Early Thoughts and Journey Chat.

Dirty130

It took me a long time to beat the first ape fight, but the second one was somehow much easier.

The ape's bride just had so little health and posture that it only took like a minute to take it out and make it a 1v1 fight again, and the regular ape's second phase is much easier than its first.

Definitely had less hp than the first fight. Felt like I was tickling his health first time but the 2.0 fight went way faster. That backup ape that shows up, I didn't know how weak it was. Didn't even attack her once and just focused on main eadless ape

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I understand the endings correctly you may need to save and reload at the point where [spoiler=endgame]You choose between Owl and Kuro, as 3 endings are tied to siding with Kuro. 2 of them seem pretty straightforward (Immortal Severance and Purification come down to where you go and who you fight), but the Return ending may require doing something differently with the Serpent Viscera.

You can actually get all three endings after beating the final boss, if you do all quest steps up to that point. You get the endings by giving Kuro one of three items.

The guardian ape 2.0 surprised me when it turned into a 2v1 but I ignored the newcomer and just went all out against the headless ape. Killed him and the Mortal ape just gave up. Boss fight over. So it's worth knowing you don't have to kill both of them

That's actually funny. I couldn't fight the headless ape without his partner getting in my face and being annoying. Like Dante, I yolo'd the brown ape with 5x firecrackers, and I could kill it immediately.

Idk how accurate that is anymore tbh lol

I thought I had cured everyone but now like 4 more people have got it since i've been dying over and over to this one boss

Okay, no problem. Thanks for the update. Though, we're certain these NPCs can't die, right? Like, I've got some sick AF NPCs that just sound terrible when trying to breathe. I'll leave them and heal them when I need something from them, as terrible as that sounds :p

Also, you hit RB while you are still in the air and after you have already been hit by the lightning, and you've gotta get the animation off before you hit the ground. So if you anticipate it wrong and jump too early you can be hit on the way down and not have time to get the reversal animation off.

This makes perfect sense and I can see why it doesn't work sometimes and you take damage. Figured it was timing but didn't know if I was late, early or WTF. Cheers!

If you've beaten O'Rin and the Corrupted Monk, you're definitely ready for Genichiro. Story-wise, the game kinda expects you to have defeated him long before that Corrupted Monk lol.

I mean, I kinda figured that given how close Genichiro is to the start of the game and how far away the other two are. Thing is, doesn't the environment change after beating Genichiro? Like it becomes set on fire or nighttime or something? I guess I'm trying to do as much as I can before that. I'm still basically playing blind, so never really have any direction in mind apart "where the f*ck is the next idol/bonfire", lol.

I was pretty disappointed when I beat the game for the first time to see just how many minibosses were duplicates, but the game is pretty unique across its areas that it's not that bad. I mean, there are a lot of them...

You're right about the areas and most of them are great looking. Just like Dark Souls, it's cool to look around and see previous or upcoming areas in the distance. The repeat bosses I can't really excuse though. Given how creative the devs are, I see no excuse to have to fight some of them 2 or 3 times without an explantion or obvious good reasoning like Genichiro for example. "But Dirty, you fought everyone 3 times in DMC on PS2 back in the day, remember?" True and that pissed me off, too! :p

The Headless and the Shichimen Warrior are better fought with the Purple Umbrella and Divine Confetti. Purple Umbrella negates Terror attacks from Apparitions and Divine Confetti allows you to hit them harder.

I only just came across the Demon Bell yesterday after finally wandering up Mt. Kongo, so might use it to farm some confetti and consider giving him an asskickin'.

Probably not the best idea to trade Attack Power for Skillpoints though. You need to get all skills for an achievement anyway, and the tradeoff isn't that great. Even with my Attack Power where it is, it doesn't do that much after the upgrade.

