Mrtclown's Incoherent Rambles

Mrtclown

Reading through Puppy's blog inspired me to try my hand at my own. Although this wont be as professional looking (more like the scratching of a mad man) I hope it can keep someone busy for a few minutes. Maybe while they are on the toilet or something? Anyways...

Nobody had to worry about our team winning this year. We were never in it to win. Our goal was podium only. I was out of the country for the first 8 days of competition and wasn't able to turn on my Xbox until my third day back. 10 days in I had 185g (Sudoku on my phone) and our team was sitting in 2nd to last with somewhere in the 2k-3k range. I mentioned throwing in the towel then and just saving our easy games for a future competition, but we ended up going for it.

I don't buy games for GSL during the competition. Anytime I see a sub 3 hour game on sale I buy it, install it, and leave it until I need it. I have this thing where I need to have every game I might ever want to play installed and ready. This as you can imagine fills up storage fast. I figured even if we didn't get podium I could at least clean out my hard drives a bit. (Also Im inserting an off-topic mini rant here because why not. With over 800 games installed it is sometimes hard to find the game I want because of the stupid names. For example most Call of Duty games are listed "Call of Duty: Whatever" Then there is "COD: Advanced Warfare". Why?? Another example. Want to Play Oblivion? Look under "Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion". Want to play Skyrim? Look under "Skyrim". Why?? End of rant.)

Getting back on topic is that I have no idea how much I spend on competitions.

I was ready to smash through some gamerscore to try and catch up, and then Overwatch decided to drop their 3 weeks out of the year event that has 24 otherwise unobtainable achievements. As I am trying to eventually complete that game, my attention was stuck there for a solid 4-5 days.

With just a little over a week left in the competition we saw that the 3rd place team had slowed a little. That was all we needed to justify one big push in an attempt to secure third. I did not put of the points I normally would have in a competition like this, so the crap games never actually got to me like they did in previous competitions. Or maybe I'm building up a resistance?

Funny thing. Once the countdown timer went up, both Jimbot and I realized we had mistaken when the competition ended. I thought it ended the same time it started (midnight EST). There was an extra 18 hours I wasn't accounting for and had actually made other commitments thinking the competition would be over. Some "real life friends" of mine have a Rocket League competition a couple times a year. There are usually 8 teams of 3 that play. Teams are changed every year. The competition ended up starting during the final 3 hours of GSL. That combined with Rapture starting to score again had me worried I may have screwed us out of podium.

Huge shout out to my teammate, not only for putting his fair share in during the competition as a whole (on top of keeping up with the ever growing GTASC requirements) but also for keeping us in it during those final few hours. The final score ended up being about 1k difference.

So to rap this up, congratulations to the top teams! Puppy's performance was simply amazing. I feel so awful for Hoebagger and think he should get a huge silver * badge for his teammate leaving him out to dry.

Thanks to everyone who put this on and see you guys in the next competition.

Good read Clown! You guys signing up right away had us seriously worried. Besides, Jimbot saying 'Yeah we're thinking about being casual this year ;)' didn't help. Ruffus and I took that for "We are going hard" lol. I didn't know you were gone the entire first week.

Just like you, I have been buying any easy games on sale, but on the PS4 side. And of course it is even harder because we have stacks of Rata games that can be completed a staggering 6+ times if you buy every copy. Managing three accounts to check for sales, buying Euro and Yen cards, and managing an every growing list of easy games is no easy feat. I keep it all in a spreadsheet though. I could never have that many games installed at once. I usually plan out how many games I was going to play during a given week, and install them all overnight one night. Same went with the 35 games I installed for the final weekend, although I had Destiny installed earlier because it was a massive 102 gbs. But to be fair I could probably get away with that on PS4 because the interface is friendlier. You can just stuff games in custom folders and have only a few games on the dashboard at a given time. I could totally do that with all the space I have with the PS4, but my XB1 only had 450gb of space to play with.