfect for 5-6 minutes to get her down or you're toast. Once you've done that after trying again and again, boom, hidden second phase. Fail, and you're back to square one.

Difficulty is obviously my biggest hurdle, but the second is replayability. There is next to no builds in this game. I take partial blame for this, as I could have done a better job in researching and reviewing what I was getting into, but I suck at that. I feel like if there's a chance I'll enjoy a game that is coming out, I don't want to watch gameplay trailers of it or read up on it to keep it spoiler-free, but that's a lame excuse. Anyways, You get a sword, a handful of abilities (good luck keeping the experience needed to unlock them when you're dying 100 times), and you get a few prosthetic tools, none of which have been useful enough to warrant using in tandem with your sword. It doesn't play like a Soulsborne game at all, so it's nothing like one. You either learn to parry to bring down an enemy's posture, or you die trying...Over and over again. If you're a die-hard 'dodger' in the series like me, you will not succeed in killing anything. Dying a lot also punishes you in this game, which is never a good thing. Unlike the loss of health from DS II, it seems like your chances at not losing anything upon death are reduced. Mine is currently the lowest it can possibly go (5%, supposedly) and I see no point in returning that percentage to normal because it's just going to slowly make it's way back down to 5% after another 10 hours at my sorry excuse for gameplay.

Aside from those two things, the game is great. There is no doubt that it has earned the 9/10 or 90/100 ratings it is getting. I love the atmosphere and exploring. I cannot deny that I love grappling around, and that mechanic introduces a whole new can of worms on the location of hidden items in the game. However I traversed myself into a dark cavern with a headless dude that was impossible to beat (no, literally, I need glitter consumables or something that I haven't seen yet). I still enjoy opening a door and realizing that I just cleared the area and opened myself a shortcut around the world. The music is also pretty good, a little bit eerie in certain places but I can dig it. Graphics are also out of this damn world, but it's the first game I'm playing on a PS4 Pro so I would hope so lol. If you haven't made it to the canyon yet, you will shit your pants and that's a good thing. My favorite part about the game so far.

Right now I'm considering holding off on continuing with the game. I got physically upset trying to beat both bosses, and just want the suffering to end. I'm 100% certain that once the suffering finally does end with this boss, I'll suffer through the next area's mini-bosses until I get stuck at the next asshole cheap-shot boss in line, who probably also has an unnecessary second phase. I'd like to hold out and see if there will be a difficulty-tuning patch, but I can't remember FromS actually helping players with difficulty, only patches where they nerf things. Like I said, I don't want 'hand-holding,' but I certainly don't want to spend 3-4 hours+ on every single boss I come across, making me run through entire areas and not explore them. If it doesn't happen, maybe I'll magically come back to it with a head of steam once I get some looming things off my plate, such as DMC V and Halo MCC. But hey, if it ruins my PSN 100% than so be it. I'd rather it be a good game that I just couldn't do, rather than a bs or glitched trophy ruining it. I'm not entirely upset over it because while it was hard work, my 100% tag has been much more hassle and stress than it's worth. Nobody on Playstation can even see my hard work unless I tell them, or they see my card in my site signatures, so what's the point.

tl;dr: It's been a while since I've enjoyed a good game. I went into Sekiro mostly blind in hopes that this would be the one to help me find my love for gaming. It didn't spark my love at all; all I got was a game that's just too hard for me to enjoy and I'm taking a break from it already.

Edited by Puppys

I definitely agree with the difficulty. I've always been terrible at parrying in the Souls games, and the massive emphasis on deflecting in this have made it one of the hardest games i've ever played, and not always in a good way. I only just beat Lady Butterfly yesterday.

