Please remove my guides/walkthroughs

jackanape

I’ve done a lot of unpaid work for this site, as many people have, in terms of mod work, reviews, previews, guides and roadmaps. When my mod access was removed ages ago due to inactivity, I understood it but was annoyed that no one even reached out to me beforehand for any kind of discussion - it just happened and then I got one PM and no further follow up.

However, I was given superficial “front page” access so I could still see and post in four of the older staff boards - mainly where all of my reviews were stored. As I’d often written and saved my drafts directly on the site, and all the editing back and forth was in there, which I found quite helpful and still referenced. So that was fair enough. I had no mod powers as the access literally just let me see/post in those boards.

I still popped into the site now and then but the forums are pretty dead, and in February I saw that we were still waiting for the promised site update so made a post in the staff board to see what was happening (referencing an old thread). No one responded at all and then a day later my minor access had been revoked entirely with no kind of message etc. I reached out to Pants and Webb (who I know quite well) and though Pants was sympathetic he has nothing to do with forum stuff, and had been told by bplayak the day before that he was going to remove me (because I wasn’t active enough - which didn’t seem to apply to a bunch of staff that hadn’t been on the site in weeks/months at that point) and Webb just shut me down out of hand. No one on the community team even bothered messaging with any kind of explanation.

So I decided to move the guides I’d made, including some walkthroughs for three Dark Souls games (which took me hundreds of hours to write and edit) to my personal blog and remove them from the forums. I also asked Pants to remove my guides from the front pages. Which never happened. He did offer to email me any content I couldn’t access too, but that never happened either. This may seem petty, it is, but I tried to talk to people first.

I should also point out that I never even submitted at least two (might be more) of these guides to be published on the front page, they were just “found” on the forums by the guide team and I only got informed they’d been put up after the fact. And the walkthroughs were ONLY on the forums anyway so if I remove them it’s my choice - staff here just sneakily putting them back and locking the threads is theft of my work, simple as.

Now it seems no one noticed they were gone/edited for months until at the end of May a user posted on one guide and asked where it had gone. Blackgravy then took it upon himself to restore every guide I had removed and lock the threads to prevent me editing them. Again no attempt was made to contact me in any way.

End of the day, this site works (or used to) due to volunteers and my guides are not the property of this place to use as they see fit. So putting them back up behind my back is pretty shitty especially after the other passive aggressive nonsense on top. Perhaps the current staff do not like me, which is fine, but please be reasonable and do as I ask. They are older games anyway and clearly no one noticed the loss for months.

Prior to posting this I also sent Blakgravy a message on site - which has been ignored. And Pants another message on Twitter - also ignored. Both have been active on said sites since I sent my messages. So I guess the overall agreed response from staff is just to ignore me, use my content without permission and hope I go away. Which is pretty upsetting.

I’m sure this will get locked or I’ll be called names or whatever, clearly I’ve burnt some bridges or people have burnt them for me, but thanks for reading and if you do respond I hope it’s constructive. Hopefully the big update - which my curiosity about started this whole thing - will emerge soon enough and this site will be awesome again. So best of luck to all.

Edited by jackanape
  • Like 1

Lol - blakgravys immediate response is to go into my old guides (starting with CSI Hard Evidence) and put a disclaimer saying “originally posted by jackanape” and assume that covers what you are doing. While still ignoring me/this post.

Come on man, that is super shitty.

Edit: he has now deleted the messages I posted on his visitor wall asking why he’d put my guides back, and then why he was going back and editing them today. Other super mods and higher will still be able to see the deleted messages if they want to check.

Edited by jackanape
  • Like 1

Oh my goodness. I'm sorry to hear this, jackanape. Years ago it was your Dark Souls 2 walkthrough here which helped me complete the game.

Since I as a humble user don't know the full picture, I choose to not comment on who's right or wrong in this issue in case I fuel the flame wrongly. But I urge both sides to take this opportunity to speak out any misunderstandings, make clarifications and remain calm all the while.

Whilst it seems to me this all stems from a lack of communication, which definitely isn't the best way to do things it does seem to me that your being a little petty over not being a mod anymore.

Also worth mentioning that anything posted on the forum instantly means they can do with it as they please, so you will be hard pressed to get them removed.

I just hope you can all find a way to live and work harmoniously together again.