If it's just achievements, I'm not worried. I'd be very satisfied with seeing just one ending and would call it at that and go back to Hitman 2. So, if I don't want achievements and have all the skills I need (I may not), I should be good to grab some extra power, right? Most likely going to collect some more scales for the mask today as I only managed to nab a few yesterday because I dicked around in Sempou Temple most of the day :rolleyes:

Yes. Once you die, resurrect first, and then immediately pause the game and choose the quit option in the menu. When you return to the game, you will be out of the combat zone (boss fight room). Now, use the Homeward Idol and then viola! Good as new, no XP or money lost.

Wow, nice! And you don't get any rot emblems either?

Got to say that my favorite boss so far was either the True Corrupted Monk or the Divine Dragon. The former was very fun and fair to fight against, while the latter was just so freaking cool.

Did you get 2 stealth hits on him from the trees or do all 3 health bars 'git gud-legit' style? I intend to cheese his first two bars as my struggle with his first encounter was real (when it really shouldn't have been). Hell, if I can farm some snap seeds, I'll wreck his last health bar with them as I'm simply not taking any more shit from him!

Yesterday, I finished wasting my time exploring the Abandoned Dungeon; There wasn't a whole lot down there I wanted. I got my 6th prayer bead bracelet and wandered up Mt Kongo killing all the monks. Got some scales and beat the Armoured Warrior with a Mortal Kombat Pit Stage Fatality, lol! Found another Gourd Seed somewhere along the way, too!

Today I'll focus on scales and coin for the mask, beat up the second Giraffe, Sen’un and maybe then come back for Genichiro but that will probably get postponed until tomorrow. Any reason to put off fighting him ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Okay, no problem. Thanks for the update. Though, we're certain these NPCs can't die, right? Like, I've got some sick AF NPCs that just sound terrible when trying to breathe. I'll leave them and heal them when I need something from them, as terrible as that sounds :p

I mean, I kinda figured that given how close Genichiro is to the start of the game and how far away the other two are. Thing is, doesn't the environment change after beating Genichiro? Like it becomes set on fire or nighttime or something? I guess I'm trying to do as much as I can before that. I'm still basically playing blind, so never really have any direction in mind apart "where the f*ck is the next idol/bonfire", lol.

You're right about the areas and most of them are great looking. Just like Dark Souls, it's cool to look around and see previous or upcoming areas in the distance. The repeat bosses I can't really excuse though. Given how creative the devs are, I see no excuse to have to fight some of them 2 or 3 times without an explantion or obvious good reasoning like Genichiro for example. "But Dirty, you fought everyone 3 times in DMC on PS2 back in the day, remember?" True and that pissed me off, too! :p

I only just came across the Demon Bell yesterday after finally wandering up Mt. Kongo, so might use it to farm some confetti and consider giving him an asskickin'.

If it's just achievements, I'm not worried. I'd be very satisfied with seeing just one ending and would call it at that and go back to Hitman 2. So, if I don't want achievements and have all the skills I need (I may not), I should be good to grab some extra power, right? Most likely going to collect some more scales for the mask today as I only managed to nab a few yesterday because I dicked around in Sempou Temple most of the day :rolleyes:

Wow, nice! And you don't get any rot emblems either?

Did you get 2 stealth hits on him from the trees or do all 3 health bars 'git gud-legit' style? I intend to cheese his first two bars as my struggle with his first encounter was real (when it really shouldn't have been). Hell, if I can farm some snap seeds, I'll wreck his last health bar with them as I'm simply not taking any more shit from him!

Yesterday, I finished wasting my time exploring the Abandoned Dungeon; There wasn't a whole lot down there I wanted. I got my 6th prayer bead bracelet and wandered up Mt Kongo killing all the monks. Got some scales and beat the Armoured Warrior with a Mortal Kombat Pit Stage Fatality, lol! Found another Gourd Seed somewhere along the way, too!

Today I'll focus on scales and coin for the mask, beat up the second Giraffe, Sen’un and maybe then come back for Genichiro but that will probably get postponed until tomorrow. Any reason to put off fighting him ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I am certain. You can't even strike important ones with your sword (it'll make shimmering sounds and pass right through them), and I left a couple of folks sick all the way to the end and they were fine. Well... besides some of their scripted deaths anyway.