I knew it was going to be very different from the Soulsborne games, but I still thought i'd be at least "okay" at it. I like to think of myself as a Soulsborne "vet" (having got the platinum trophies for Demon's Souls, Dark Souls 1 on PS3 PS4 Xbox 360 and PC, the original Dark Souls 2 on PC and PS3, Dark Souls 2 Scholar on PC and PS4, Dark Souls 3 on PC and PS4, and Bloodborne) but this game is fucking hard and really pushing my shit in. Some areas are so hard that they feel cheap and just have me running past everything, while other areas are incredibly easy to cheese due to the fact that you can stealth kill an enemy, run away to lose aggro of everyone else, and then rinse and repeat for every enemy in the area.

Not going to write a novel on all my thoughts like Puppys, but yeah i'm not enjoying it nearly as much as I thought I would. I definitely agree with the point that beating a hard boss or area after many attempts feels like I got lucky rather than got good.

I hear what you guys are saying. I am really liking the game but i haven’t yet gotten to a point where I can no longer progress in the game like Puppys (there’s always a way pups).

I was always a god at parrying in DS so this game is almost designed for me lol. If I wasn’t good at parrying then this game would be a nightmare and a half.

I defeated only the first two main bosses in the game. As one who has played the Soul series and Nioh, I have to say this is perhaps the HARDEST of them.

This game places heavy emphasis on not only parrying, but also relentless attacks - you cannot play it safe because the enemies would recover their posture over time; hit-and-break tactics mean you will never beat the bosses. However, if you get aggressive, the enemies will punish you heavily. This game really forces you to get good.

As for the death penalty, it is easier to avoid death but once you get careless and die twice, the penalty is half of your EXP and money and that really is harsh.

Edited by ImaginaryRuins

The game is tough as nails, it took me like an hour to beat one of the mini bosses, you get hit once and you're fucked. I'm up for the challenge but I hate the dragon rot mechanic and losing half your xp and Sen is annoying. Doesn't add any fun to the game.

I hope I can finish it eventually, the game is really good looking even on my regular Xbox.

I think you just killed any chance of me ever trying this game. From your description, I'd never finish the first boss so I don't think I need to bother. Shame as the setting looks amazing.

I hate to kill anyone's desire to play a game, but for this game I'll make an exception. It's way too hard for me, and I've platinumed every Soulsborne game to date (and even completed all of them at least once on Xbox).

I definitely agree with the difficulty. I've always been terrible at parrying in the Souls games, and the massive emphasis on deflecting in this have made it one of the hardest games i've ever played, and not always in a good way. I only just beat Lady Butterfly yesterday.

I haven't even beaten Lady Butterfly. I've tried the various cheeses a few times and just can't get her. I've been closer than I have with General Asshat at the top of the castle, but I don't think there's a path beyond Lady Butterfly so I haven't bothered beating her.

For anyone finding the game too easy, From were nice enough to add a Hard Mode. /S

084.png

For anyone finding the game too easy, From were nice enough to add a Hard Mode. /S

I had that active for a fair number of hours today and yesterday and honestly didn't notice any real difficulty increase tbh.

Maybe it's just because the game is so hard as it is that if i'm capable of beating an enemy normally, it's not any harder with the demon bell active.

I haven't even beaten Lady Butterfly. I've tried the various cheeses a few times and just can't get her. I've been closer than I have with General Asshat at the top of the castle, but I don't think there's a path beyond Lady Butterfly so I haven't bothered beating her.

I'm also stuck on General Bastard, but there are actually a few more ways to go than it seems at first glance, tho you do have to get past some more bosses/minibosses to get to them.

Edited by institutions

First off just gonna say I'm absolutely loving this game. Its fantastic and the difficulty is brutal. Hard to really say how far I am but imy attack power is 5 so iv killed 4 or 5 main bosses. Says 18 hours on m save file

It definitely has a dark souls tone to it but I feel this game is waaay more engaging and tense. These bosses and mini bosses have absolutely wrecked me but get closer each time and when you do beat them it feels great. At least for me it is. The game is also significantly harder than dark souls games which imo were not really that difficult unless you gimped yourself and made it hard for yourself.