Whilst it seems to me this all stems from a lack of communication, which definitely isn't the best way to do things it does seem to me that your being a little petty over not being a mod anymore.

Also worth mentioning that anything posted on the forum instantly means they can do with it as they please, so you will be hard pressed to get them removed.

I just hope you can all find a way to live and work harmoniously together again.

I’ve not been a mod for years, so haven’t suddenly decided to be upset by that. What I did take issue with was losing access to where a lot of my review work (again mainly done for free) was stored - with no communication. I asked a bunch of people about it and was ignored. That access gave me zero mod powers at all.

At that point I decided that if the site didn’t want to have any kind of reasonable communication with me then I’d move my voluntarily posted guides elsewhere.

Also, saying anything posted here can be used by the site as they see fit is 100% false. I could not delete my posts, not being a mod, so I edited out the material. Blakgravy then took it upon himself to undo those edits without consulting me.

The walkthroughs in particular are my work, a lot of it, and do not belong to this site - and as they haven’t even attempted the reasonable step of talking to me then I’d rather they were taken down. I don’t find any of my requests unreasonable and wish nothing but the best for the site and people who still use it going forward.

Could anyone check whether there are details concerning rights to achievement guide & roadmap in this site's forum rules? If not then this really needs to be discussed, hopefully openly.

I'm not sure; I know my employment contract for my day job states that any work I do for the company is automatically owned by the company; for example, if I write an article for my boss, then even though I am the author, the copyright goes to the company.

Could anyone check whether there are details concerning rights to achievement guide & roadmap in this site's forum rules? If not then this really needs to be discussed, hopefully openly.

I'm not sure; I know my employment contract for my day job states that any work I do for the company is automatically owned by the company; for example, if I write an article for my boss, then even though I am the author, the copyright goes to the company.

The obvious difference is that you are paid for your work and signed a contract to that effect. My posts here were voluntary and don’t belong to this site in perpetuity. The mods here can edit and delete any post they see fit, I’ve no doubt that’s in the rules. However, I’m literally asking, politely, for them to be removed. So I see no reason not to agree other than the fact the site still wants to profit from my unpaid efforts.

I don’t expect them to be removed sadly, but maybe I’ll be pleasantly surprised. The irony is that I only noticed because I was using the site for achievement help.

Yeah the lack of communication sucks, obviously only see your side of it here but not sure why they wouldn't just message.

As for the terms of the site

By posting your Content using the Services, you are granting an unrestricted, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide, and fully transferable, assignable, and sublicensable right and license to use, copy, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create collective or derivative works from, distribute, perform and display your Content in whole or in part and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed. You further warrant that all so-called moral rights in the content have been waived.

Yeah the lack of communication sucks, obviously only see your side of it here but not sure why they wouldn't just message.

As for the terms of the site

By posting your Content using the Services, you are granting an unrestricted, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide, and fully transferable, assignable, and sublicensable right and license to use, copy, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create collective or derivative works from, distribute, perform and display your Content in whole or in part and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed. You further warrant that all so-called moral rights in the content have been waived.

Well no one is stopping anyone posting the other side of it, as so far three supermods, four mods and an admin have viewed this thread - but haven't yet responded. So it is what it is.

As for the terms you posted they are generic to every forum and I would very much doubt my walkthroughs, for example, could be published by this site in a book of some kind without my agreement.

It's also worth noting that I'm allowed to be responsible for my posts, and I edited them to remove the content over three months ago and they remained that way for the duration. So presumably there is actually no loss to the site for them being absent.

You can argue the legalities forever, as it's a grey area that has never been taken to court. I have no desire to get into legal wranglings, I've simply made a request and it's just a matter of politeness really. I've asked that they be removed and I can't see a valid reason why the site wouldn't do so. I also think it's also fairly clear to see that certain staff members have made every effort to ignore my wishes and erase evidence of my requests so think of that what you will.

The reason I restored your posts is because there is information that is directly referenced in your published guides, most notably the three Dark Souls and Broken Sword 5 walkthroughs. Being the Guide Team Lead, it is my job to make sure that there are no dead links, images or videos in the published guides. You created dead links to those walkthroughs as a result of you deleting those posts. This, in our eyes, is not acceptable.

I did not need to ask permission to do this because according to the Terms of Service, under the heading User content and Message Board Terms of Use, Section 2: Posting, subsection (a), in laymen’s terms, all content posted on site is “property” of xboxachievements.com.

