[Problem] Noise coming from Xbox One S when it's off

drthomys

Hey,

I'm new to these boards and hope that this is the right subforum to post this.

I noticed today that my barely used Xbox One S makes a buzzing, electrical noise when it is completely shut off. It is not very loud, but if you get close to the console, there is no denying it. I own quite a few consoles and have never noticed one ever behaving like this. Because of this I am a bit worried. 

I've googled the issue and this seems to be a problem - or to have less negative connotations: stituation - that has been discussed quite a bit over the last few years. Usually in those threads there is someone who says that the console needs to activate the power saving mode, but often the sounds coming from the console persist anyway. For me, this is the case as well. I have also tried the Full Shutdown option, still the sound never fully stops. 

Ultimately, I think I'd be able to disregard these sounds, but for that to happen I would have to know that this is just normal - for whatever reason. Maybe someone has insight into this. In the threads I've encountered, there seems to be two camps; one claiming that the noises coming from the console when it's shut off are normal, others pushing people to replace their console because it's apparently broken. Noone seems to deny that these sounds appear commonly - even if they aren't supposed to.

Are these sounds "normal"? Should I be worried? Have you experienced this yourself?

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time. 

• 2 months later...

Pretty sure it's fairly normal. I've heard mine making noise from time to time and have had the same console (an x1x) for over 2 years now. I'm pretty sure my launch x1 did the same. I wouldn't worry too much about it unless it gets louder or the console starts acting weird.