Sekiro tho, there doesn't seem to be a way to get op since you can't just go level up, you gotta fight tough fights to get your upgrades

I don't think the general(the 2 part one) is the 2nd intended boss I would recommend checking for another area you may have missed puppies I know I missed a few early on. I had level 3 attack when I killed lady butterfly. Maybe 13 vitality and I killed her before the general I'm sure. Lady butterfly was my first boss to come across and after getting wrecked many times I decided to explore other areas and I did find other ways to go with more mini/bosses to kill and came back Later

Edit after looking at my memories I must of killed lady butterfly after I killed the general for me to have level 3 attack against her meaning I did kill the general 2nd

So far my main major gripe with this game is the camera. My god that camera can be annoying and get you killed sometimes. For example when you fight a mini boss and get stuck in a corner. They would be wailing on you and you can't really see a thing and end up dying.

2nd gripe is I don't like that the combat art is shared with the block button. There are many times I accidently do a combat attack because I forgot to let go of block and leave myself open.

Best advice I could probably give is just be patient and chip away at the wood. The lower enemy hp is the slower their posture recovers. So don't worry about deflects or mikado counters unless enemy is below 50% hp or something. Just take your time look for openings chip away their health and deflect/counter or just get in some attacks. Don't get greedy and yo will wear them down.

That said it is pretty damn hard so just hang in there. I'm getting wrecked by a boss which turned out to be a 2 part fight and I decided I'm just gonna go get food and take a break. Explore when I get back

Edited by Lewie B I ReQ

The camera is bad in all of the Soulsborne games, but yeah it's especially noticeable in Sekiro.

You really need to watch the enemy and see what moves they're about to do, specifically those moves that you can't block and you have to see whether they're going to be a thrust or a grab or a sweep so you know how to counter.

My biggest problem atm I think is that having these minibosses surrounded by other trash mobs, like 5 gun shooty guys, just feels like cheap artificial difficulty.

Yikes, lol. Are those bosses more doable than this guy?

Well, I managed to beat them so I guess they're more doable yeah :p

I found a decent mid-game (I think i'm at mid-game anyway) spot for farming gold and skill points earlier.

Edited by institutions

Also I'm not sure how I feel about the spirit emblem mechanic. I feel like the game is hard enough with the prosthetic arm never mind without the arm because you have no emblems.

I don't feel that the arm is op enough to justify the emblem cost. That said I have barely any upgrades on my arm so maybe it will be op later on I don't know.

Guest Scotty

I'm not in a huge rush to go back to this after reading through all these comments. :biglaugh I was crap at Dark Souls but at least that could be cheesed/co-oped. I'll probably get stuck on the first boss and give up i don't have any patience as a general rule, especially not as i get older.

Also I'm not sure how I feel about the spirit emblem mechanic. I feel like the game is hard enough with the prosthetic arm never mind without the arm because you have no emblems.

I don't feel that the arm is op enough to justify the emblem cost. That said I have barely any upgrades on my arm so maybe it will be op later on I don't know.

I've been upgrading the spear a lot, and i'm finding both it and the flame vent to be pretty useful in combat. The second to last spear upgrade is the one i'm on and charged up it does a nice big charge that damages health and posture even if they're guarding.

I've also got whatever the upgrades are that let you follow up your prosthetic attack with an extra R1.

I've been upgrading the spear a lot, and i'm finding both it and the flame vent to be pretty useful in combat. The second to last spear upgrade is the one i'm on and charged up it does a nice big charge that damages health and posture even if they're guarding.

I've also got whatever the upgrades are that let you follow up your prosthetic attack with an extra R1.

I haven't got the spear yet, I'm probably missing a few upgrades for my arm.