(a) By posting your Content using the Services, you are granting an unrestricted, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, worldwide, and fully transferable, assignable, and sublicensable right and license to use, copy, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create collective or derivative works from, distribute, perform and display your Content in whole or in part and to incorporate it in other works in any form, media, or technology now known or later developed. You further warrant that all so-called moral rights in the content have been waived.

https://www.xboxachievements.com/tos.php

It does not concern me why you did it, but you did a major disservice to the XBA community members by removing your guide-related posts, especially with all the praise you’ve received for those walkthroughs. I did nothing wrong by restoring your posts despite what you've said here. What you did was not great and doesn’t look good on the site. I was just trying to restore something that has actually helped the community, and it is fully within our rights to do so.

If you have an issue with me, talk to me about it. Don’t post a one-sided argument in the Feedback forum or post visitor messages on my profile for everyone to see. Those were highly inappropriate which is why I deleted them. And the reason I didn’t reply to those VMs immediately is because I was discussing the situation with bplayak and the other Super Mods.

The reason I restored your posts is because there is information that is directly referenced in your published guides, most notably the three Dark Souls and Broken Sword 5 walkthroughs. Being the Guide Team Lead, it is my job to make sure that there are no dead links, images or videos in the published guides. You created dead links to those walkthroughs as a result of you deleting those posts. This, in our eyes, is not acceptable.

I did not need to ask permission to do this because according to the Terms of Service, under the heading User content and Message Board Terms of Use, Section 2: Posting, subsection (a), in laymen’s terms, all content posted on site is “property” of xboxachievements.com.

https://www.xboxachievements.com/tos.php

It does not concern me why you did it, but you did a major disservice to the XBA community members by removing your guide-related posts, especially with all the praise you’ve received for those walkthroughs. I did nothing wrong by restoring your posts despite what you've said here. What you did was not great and doesn’t look good on the site. I was just trying to restore something that has actually helped the community, and it is fully within our rights to do so.

If you have an issue with me, talk to me about it. Don’t post a one-sided argument in the Feedback forum or post visitor messages on my profile for everyone to see. Those were highly inappropriate which is why I deleted them. And the reason I didn’t reply to those VMs immediately is because I was discussing the situation with bplayak and the other Super Mods.

So remove the front page guides as well. I asked for that to happen in February. Or if you aren’t prepared to do that then simply remove the links from those guides. The guides are complete without my walkthroughs - simple as that. I never even gave permission for the last two Souls guides to go on the front page - the guide team just put them up on their own. Also your argument makes no sense for the other guides, which aren’t linked to the front page at all.

You can hide behind the Terms of Service if you want, I have made a simple request and you can choose to either honour it or double down (which is obviously the route you’ve chosen). My posts were made to serve the community, not you, and if I chose to remove them then that is also my right. You may not need permission but what happened to just being polite?

You didn’t even notice they were gone for over three months, so it seems the harm to the site/community was minimal. What doesn’t look good on the site is the super mods and admins using people’s content without their permission. Then having a behind the scenes discussion about how to close down the conversation.

Also your last paragraph makes no sense. I DID reach out to you via VM before posting this and you ignored it. Just as Pants ignored my message to him. You had plenty of time to respond. So then I made this post and, again rather than responding, you made a whistle stop your of all my guides you’d replaced to make sure they were edited/locked down.

My VM wasn’t inappropriate at all - it asked why you’d put the posts back. You removing them makes it look like you have something to hide as they were totally innocuous. The only inappropriate thing is it made you look bad. Communication is a two way street, so at what point after you knew my guides were down did you reach out to me?

As most of the other staff have read this post I’d also be interested to know their thoughts.

TL DR - please take them down. Also if any senior staff want to discuss this amicably then hit up my PMs. Thanks.

Edited by jackanape
  • Like 1

As most of the other staff have read this post I’d also be interested to know their thoughts.

So, this is usually where I come in and white knight the site, right?

Not today.

Our communication could and should be improved. I know I've pushed for this since I've been here to no avail and in all honesty, find it frustrating to have to continually deal with year after year.

Having said that, what you're saying to bLaKgRaVy in this thread is rather unfair as he is the one who communicates the most amongst staff and works hardest on these forums. I can absolutely assure you that without him, a lot of things around here would go unnoticed.