After you humiliate Genichiro for the second time, it becomes daytime I believe, and spawns change around Ashina Castle.

It wouldn't have been that big of an issue if only a couple bosses were repeats, but there are just so many... I always thought that From developed environments first and enemies second, and I think Sekiro affirms that belief for me.

If you're not worried about achievements, I'd say make sure you've got the core skills that every Shinobi should have (health steal on Deathblow, supreme stealth, etc.), go for powering up. At least half of the skills in the game are pretty situational or downright useless anyway.

I'd be careful fighting the True Corrupted Monk in Fountainhead Palace, as she is not an Apparition and Snap Seeds will not damage her like they do in the first fight. She is still pretty weak to Prosthetics though.

There are a couple points in the game that do change the environment/time of day (I accidentally locked myself out of a miniboss who drops a prayer bead, as well as an entire ending which means i'm gonna have to do some really hard bosses in both NG+ and NG++) but I don't think Genichiro was one of them.

Though I guess it is smart to do everything you can think of doing before Genichiro just in case. I pretty much did that as well lol

I am certain. You can't even strike important ones with your sword (it'll make shimmering sounds and pass right through them), and I left a couple of folks sick all the way to the end and they were fine. Well... besides some of their scripted deaths anyway.

Good! I killed some poor fool in the Abandoned Dungeon who inturn was needed for a side quest but really, f*cks given? Zero..

I'd be careful fighting the True Corrupted Monk in Fountainhead Palace, as she is not an Apparition and Snap Seeds will not damage her like they do in the first fight.

DDtq3Ij.gif

Though I guess it is smart to do everything you can think of doing before Genichiro just in case. I pretty much did that as well lol

Dirty is smart: CONFIRMED!

Nah, when I first read Dante had acquired like 50 bead bracelets and I had like 1 or 2, I knew I had to explore for more instead of wasting my time, fighting bosses with a tiny health bar. Turns out I can usually take 2 hits and not die now instead of the second hit killing me. Of course, this isn't always the case depending on the attack that hits me :o

Edited by Dirty130
Typo/Genichiro bullied me.

Got the immortal severance ending. Didn't kill flame of hatred tho. Decided I'm going o start a complete fresh and better manage my skill points and not go ham on my spirit emblems

I'd be careful fighting the True Corrupted Monk in Fountainhead Palace, as she is not an Apparition and Snap Seeds will not damage her like they do in the first fight. She is still pretty weak to Prosthetics though.

That would of handy to know lol. I fought that corrupted monk normally and dint think snap seeds would do anything.. Or didn't even think to use snap seeds should I say

That's actually funny. I couldn't fight the headless ape without his partner getting in my face and being annoying. Like Dante, I yolo'd the brown ape with 5x firecrackers, and I could kill it immediately.

Staring to think I was just lucky and the extra ape wasn't being aggressive

Edited by Lewie B I ReQ

Good! I killed some poor fool in the Abandoned Dungeon who inturn was needed for a side quest but really, f*cks given? Zero..

DDtq3Ij.gif

The thing I absolutely love about Sekiro is none of the sideshow freaks are required for any achievements besides the grandma who gives you the Bell Charm. Anayama the Merchant? Screw him, if you already know about the Prosthetics he tells you about, he's worthless. Dogun the surgeon in the Abandoned Dungeon? An oddity, and probably something straight out of a Stephen King horror, but ultimately inconsequential if you leave him be or kill him. They all give bits and pieces of lore, but nothing gamebreaking happens if you leave them to their own devices and it's great.

That would of handy to know lol. I fought that corrupted monk normally and dint think snap seeds would do anything.. Or didn't even think to use snap seeds should I say.

Staring to think I was just lucky and the extra ape wasn't being aggressive

I fight just about every boss with just my sword to get a feel for them and start using items and Prosthetics if they keep whupping me too badly. It's why I have an abundance of Spirit Emblems (300 or so) and too many consumables. I didn't think to fight her Shade version with Snap seeds either, but it makes sense...