The spirit emblem cost tho, I feel it would jus be better to just have a set amount between resting at the idols. Kinda annoying to have to farm to be able to use our arms and skills just to only be allowed a set amount anyway. I dunno so far it's just sorta annoying. The boss I'm on now for example I need fire crackers and this boss kicks my ass so I burn through them and then it's either go without or go farm spirit emblems. I just wanna retry the boss not go farm for something to use in boss fight

. The follow up attack is really nice tho, especially with the shuriken. Lady butterfly don't like shuriken with follow ups

I still haven't done any kind of farming tho so tomorrow I will be farming some emblems and banking some coin

Edited by Lewie B I ReQ

-Puppys' original rant-

I hate to be that guy, I really do, but... I don't think Lady Butterfly was that hard of a boss.

I killed her on my first try. No joke.

Now hear me out - like Slaughter I was always good with timing in video games, and parrying was no different in Dark Souls, so deflections are something I immediately tried to learn and master. And honestly, after getting my ass kicked by Juzo the Drunkard 15 times because he's a Posture breaking machine, Lady Butterfly was much simpler.

To give some setpiecing here, I had an Attack Power of 2, Vitality of 12 and a copious amount of skillpoints and Sen from farming the enemies just before Juzo in Central Hirata Castle. I had given up on Juzo and went the main path to Senpou Temple, beating the Boar, the horse-rider and a few other minibosses. I progressed to the point where there were about 10 Monks all in one area Judo kicking my balls to my teeth so I decided to go give Juzo a try again since I first fought him with no upgrades.

I killed him on my second try with the help of the NPC, and luckily saw that I had already picked up some Snap Grass earlier from somewhere, allowing me plenty of illusion breaks during the fight. I had also made sure to stockpile Pellets for boss fights earlier, and had the max of 3 going in. The game even gives you tips to help defeat the Lady - you can't break her Posture easily but it will be easier the lower her health is.

Going into the fight, I figured out her combat pattern in, no lie, 60 seconds. So, I chipped away at her health until it was halfway gone from the first bar and used my stored up Shadowstrike Combat Art (I had dumped every point I had in the Shinobi skill tree to get it) and broke her Posture within 2 uses. Her attack flurries were easy enough to deflect, which kept my own Posture bar relatively low and hers on the rise.

After her second phase and the illusions came out, it was really just more of the same but with shadow mobs. The Snap Grass dealt with that and it was basically a repeat of the first phase. Chipped away at her health until it was half, deflecting her fast attack strings, not taking too much damage, and 2 Shadowstrikes later she was dead. I had slipped up on a couple of her aerial dives and died, but I resurrected and by the end of it I had 2 Pellets left and half health.

I don't know if I just had a lucky first fight with her or what, but being as prepared as I was, I did not find her that much of an overbearing challenge. I genuinely had fun learning her attack patterns and deflecting them, as well as seeing her second phase being brought down to nothing by my consumables.

I think this is the core of the game right here - there are enemies that demand certain attack styles that Sekiro is capable of at every front, and defeating them means you must be able to master all of them. Some enemies require prosthetic use to defeat, meaning you must be able to balance Spirit use with your blade strikes. Some enemies require skillful dashing and flitting in and out of large attack ranges, which means you must be able to dodge, attack, and if necessary deflect out of range. And there are some enemies, a majority I'd believe, that require skillful deflection of their unrelenting sword or spear swings. And a game that demands mastery of all three of those combat styles is what makes this game so demanding, yet so exhilarating to play.

I'm not going to lie, I agree with you here. They don't give you many Spirit Emblems to begin with, and the upgrades for your max capacity are tiny at best. Especially for how situational the prosthetic is - unless an enemy specifically calls for it, I don't use it. I only recently got to the part where you can upgrade your prosthetics, and at this point the upgrades aren't even worth the Sen to me.