I understand this honest and transparent post may land me in hot water but as anyone knows me, knows I speak my mind and this is how I feel and have for a very long time now.

To be clear, I'm not taking sides in this matter and have no intention to offend. I'm simply giving my two-cents as I'm not one to sit on my hands for long. I apologise for where you feel you've been ignored by staff in the past and I hope we can work through this but the decision is not up to me.

Hope all is well, lad.

So, this is usually where I come in and white knight the site, right?

Not today.

Our communication could and should be improved. I know I've pushed for this since I've been here to no avail and in all honesty, find it frustrating to have to continually deal with year after year.

Having said that, what you're saying to bLaKgRaVy in this thread is rather unfair as he is the one who communicates the most amongst staff and works hardest on these forums. I can absolutely assure you that without him, a lot of things around here would go unnoticed.

I understand this honest and transparent post may land me in hot water but as anyone knows me, knows I speak my mind and this is how I feel and have for a very long time now.

To be clear, I'm not taking sides in this matter and have no intention to offend. I'm simply giving my two-cents as I'm not one to sit on my hands for long. I apologise for where you feel you've been ignored by staff in the past and I hope we can work through this but the decision is not up to me.

Hope all is well, lad.

Melting in the UK heat (I’m sure it’s probably mild compared to you) but all good thanks.

I have no real malice towards Blakgravy as my only interaction has been this chain of events, and his only attempt to communicate with me his been his post here. No one spoke to me when they axed my access in Feb. I said I was going to remove my guides and wanted them off the front page - no response. I asked for copies of my draft work - no response. I’m now getting told off for not speaking to staff AND for sending a VM asking why my stuff was back up. How do I win? So when he deleted my messages and then spent time checking/editing the guides I removed rather than responding - that rubbed me up the wrong way, but maybe I’m reading too much into it.

His response here is probably done by committee, so I have no idea really what everyone’s thoughts are.

I appreciate your candor but communication here has been appalling and it seems the staff stance is now to say that they own all volunteers work forever and won’t remove it even with a reasonable request. That bums me out and if I thought that my Souls walkthroughs, which took me weeks of work, would be snatched from me by the site on some TOS ambiguity then I simply wouldn’t have posted them.

I appreciate you commenting though, cheers.

Edited by jackanape

Since you want to know what other staff think, I'll tell you my opinion. Keep in mind this is coming from someone who doesn't know much beyond what you wrote here.

You're unfortunately the victim of horrible communication, which I think I can speak for many on staff when I say it's something we've gotten used to. The way you were removed from staff, and your rights and stuff, sounds shitty. But again, I only know the little you've written here. I don't know what happened behind the scenes to decide to remove you and your access. It does sound like you were owed some real communication, especially after how much you've done for the site and community here.

As far as your guides though, I was on staff when it was discovered that you had removed your guides, and I was a strong proponent to reinstate them. From what I can tell based on what you've explained above, it sounds like you got upset by the way you were removed from staff, the lack of communication, and possibly the lack of a long-overdue site update. You then apparently decided to take it out on the achievement community by removing your guides from the site. I specifically say achievement community here and not XBA community for a reason. You claim no one noticed you removed them for a few months, but you're assuming that the very first person who noticed it immediately notified staff. I'm willing to bet the majority of people use the published guide, as that's what will come up when you Google search for the achievement guide. Others likely noticed the taken down guides and just didn't think to message staff about it. I say all this because, by removing your guides, you're taking your anger and frustration with a couple higher-ups out on the entire achievement community to what? Make some sort of a statement? It looks very petty and immature to do something like that. If you had/have a legitimate reason for not wanting your guides on this site, you should contact the guide team (Pants and Webb have nothing to do with the published guides and such) to inquire about having them removed. As it stands right now, it looks an awful lot like "I'm mad at Pants and Webb and bplayak, so I'm taking my guides down and leaving" which, like you even admitted yourself, comes across as very petty.

Claiming we took your guides from you is a wild exaggeration. It's not like we aren't letting you copy them to your blog and use them there. I'm not sure what you even need from us to copy them over, but I would definitely have worked with you. If you want them on your site, that's not a problem. You got screwed by shitty communication though. And now you're taking it out on the wrong people: the community, by removing your guides, and all of the site and uninvolved staff, by calling us all out in one thread.