It could honestly be a mix. Sometimes the game's enemies go apeshit on you and sometimes they'll be looking like they've got something stuck up their nose.

Okay, so turns out I need the water fountain area available to get the final mask piece, so screw getting all the scales until later. Beat up Sen'un no problems, got my 9th gourd seed and another 2 or 3 (not sure, but I have 3) prayer beads and wasn't really sure what to do next, so I fooled around with the Demon Bell and ground a level quickly repeating a monk path that gave me Ugo's Sugar (The red damage one) and then thought I'd go give Genichiro a few tries. I've been fooling around with him on and off and just need to force myself to move/dodge under his lightning and I'd be good. So, on my second attempt today, the end result looked like this:

32DQqAL.jpg

It's not letting me multi-quote for some reason :(

@Dirty: I did not stealth blow the True Monk at all, didn't think it was possible lol. I beat it on my second try; only losing on my first try because I jumped off the cliff dodging a sweep. :rolleyes:

@Lewie: The brown ape was not aggressive unless I started attacking the headless one, which was annoying. I also could not get them to separate to save my life. I'd drag one to a corner of the map and then both of them would come at me like a spider monkey.

@Dante: Glad I didn't have to worry about any side quests, either. They are usually easy to mess up. I don't think I completed either of the ones involving the abandoned dungeon guy, or the shopkeep lol

Started NG+. It's very refreshing being able to just run past most things and not worry about scouring every little nook and cranny like on my first playthru.

Okay, so turns out I need the water fountain area available to get the final mask piece, so screw getting all the scales until later. Beat up Sen'un no problems, got my 9th gourd seed and another 2 or 3 (not sure, but I have 3) prayer beads and wasn't really sure what to do next, so I fooled around with the Demon Bell and ground a level quickly repeating a monk path that gave me Ugo's Sugar (The red damage one) and then thought I'd go give Genichiro a few tries. I've been fooling around with him on and off and just need to force myself to move/dodge under his lightning and I'd be good. So, on my second attempt today, the end result looked like this:

Nice job, dude

I haven't actually used the mask at all. I want the completion, and apparently you need a load of exp to get all the skills, so wasting an entire 5 points for one level of attack seems like an awful idea

Do you find that the Demon Bell significantly improves item drop rate? I thought it was supposed to improve exp gain as well, but I tried it out when farming at the end-game spot the other day and on enemies that usually gave like 520 exp they'd only give 530, and had more health that meant i'd have to hit them twice rather than once so I said sod it and got rid of it

Started NG+. It's very refreshing being able to just run past most things and not worry about scouring every little nook and cranny like on my first playthru.

Do you find that the Demon Bell significantly improves item drop rate? I thought it was supposed to improve exp gain as well, but I tried it out when farming at the end-game spot the other day and on enemies that usually gave like 520 exp they'd only give 530, and had more health that meant i'd have to hit them twice rather than once so I said sod it and got rid of it

I was wondering how more difficult NG+ is. Do bosses now one-shot you? (The highest difficulty in Nioh means that)

I never went out to farm materials except for the Mercury item for the 2nd-to-last upgrade tier. Even though I never used the Demon Bell or Mibu Orbs, I was still able to get some of it after perhaps 10 to 20 tries in Ashina Castle. I did, however, have the two latent skills which boost XP and item drop rates from the Senpou skill tree though. Compared to the Conchord and Verterbrae items in DS3 the drop rate seems a lot better in Sekiro.

I was wondering how more difficult NG+ is. Do bosses now one-shot you? (The highest difficulty in Nioh means that)

I never went out to farm materials except for the Mercury item for the 2nd-to-last upgrade tier. Even though I never used the Demon Bell or Mibu Orbs, I was still able to get some of it after perhaps 10 to 20 tries in Ashina Castle. I did, however, have the two latent skills which boost XP and item drop rates from the Senpou skill tree though. Compared to the Conchord and Verterbrae items in DS3 the drop rate seems a lot better in Sekiro.

