How to Write a Guide and Roadmap - Tutorial Videos

Necrophage33

Hey, everyone. Writing that first guide (or even second, third, or fourth) can be an intimidating task. Knowing when to start, how to get started, what to write, how much to write, and so on, can often feel overwhelming. In an effort to help first-time writers get started on their first guides and roadmaps, I have put together some tutorial videos showing me working my way through the process of writing a guide and roadmap, all the way from the start of getting the guide template through to the end of submitting the guide for publication.

I apologize for the length of the middle two videos, but there is a lot of information to convey to new writers. Experienced writers may not need to watch those two videos, but you still might learn something from the final video. Hopefully these help.

If you have any questions about the videos or guide writing in general, or would like some additional guidance on writing your guide, please don't hesitate to reach out to me (or anyone else on the Guide Team). Enjoy!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfcskvCT60c]Getting Started[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uh1Eq9l6bNQ]Writing a Roadmap[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgT7Nz2uFY4]Writing a Guide[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cni-76gceDI]Finalizing and Submitting[/ame]

Hey Necrophage, great idea on the videos. I gave them a listen in case there was anything I could learn, or add myself since I have done about 25-30 unique achievement/trophy guides. Just wanted to add in my notes in order to help others.

W̶h̶e̶n̶ ̶c̶r̶e̶a̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶g̶u̶i̶d̶e̶,̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶e̶r̶v̶e̶d̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶s̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶g̶e̶t̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶r̶e̶s̶e̶r̶v̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶s̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶e̶n̶t̶:̶ ̶A̶ ̶s̶t̶a̶f̶f̶ ̶m̶e̶m̶b̶e̶r̶ ̶c̶a̶n̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶p̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶g̶u̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶i̶s̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶o̶n̶l̶y̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶n̶e̶c̶e̶s̶s̶a̶r̶y̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶s̶o̶m̶e̶o̶n̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶e̶d̶ ̶a̶ ̶c̶o̶m̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶i̶n̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶f̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶w̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶f̶i̶n̶i̶s̶h̶e̶d̶,̶ ̶o̶r̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶ ̶n̶e̶e̶d̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶o̶ ̶g̶o̶ ̶b̶a̶c̶k̶ ̶a̶f̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶f̶a̶c̶t̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶a̶d̶d̶ ̶m̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶n̶t̶e̶n̶t̶.̶ ̶T̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶w̶a̶y̶ ̶y̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶g̶u̶i̶d̶e̶ ̶p̶o̶s̶t̶s̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶a̶l̶l̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶e̶a̶d̶.̶

- Touched upon in the 4th vid.

It may not seem like it, but the estimated achievement difficulty and time to complete tips are really important. Personally, I always look at the achievement difficulty for ANY game I plan on playing, because over the years I've found that I just do not enjoy hard games anymore. If you voted a 3/10 because you are a FPS master but the game could give an average gamer trouble, they may be upset that the game is harder than you let on. I've been taking this advice into account lately because I didn't even realize how hard some of the newer NASCAR games have become until someone pointed out that it was harder than I indicated in my guide. Same for estimated time, I plan games around how long they will take, and it is really annoying when someone speed runs a game and says it take 5 hours when it really takes 20+. Great tips.

I like the addition of your roadmap examples. There is definitely a big difference between a guide for a small indie game like Port Royal and a massive game like AC Odyssey. I wouldn't say that a wall of text is a bad thing for a massive game. For me personally, I look to see if there are any missable achievements if I only plan on playing the recommended amount of playthroughs. Then, once I familiarize myself with the game, I'll read the roadmap in more detail. I do agree that a wall of text in the roadmap is very unneccesary for a short game though. A one hour game should play itself for the most part.

I didn't know the forum guide could be in any order. That is an extremely helpful tip I will keep in mind moving forward. Just an FYI though, for those who write guides on both XBA and PST: You cannot do this on PST.org, they want forum guides in the same order as the trophy list.

"The last thing you want is someone to come to your guide, see that you said a walkthrough is not needed because you won't get stuck, and you get stuck." Absolutely. The last thing I want to do is go hunting for another guide because you said it would be easy and I got stuck. Happens a lot and usually I am already frustrated, so the more information, the better. On the contrary, your viewers might get stuck on things you didn't even take into account, so you can't always be perfect. If a user comments additional information on your guide that helped them get unstuck, don't take it personally. I try to do this often so others do not get stuck in the same way I did, and it may be helpful to add to your guide.

Another small thing worth mentioning about embedded videos. Not sure if it is the official rule, but you want to limit the amount of embedded videos in your forum guide to prevent the guide from loading super slow. I've always used over/under five. If I have five videos or less, I'll embed them all, if I have more than five videos I will link them all instead. Like I said not sure if that is an official guide writing rule, but I think I was told that years ago and have been following it ever since.

I hope this encourages more people to write guides! Even if you do not see a lot of comments on guides published on this site, I promise you they are helping people. A lot of non-members view our guides and do not take the time to post.

Thanks, Pups! You can always be counted on for a very thorough review and detailed feedback. I really appreciate it.

I think you're the first person to watch these videos through. Hopefully others get some use out of them. I still remember trying to get started with my first guide. It was really overwhelming and I didn't even know how to start. Hopefully these videos help take the edge off a bit.

• bLaKgRaVy changed the title to How to Write a Guide and Roadmap - Tutorial Videos
  • bLaKgRaVy locked this topic
  • bLaKgRaVy unpinned this topic