On behalf of the people who screwed you over and/or ignored you, I am sorry you had to deal with that. But I still think removing your guides is a petty move that isn't even targeting the people you're upset with, and I stand by keeping them available here.

So remove the front page guides as well. I asked for that to happen in February. Or if you aren’t prepared to do that then simply remove the links from those guides. The guides are complete without my walkthroughs - simple as that. I never even gave permission for the last two Souls guides to go on the front page - the guide team just put them up on their own. Also your argument makes no sense for the other guides, which aren’t linked to the front page at all.

If you had contacted the correct people then probably all of this could have been avoided. Pants, even though he's an admin, has no authority to take down guides without discussing it with bplayak and the guide team. If he had thought to discuss your message with us, or if you had contacted us directly, we would have done something then.

You can hide behind the Terms of Service if you want, I have made a simple request and you can choose to either honour it or double down (which is obviously the route you’ve chosen). My posts were made to serve the community, not you, and if I chose to remove them then that is also my right. You may not need permission but what happened to just being polite?

And that's exactly why I restored them, because they served the community. I never said they served me. What I did was for 100% the site, plain and simple. Whatever issues you have with Webb and Rx about the site not being updated is between you and them. We're all frustrated about the update, but that doesn't change the fact that all the guides and walkthroughs posted past, present and future are helpful to everyone. The fact that you took down your content and that you have been praised for it is a detriment to the community and the site and one of the underlying reasons why the community is dwindling. If you want to help them community, why take your content down in the first place?

You didn’t even notice they were gone for over three months, so it seems the harm to the site/community was minimal. What doesn’t look good on the site is the super mods and admins using people’s content without their permission. Then having a behind the scenes discussion about how to close down the conversation.

It doesn't matter when I noticed. It could have been a year and a half later. We are well within our rights to regulate any content posted on the forums. And what closing down the conversation? We're discussing it now, aren't we?

Also your last paragraph makes no sense. I DID reach out to you via VM before posting this and you ignored it. Just as Pants ignored my message to him. You had plenty of time to respond. So then I made this post and, again rather than responding, you made a whistle stop your of all my guides you’d replaced to make sure they were edited/locked down.

First of all, I do not answer to Pants nor do I care what he does on site. His decision to "ignore" your message to him was 100% his choice.

And let's get this straight, I did not ignore your VMs. My reply to them was posted above. I'm sorry, was I meant to reply immediately? I didn't even see your first VM until 8+ hours after it was posted, and by then it was already 1am my time. I was first attempting to salvage your content while senior staff was discussing it if for some reason your posts were permanently deleted. I wasn't trying to be underhanded or sneaky in what I was doing despite what you think.

I reply when I reply. I don't hover over a keyboard waiting and I didn't realize there was a statute of limitations on replying to a post. I was actually going to PM you my reply since I didn't feel the subject should have been played out through VM, but it was recommended that I post it to this forum. And it was inappropriate for posting something like that for the public to see. But I guess that doesn't matter now since you felt the need to create a thread about it and post on Twitter to air all your grievances about the site and staff in a public forum. Classy.

My VM wasn’t inappropriate at all - it asked why you’d put the posts back. You removing them makes it look like you have something to hide as they were totally innocuous. The only inappropriate thing is it made you look bad. Communication is a two way street, so at what point after you knew my guides were down did you reach out to me?

TL DR - please take them down. Also if any senior staff want to discuss this amicably then hit up my PMs. Thanks.

The VM content was accusatory, defensive and argumentative. Should I have contacted you before restoring your posts? Yes, I see that now. Was I pissed that all your content was removed without first letting us know? Yes, which is probably the reason why I didn't contact you. Should you have let the appropriate staff know your intentions? Definitely. Your mistake was contacting Pants about it. Communication is key and a two-way street. I agree with that. And yes if communication had been better in this instance, we wouldn't be bickering about it here.

I appreciate all of your responses.

I’ve spoken to Webb and he has agreed to delete all my guides on the forums and front pages (not sure who is handling each). So I’m glad a reasonable conclusion could be reached.

Just one addition - I’ve seen a couple of people saying I’m mad at the lack of updates, individual staff etc, but that is not the case as like most of you I just considered it a running issue. It had no influence on me. Nor have I used this thread to air all my supposed grievances - I’ve talked about this one issue and the events that led to it. (Also, necro I think I must have misspoke as I don’t need help moving the guides anywhere - sorry that was unclear).