I dont remember way of the nioh being 1 shot death. I was max Level with +90 gear tho so that may be why. Definitely wasn't 1 hit death tho.

Il have to check that skill out for extra exp sounds useful. I didn't play much of ng+ but it felt like new game to me. It probably would get harder later on tho since I only had 1 hp upgrade left to get

I dont remember way of the nioh being 1 shot death. I was max Level with +90 gear tho so that may be why. Definitely wasn't 1 hit death tho.

Il have to check that skill out for extra exp sounds useful. I didn't play much of ng+ but it felt like new game to me. It probably would get harder later on tho since I only had 1 hp upgrade left to get

Oh sorry sorry my mistake here. That was for extra money, not XP. Sorry again. :(

Off topic: No wonder you didn't get one-shot in Nioh; I didn't head into the Abyss Dungeon so my gear was +4X. Enemies could easily hit 5000 to even 9000 damage on me.

On topic: The Senpou skill tree mainly deals with item drop rates, so yes consider investing some points into it and you can progress + farm materials together. Can save some time in the long run.

Finally defeated the Demon of Hatred after perhaps 10 tries. It is not too hard to get to phase 3, but I had difficulty getting away from his ring of fire attacks. Eventually the whistle gadget saved my life.

With the 5 Headless minibosses dead, I am finally ready to face Sword Saint. Wish me luck.

Edited by ImaginaryRuins

I finally beat Sekiro last night, and got 3/4 endings. Such a good feeling to triumph a game that felt like an insurmountable beast at the beginning. I was going to type up a review on my blog but I lost track of time since it's the first of the month.

One thing I should mention is do not spend any skill points through the dragon mask. I mindlessly put 15 points in to get a +3 to my strength. I figured it would be worth it to have every little bit of edge on the final bosses, but it really didn't feel like I had much of an advantage. Now I'm in NG+ and realizing the sins of my mistakes. If other forum members are correct, skills start going up by 2,000 each when you are nearing the end of your grind. It takes 79,000 or 80,000 (heard both numbers) to buy the final skill point for the achievement, and that's if you put nothing into the mask. Going by those numbers, I will now have to grind an additional 1,440,000 experience to get this trophy. Thats about ~5 hours additional grinding at the fastest spot. Was it worth +3 strength? Absolutely not.

WotN definitely wasn't one-shot with the right gear. I didn't dabble in the end game dungeon too much, and I was able to survive the first few bosses. More often then not I was trying to summon a level 999 god to carry me :D

With the 5 Headless minibosses dead, I am finally ready to face Sword Saint. Wish me luck.

Good luck man, sword saint was easily the hardest boss in the game. There was no two ways about it; it's a straight up endurance fight where one mistake puts you in the ground.

I finally beat Sekiro last night, and got 3/4 endings. Such a good feeling to triumph a game that felt like an insurmountable beast at the beginning. I was going to type up a review on my blog but I lost track of time since it's the first of the month.

One thing I should mention is do not spend any skill points through the dragon mask. I mindlessly put 15 points in to get a +3 to my strength. I figured it would be worth it to have every little bit of edge on the final bosses, but it really didn't feel like I had much of an advantage. Now I'm in NG+ and realizing the sins of my mistakes. If other forum members are correct, skills start going up by 2,000 each when you are nearing the end of your grind. It takes 79,000 or 80,000 (heard both numbers) to buy the final skill point for the achievement, and that's if you put nothing into the mask. Going by those numbers, I will now have to grind an additional 1,440,000 experience to get this trophy. Thats about ~5 hours additional grinding at the fastest spot. Was it worth +3 strength? Absolutely not.

WotN definitely wasn't one-shot with the right gear. I didn't dabble in the end game dungeon too much, and I was able to survive the first few bosses. More often then not I was trying to summon a level 999 god to carry me :D

Good luck man, sword saint was easily the hardest boss in the game. There was no two ways about it; it's a straight up endurance fight where one mistake puts you in the ground.

