Writer Royale 2021 Contest [Discussion]

bLaKgRaVy

spacer.png

This thread is for discussing the competition. You can discuss anything you like, but please keep it friendly.

Announcement Thread

Rules Thread

Guide Tracking Thread

Author Tracking Thread

Countdown to Start of Contest (Friday, October 1, 2021 at 9pm ET)

Countdown to End of Contest (Thursday, December 30, 2021 at 9pm ET)

Edited by bLaKgRaVy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Caramel Cardinal said:

And I've submitted a guide, granted its been 90% wrote for a couple of months now but finally got it over the line.

Think we could do with a main page Story on this comp now people logging in to check auto tracking, may get some more interest

Yep, we saw it. Thanks! We'll review it this week.  :)

Unfortunately, any forum activity won't be reported on the front page anymore. Before the update, there was a section on the right side of the screen called "Community News" or something where Pants did post forum activity such contests, competitions, and monthly Achievement Unlocked, but sadly it's gone. It was really the only space on the front page where the forum had a voice. We've tried to get Webb and the others to allow forum articles, but haven't been successful. There's still the Announcement forum, though. Sucks.  :(

4 hours ago, bLaKgRaVy said:

Yep, we saw it. Thanks! We'll review it this week.  :)

Unfortunately, any forum activity won't be reported on the front page anymore. Before the update, there was a section on the right side of the screen called "Community News" or something where Pants did post forum activity such contests, competitions, and monthly Achievement Unlocked, but sadly it's gone. It was really the only space on the front page where the forum had a voice. We've tried to get Webb and the others to allow forum articles, but haven't been successful. There's still the Announcement forum, though. Sucks.  :(

Not sure how they expect to get any forum exposure if they get rid of it from the homepage of the site. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Edword said:

Not sure how they expect to get any forum exposure if they get rid of it from the homepage of the site. 

The forums don't make nearly as much money as the front page. They really only generate money from subscribers, and while we have seen an increase in subscribers since it was reintroduced last month, who really knows how much it contributes to the site overall. I would hope a lot and we really do appreciate everyone who subscribes. With the introduction of automatic tracking and the site taking an slight upturn, hopefully we'll start to see more forum community contributing and making a difference. Then maybe the front page will take notice. Until then, unfortunately we're on our own.

• Sad 1

21 hours ago, Caramel Cardinal said:

And I've submitted a guide, granted its been 90% wrote for a couple of months now but finally got it over the line.

Think we could do with a main page Story on this comp now people logging in to check auto tracking, may get some more interest

15 hours ago, Edword said:

Completely agree we should have front page visibility on tournaments and various things. I asked Rx about it and volunteered to write the articles/announcements myself if need be. Hopefully I can convince the higher-ups to approve it. 

20 minutes ago, Necrophage33 said:

Completely agree we should have front page visibility on tournaments and various things. I asked Rx about it and volunteered to write the articles/announcements myself if need be. Hopefully I can convince the higher-ups to approve it. 

Surly if you write the article could just get Webb to post it, you wouldn't even need access to post yourself lol

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Caramel Cardinal said:

I See @Webbgetting involved with submitting horizon 5 guide, nice it's up so quick and be good if could get more from him what with his early access previews, think he needs to learn how to link achievements etc though in the guide lol

Yeah, Webb hasn’t written an XBA guide in like 10 years, so we’ll be editing that guide to make sure it’s up to snuff. :p  

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Caramel Cardinal said:

I See @Webbgetting involved with submitting horizon 5 guide, nice it's up so quick and be good if could get more from him what with his early access previews, think he needs to learn how to link achievements etc though in the guide lol

Perks of being the owner, I guess! I only glanced over it but I see he left quite a bit of work for me 🙄

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Caramel Cardinal said:

Lol

Well good news is after 2 years my Age of Empires II guide is finally complete and submitted, just a shame they've released 2 more expansions in that time so my work still isn't done 😭😭

Just opened it now to review. Holy crap - 138 achievements and that doesn't include all of the expansions??

21 hours ago, Necrophage33 said:

Perks of being the owner, I guess! I only glanced over it but I see he left quite a bit of work for me 🙄

Haha! Apologies! Was just focussed on getting it up for ASAP so people could use it if they got early access over the weekend 🙈

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Caramel Cardinal said:

Lol

Well good news is after 2 years my Age of Empires II guide is finally complete and submitted, just a shame they've released 2 more expansions in that time so my work still isn't done 😭😭

Thanks for this! I can now cross it off my list.  ;)

If you ever decide to write the two paid DLCs, you can write them in the game's forum like the base/TU guide (in separate threads). If you need assistance copying and formatting the DLC achievement lists (since there aren't any templates), let me know. Also, instead of copy/pasting them into the guide loader (add-guide), submit them the old-fashioned way by copying them to the Submit forum. We're still having issues with DLC in the guide loader, so doing it the old way is preferred. :)

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Webb said:

Haha! Apologies! Was just focussed on getting it up for ASAP so people could use it if they got early access over the weekend 🙈

No problem, just a bunch of formatting stuff to do with the new process. Good to see you back writing guides and posting on the forums! 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Necrophage33 said:

Updated my "Want to Start" and "Started" lists. I think that will finally be it for me for this contest... 🙄

The selfish part of me says if you could do cod vanguard that'd be useful for when I get round to playing it 🤣

Think mines updated aswell, there's other guides I could possibly do but think it may be over ambitious for me to out several down lol

• Haha 1

On 11/27/2021 at 4:47 AM, Caramel Cardinal said:

The selfish part of me says if you could do cod vanguard that'd be useful for when I get round to playing it 🤣

Think mines updated aswell, there's other guides I could possibly do but think it may be over ambitious for me to out several down lol

The community has spoken - I will do it next! 

Well, after I finish my Poirot guide, since I just completed that game. And I'm working on finishing up the last of the Far Cry 6 DLC and then I'll write that guide. And then I'm going to start Vanguard and do that guide. Still likely to have it done in December though! 

• Like 2