I wanted my guides removed purely because of the dire communication and fact any questions or criticisms were ignored. I felt unfairly targeted. Maybe I was wrong but this thread and official response is not really persuading me otherwise. If the site staff don’t support users then why should I support the site? It’s easy to take the moral high ground of helping “the community” while insulting me. Frankly even after my first post I’d have been prepared to reconsider but the subsequent posts have put paid to that. As I said it IS petty - but so is the official response.

I will say that maybe I shouldn’t have reached out to Webb and Pants, but they are the two people I know best on the site and as I said communication from elsewhere has been lacking. Would my guides have been removed if I messaged the right person? We’ll never know. So I hold my hands up to that.

So thanks for those that responded etc and I guess this is resolved. I have no hard feelings for anyone here and hope the upcoming update goes well.

• Like 1

It does not concern me why you did it, but you did a major disservice to the XBA community members by removing your guide-related posts, especially with all the praise you’ve received for those walkthroughs.

This is what I wanted to say.

Regardless of who is right, wrong or what miscommunication happened...

I have to assume you made the guides to help people. Not for attention, mod status or because you were friends with someone here.

Removing them hurts gamers like me and people who love help from people.

I've only written like 40 guides, but I'd never have them removed... even though I'm super disappointed with how this site has gone downhill.

If 1 person is helped by something I wrote, that's a win... regardless of how long it's taken for this site to get back on track (if it ever will).

I've got close to 300 old Xbox 360 games in my backlog I've never played and I just threw in Tiger Woods 2008 so I have some old as dirt games to get to. I'm 100% positive I'll be looking at old guides and walkthroughs as I play them... so it'd suck to have any removed, that I could use as I play.

Think of us regular folks man

Edited by Y2Kasper10

jackanape,

I just wanted to stop in and say that I'm hurt by this. Back in 2014, I got Dark Souls II at midnight, and had the entire week off. While playing through the game, I wrote down a ton of information for an achievement guide of sorts once I finished the game. I spent 12-14 hours of my personal time doing this because I enjoy helping others. I wrote down boss strategies, item locations, and took pictures for the guide. However, as you might vaguely remember, I was overshadowed by a guy who had a review copy of the game. He wrote a thread so great, I had zero hope of surpassing the knowledge and helpful insight presented by him. I congratulated him on a job well-done and henceforth deleted my Word document with all that time wasted because you had created such a masterpiece. Now you've gone straight to the admins of the site to have them removed. You are upset that you feel like your time was wasted and that it doesn't belong here anymore. What about my time wasted? I brushed it off by telling myself what a great guide you wrote, but this thread just stabbed a knife right through a six year old wound.

It is clear you have some personal reasons for removing the guides, and that is okay. But after lurking this thread, I can't help but feel like you have a personal vendetta against the site as a whole. All it is going to do is hurt the average gamer who comes here looking for a guide. Frankly, I could never imagine writing a guide as good as the one you did from Dark Souls II, nor am I going to try and replicate it six years later...A real shame to lose such valuable information from you. If your other guides are even half as good as the Dark Souls II one, the common XBA guest is going to be really missing out from here on out. I have no prejudice or favorites among achievement and trophy websites. If I had my way, I would post my same guides to XBA, TA, PST.org, and PSNProfiles.com for everyone to see. I write guides to help others, no matter who they are. If even one person looks at my achievement/trophy guide and gets insight on something they were stuck on, I feel like my time was worth it.

I don't form opinions about things that are out of my control, and I only recently joined the staff so I also have no say in the lack of communication involved with your staff removal. However I felt the need to come here and voice my opinion, whether it is what you want to hear or not.

I remember when I first picked up Dark Souls 2 on the PS4 and had no idea what to expect from a Dark Souls game. I found the guide posted here and it was a big help that got me the plat. So a few months ago when I decided to play through the game again on Xbox I was surprised to see the guide had been deleted.

I now see why you did it and it is what it is but it was a shame to see the guide removed.

There is a saying that once something is posted on the internet it can never truly be deleted which is why I loaded up a cached version through webarchive;)

It was always great fun to be involved with tournaments and site activities with you over the years and I have nothing against you but like others have said, it's a shame that the majority suffer because of a disagreement with the few.