By time I stopped playing nioh I think I was on 600? Abyss level. Can't remember. Something like that anyway. I was actually making a list on ps trophies as I went along but I stopped playing it and moved onto other games. Had around 800 hours on nioh. Fantastic game. Hope nioh 2 comes to xbox or il have to buy a ps4 back.

Anyway yeah i also made the mistake of spending 15 skill points on attack which felt worthless, I was in ng+ but decided screw it. I know what I'm doing and how to approach stuff il just start a new game and do better. Screw that mask,

It's sorta annoying tho because you can't disable tutorials and the game constantly interrupts you early on telling you what to do

Thought Saint Isshin would be the hardest boss, turns out his Shura ending form is much, much worse. I went in thinking I would take him down quickly and boy was I thwarted. By the time I could consistently get to phase three, I could do phase one and two in my sleep.

Might upload that one, it takes the cake on hardest boss. Good luck to those who need it still. I should be able to sail on through to the final area and get prepared for the long, long grind to get all skills.

Which ending is the hardest to do in terms of boss battles? I'm at that point now where I cant fast travel back to the castle.

Also not sure whether to use save manipulation to get all the endings or to do NG+3, don't mind as long as I can skip some of the mini bosses. It just sounds more fun than grinding for skill points.

Thought Saint Isshin would be the hardest boss, turns out his Shura ending form is much, much worse. I went in thinking I would take him down quickly and boy was I thwarted. By the time I could consistently get to phase three, I could do phase one and two in my sleep.

Might upload that one, it takes the cake on hardest boss. Good luck to those who need it still. I should be able to sail on through to the final area and get prepared for the long, long grind to get all skills.

Shit that's not what I was hoping to hear. I've been planning on doing the purification ending on my current NG+ run (owl 2.0) and the shura ending on NG++

Which ending is the hardest to do in terms of boss battles? I'm at that point now where I cant fast travel back to the castle.

Also not sure whether to use save manipulation to get all the endings or to do NG+3, don't mind as long as I can skip some of the mini bosses. It just sounds more fun than grinding for skill points.

Just mentioned it above, but the Shura ending is much tougher than the other three endings (who have the same bosses).

• Both require you to beat two bosses back to back

• The first boss of the Shura ending is much, harder and is harder to read

• While the Shura ending Isshin only has 2 phases, you cannot attack him you must bait and wait.

• Shura ending Isshin does not have lightning attacks, which are the freest counters once you've practiced timing. Instead he has fire attacks that light you up.

• Shura ending bosses are at the top of the dojo where you fight Genechiro and Owl. In other words, a small ass arena.

You can skip most of the mini-bosses on NG+ and beyond, but some are required. These include the Chained Ogre, Armored Warrior, and O'rin of the Water. You'll also probably want to kill the two mini-bosses in the upper dojo, as the trip through their room is much safer than trying to go around them to fight Genechiro and Owl.

Just mentioned it above, but the Shura ending is much tougher than the other three endings (who have the same bosses).

Ok thanks for the tips! I'll do that one on Ng+ as hard as that sounds lol. Isshin sounds rough. Gonna try and do the secret ending first I think. Will probably screw it up.

O'Rin is not optional? All she drops is a prayer bead, and she doesn't make any fog walls so you can just run past her.

Lol I ran away from her first time because I had low health, she followed me on to the bridge and she fell off in to the water, it gave me XP for killing her but I didn't get a prayer bead. Thankfully she respawned after I rested.

Just finished NG, and is now in NG+.

Mini bosses and the 5 Headless do not drop new or valuable items at all; just money. So getting them all in NG is highly recommended. Then in NG+ and beyond, just skip them as much as possible.

Enemies do yield more XP. So XP farming is suggested in subsequent playthroughs. Besides, it seems we have to do 3 playthroughs because the item for Prothestic Arm final upgrades is limited per playthrough, and that item is not obtainable when going for the Shura ending.

After learning bosses' patterns in NG, they are a lot more manageable in NG+. Beat Lady Butterfly, Gyobu and Genichiro without dying.