SvS 2019 Announcement and Rules

bigbear.

Sitevsstaffbanner3.jpg

Ladies and Gentlemen! Announcing Staff vs. Site 2019! The third installment of the tournament pitting the staff and the site members against each other in a completion competition. Currently each side is tied with one victory. The site smashed the staff in the first installment while the staff got their revenge in the second event.

This installment will be slightly different than the previous tournaments. It will be a completion relay. Meaning that only one member of your team is scoring at any given time. Once he finishes a game and posts it in the scoring thread the next member may start his game. So this event will take a fair amount of communication and coordination.

Also, this will be a two week tournament. The first week of the tournament will be pitting site teams against site teams and staff teams against staff teams. The highest scoring site team from week 1 will represent the site to face the highest scoring staff team in the final round.

THE RULES:

Who can participate?

Anyone who meets these basic requirements:

• Your gamertag must have achievements dated at least one year ago.
  • Your join date on the forum must be no later than May 1st, 2019 (if a subscriber, no limit).
  • You must have at least 20 posts in the forum, including at least one in the last 30 days. (if a subscriber, no limit)
  • Your profile on xbox.com must be set to public.

SIGNUP IS LIVE

Signup Thread

How are the teams decided?

After signups end on June 3rd, the site and staff will be randomly assigned to teams. The number of teams and the size of the teams will be determined by signups and configured to have even numbers as much as possible. Teams and the relay order for each team (also decided randomly) will be announced on June 5th giving the members time to get together and plan before the start.

When does this take place?

The tournament will begin at 12:01am CDT on June 9th.

The first round will end at 11:59pm CDT on June 15th

June 16th will be used to finalize the two winning teams from round 1

The second round will begin at 12:01 CDT on June 17th

The tournament will end at 11:59pm on June 23rd

What are the rules?

Like previous SvS tournaments this is a competition to see which team gets the most completions in a given period. But there will be a few special rules involved.

• This is a relay. Only one member is scoring at a time.
  • Once that member has completed an eligible game and posted in the scoring thread, the next member may start his game. YOU DO NOT NEED TO WAIT FOR THE SCORE TO BE VERIFIED. If it turns out a score is invalid it will be removed from your team’s total at the end.
  • Games must be from one of four genres which will be randomly selected before the round begins.
  • Player order will be determined randomly before the round begins.
  • When posting in the scoring thread simply put your GamerTag and the name of the game completed
  • Each team will be given 2 “passes” each round. If a member is incapable of completing a game in the chosen genres during his leg he can pass to the next player. This will count as a zero for the team. And must be posted in the scoring thread (replace your game with “pass”)
  • In case of team members disappearing there will also be a 24 hour rule. If it has been 24 hours since your last scoring post and the current active member has not scored, does not look to be trying and is not responding to communication attempts you may skip him. Please post an explanation in the scoring thread if this occurs.

Once you complete an eligible game, post in the following thread:

Scoring Thread

Other tournament threads:

Signup Thread

Discussion Thread

Edited by bigbear.

All for new ideas and good luck, but wow does this format ever heavily favor staff with you all being in constant communication through Skype already.

Good luck, everyone, and have fun.

PS, will there be side bets? I would like to bet it all on staff :p

Edited by Floyd.

All for new ideas and good luck, but wow does this format ever heavily favor staff with you all being in constant communication through Skype already.

Sorry Floyd, it was my idea. In my defense though, I submitted the idea before I was staff.

Communication shouldn't be a problem for anyone. During GSL Twist I had a group chat on Live with my teammates and we had no issues communicating real time. That's assuming you're using the Xbox App on your phone and not doing something antiquated like still using your console to send and read messages. :p

Also, don't forget that all the communication in the world doesn't offset having Spanish Assault on your team.

Sorry Floyd, it was my idea. In my defense though, I submitted the idea before I was staff.

Communication shouldn't be a problem for anyone. During GSL Twist I had a group chat on Live with my teammates and we had no issues communicating real time. That's assuming you're using the Xbox App on your phone and not doing something antiquated like still using your console to send and read messages. :p

Also, don't forget that all the communication in the world doesn't offset having Spanish Assault on your team.

Yeah, I don’t foresee it as being too big an advantage. As Necro said, XBL chats can be very effective. Plus, setting up a temporary Skype or Discord group isn’t too difficult.

There were several other things originally planned to also be included in the format but were scrapped at the last minute. Largely because they had a high chance of creating situations where people sign up but then don’t get to participate. But also in part because staff would have benefitted from the rules more than site.

Edited by bigbear.

Will the genres and relay order be the same for both weeks of competition or will they be switched in between rounds?

Also, does all the DLC count towards the completion or is it just base game?

Genres and relay order will be the same for both rounds.

A completion has always been defined on this site as all currently available achievements, so yes DLC count.