------------------

Barring my braggadocio above, I do have my own gripes with this game. Performance wise, it's aggravating at best, and downright pathetic at worst. With an i7-8700 CPU and a GTX 1080 on Medium settings, playing for too long introduced stutter like you wouldn't believe, to the point where I thought I was playing on an OG Xbox One. I had to close the game and restart it to get the thing to play normally again. And even then, there are times where if I move too quickly or traverse upwards too fast, stutter will appear again. I hope a future patch addresses this, but a 2019 game should be better optimized than this.

As for the gameplay itself, I believe the Deflection mechanic should be more rewarding. As in, successfully pulling one off should not add to your own Posture break regardless. I once pulled off a perfect Deflection string on Juzo's full 4 hit combo, and still ended up with a 3/4's broken Posture bar. How am I supposed to feel good about pulling off something like that if his Posture bar is sitting pretty at half for deflecting every attack while mine is a quarter more broken?

And the artificial difficulty is indeed there. Many times I've had to find some way to kite enemies around just to get rid of all the mobs surrounding the boss I'm trying to kill, often times dying to either the mobs themselves or the boss jabbing me in the back. I get it, From, you want your game to be brutal. But throwing a bunch of guys trying to poke me or set me on fire while a guy with a Poleaxe is trying to gut me is not indicative of what your combat should be.

In any case, I'm loving this game so far, but it could be better. I hope those who are currently in it, and in a rut, to keep pushing forward. Those who are offput by the difficulty... well, you can always watch LobosJr run through the game without healing, I suppose.

Edited by Dante XBA

I don't think Lady Butterfly was that hard of a boss.

I killed her on my first try. No joke.

Lady Butterfly took me 8 attempts but I really felt I should have beat her on my 6th or 7th try. Both times she had 1-3% health left in her second phase and I should have just held my right trigger down for a spinning shuriken as I had ammo/charms available (rather than take a fatal blade to the face a split-second later).

after getting my ass kicked by Juzo the Drunkard 15 times

I got that drunk bugger on my second try with Jack as my witness :o

2 Shadowstrikes later she was dead

Dante, pls. If you mean Shadowrush, Lady's an absolute sucker for Nightjar Slash! It's found under Prosthetic Arts and is much quicker to unlock than Shadowstrike. Though, I do imagine Shadowstrike hits significantly harder?

Lady Butterfly took me 8 attempts but I really felt I should have beat her on my 6th or 7th try. Both times she had 1-3% health left in her second phase and I should have just held my right trigger down for a spinning shuriken as I had ammo/charms available (rather than take a fatal blade to the face a split-second later).

I got that drunk bugger on my second try with Jack as my witness :o

Dante, pls. If you mean Shadowrush, Lady's an absolute sucker for Nightjar Slash! It's found under Prosthetic Arts and is much quicker to unlock than Shadowstrike. Though, I do imagine Shadowstrike hits significantly harder?

Normally that sort of thing would happen to me as well, but I was just so focused that none of her tricks fazed me.

That makes sense haha - he really is a simple boss, but it's very difficult to Deflect him so it destroyed me because I kept trying to do so anyway.

I do mean Shadowrush - I forgot what it was called. It's the last ability unlocked in the Shinobi Arts tree and is somewhat like an upgraded thrust move. Longer reach, more damage to both health and Posture, and it launches you above them for a potential instant deathblow if it breaks their health/Posture. It costs 2 Spirit Emblems to use but it's a fantastic Combat Art.

What does Nightjar Slash do? Whirlwind Slash didn't seem that useful to me.

I did Juzou second try, but I cheesed it so it doesn't really count. Didn't have to deflect a single attack. Started by sprinting around to kill off all the little guys, and then I ran over and got the NPC guy when it was just the miniboss left, and then I let him focus on the NPC while I used hit-and-run tactics and oil + flame vent.

I said it on another forum yesterday, but now that i'm much farther in than I was, i'm finding it to be an 8/10 when it's at its best, 2-3/10 at its worst, and a solid 6 overall everywhere else. The best part of the game imo is exploring areas and taking down everyone with stealth.