I’ve been on the site for a while and rarely had any interactions with you (I think) so I don’t really have any issues with you.

That being said this is just sad. I understand that communication can be lacking but I think it’s immature and petty for you to basically attack those who had nothing to do with your demotion and the lack of communication you’re so offended by. I guess you can sleep better knowing that you took away content from the community. That will show them, right?

Not that you care since you got what you wanted.

Good luck with your blog.

I reached out to Pants and Webb (who I know quite well) and though Pants was sympathetic he has nothing to do with forum stuff, and had been told by bplayak the day before that he was going to remove me (because I wasn’t active enough - which didn’t seem to apply to a bunch of staff that hadn’t been on the site in weeks/months at that point) and Webb just shut me down out of hand. No one on the community team even bothered messaging with any kind of explanation.

I also asked Pants to remove my guides from the front pages. Which never happened. He did offer to email me any content I couldn’t access too, but that never happened either. This may seem petty, it is, but I tried to talk to people first.

I don't have a full grasp of the time frame and I'm sure he doesn't need my defense, but Pants is a pretty busy dude. You might want to cut him some slack.

Either way, you always seemed like a fairly reasonable and cool guy in our interactions. Best wishes and hope things go well for you.

I have to assume you made the guides to help people. Not for attention, mod status or because you were friends with someone here.

Removing them hurts gamers like me and people who love help from people.

I've only written like 40 guides, but I'd never have them removed... even though I'm super disappointed with how this site has gone downhill.

If 1 person is helped by something I wrote, that's a win... regardless of how long it's taken for this site to get back on track (if it ever will).

This is also the reason I wrote achievement guides here, because I loved the games and I wanted to help other users.

The thought of taking away my guides never crosses my mind, but I think I understand the feelings of the OP, even though I am not sure whether removing the walkthroughs as a form of protest is the most appropriate action.

From what I have seen, both sides have good reasons and at the same time there is room for improvement for them as well. I find it regrettable that things turn out to be like this.

Edited by ImaginaryRuins

I feel I have to clarify some points because, as expected, I'm being vilified as the bad guy. I won't quote peoples post as that would just create a wall of text (he says - then writing a wall of text).

First of all this claim that I damaged the community or site when I took down my guides in February. The guides were NEVER removed from the front page. So the full achievement guides for every game I'd ever done were still available for every site user. At worst a link to the walkthrough didn't work on four of them and that could have been remedied by simply deleting the link and then the guides would be fine.

The copies on the forums were what I removed and I also removed the walkthroughs for the Souls games and Broken Sword 5 - but you could 100% complete all of these games just with my achievement guides, I'd only written the walkthroughs all as a pet project due to my love for each game so they weren't required at all.

Now I did ask Pants (wrong person to ask I know) if he would remove the front page guides as well at the time - but he never responded and I just thought "fuck it" and left them up as the front page is probably more useful to the general user than the forums. I never chased their removal and was happy for them to stay there. The only reason I'm now asking for them to be removed from both areas is because of subsequent events which I've already detailed.

An overall response to everyone because the common theme seems to be "some staff have treated you badly, but..." and there is a lot of emphasis being placed on that BUT right there. At what point am I allowed to do something? Should I just ignore the behaviour of senior staff and let the site as a whole keep benefiting from my work? Because the consensus here seems to be that no matter what staff do/have done then I should just turn the other cheek so that the "community" can still access my work. If I move my guides from this site they can still be found on the internet, just not on this site and really what other power do I have in this situation?

Blakgravys first response says it all "It does not concern me why you did it" - he doesn't care, he didn't reach out, neither did any staff when my access was removed in Feb - but they had time to tell each other what was happening (because bplayak told Pants and presumably other senior staff what he was doing but not me). Literally my only request was to have access to four old boards that are no longer really used, because a lot of my work was stored there. That access gave me zero mod powers in any way and would have been invisible to anyone else on site.

We can argue the rights and wrongs all day for both sides, but I have no power here. My only currency is my work and if the site wants to cut ties with me then I'm perplexed why I should happily leave all my work here for their benefit. As I say, they were down for three months before a member noticed and posted a comment - maybe more people noticed and didn't say anything - but I don't think I've done massive harm to the site as the footfall on the forums is tiny now which we can all agree is a massive shame from the sites heyday.

Puppys: I'm sorry you wasted a lot of time on your guide, it sucks when that happens (and it's happened to me before) but obviously I could have never known about the amount of work you put in.

I have no vendetta against the site at all. If anything it's the opposite and long term members will vouch for the amount of times I've gone to bat for this place, especially when TA were being absolute shits for a long period of time. Pretty much everything I've ever posted or written has been purely for the benefit of this place and I've taken unpaid leave from work to attend events to support the site countless times, at no other benefit to myself. Claiming I have a vendetta against a place that I have poured hours of my personal time into is wide of the mark.

I also never went straight to the admins. I first sent a message to Blakgravy and Pants, then I posted this thread. Then I got the aggressive response here so then I went to the sites owner. I never wanted to bother him at all.

Deg: I'm glad my guide helped you back in the day and I have great memories of most of my time on this site. I was never a big tournament contestant but when I did enter I always tried to go all out - especially in the completion event. Good times.

Spanish: I believe we butted heads when you first joined, but since then I'd like to think we've always gotten on. I'm not really attacking anyone, I tried to reach out to people privately and got nowhere so hence this thread. Did I want this to be the end result? No. As I said, I was happy to leave my front page guides up but now here we are. My only reason for mentioning other staff at all here is to get their feedback, as that's the only way anything gets resolved in the end.

As for saying "not that you care" and "I guess you can sleep better" - c'mon now, that's just sheer hyperbole and beneath you. I quite obviously care a lot about this site or I wouldn't have spent so much time here. Like I say, the community here isn't what it was so isn't going to be crushed by the lack of these guides.

As for getting what I wanted - I don't think anyone here has got what they wanted and the whole situation is a shame. (Oh, I'm also not blogging - I just moved the guides there so I'd have a record of my work. Keeping up a regular blog is hard work yo).

teppy: Pants is a cool dude, and the person I was probably closest to on this site as we shared a fairly similar outlook. I've played games with him, loaned him PAL RPG's, and still chatted with him on his blog here and on twitter. If anything he was the main reason I kept coming back.

I know he's busy, he is probably the hardest working guy here, but when I messaged him back in Feb and he told me why my access had been removed we had an amicable conversation about me taking down my guides (again he disagreed with that) and him sending me any content I wanted. But suddenly he stopped responding. I can only assume one of two things:

That he disagreed with my approach and decided on his own to just ignore me or that he'd discussed it with other staff and they had told him not to help me or respond.

Knowing Pants I'd lean towards the latter explanation but who knows. I don't doubt for a second though that other senior staff here (not all staff - just to clarify) were informed about what we discussed, as that would just be common sense. I will say he supported my access being removed, which is fine, but was prepared to help me get the stuff I'd lost access to. Until suddenly he wasn't. So I dunno. All staff by now have seen this thread so he is free to respond either here or via PM.

Again, maybe expecting Pants to deal with this was a mistake on my part - fully agree. So I feel bad, and said so in my messages to him, about putting any and all of this on him and offered to take it to other staff if he wasn't comfortable. I attach no blame to him and don't feel comfortable mentioning him as I'm sure he did his best.

Imaginary: I've always written guides both for the pleasure of writing them, especially the walkthroughs, and to help other people enjoy games I've loved playing (except Pure Football - that game was a piece of shit and writing the guide for that felt like slapping a warning sign on it). Removing the guides feels like a last resort really as I have no other avenues other than just walking away and leaving my work behind - which doesn't feel right to me.

Hope that explains some points. I understand if people are angry and/or frustrated - me too. This is not a situation I ever thought would come about either and it's pretty much the worst result all around. So sorry for bumming you all out and any potential harm to the community but the site stance is pretty clear so I don't feel in a position to back down either.

Have a great weekend all.

Jack, we never spoke much over the years (aside from random chats on TA threads and stuff), but I'm sad to see this is how your tenure at XBA has ended. You devoted a lot of time to the site and helped a lot of people and this is just a sour tasting thread.

I didn't want to put my input in on this thread so I won't. However, I do recommend we all move on, as jack has gotten what he came for and everyone involved who cared to explain themselves has done so. Let's not let it devolve into anything regrettable.

Jack deserves no more vitriol for his decision and the staff have clearly been made well aware.