Most Disappointing Part of Dynasty Warriors 6

android_odnetnin

I'm a huge fan of Koei games. There's not much that passes a stress filled day of college classes quite like killing an endless amount of enemies ripe for the slaughter. Dynasty Warriors 5 was such a great game that I couldn't wait for the release of Dynasty Warriors 6 on a next gen system. But I have to say that some of the game gave me disappointments. The game is still amazing, don't get me wrong, but as a long time fan of the series, there were some changes that I wasn't amazed with.

For one, I was sort of upset that they changed the artwork/personalities of some of the characters, such as Cao Pi's emo look, Pang Tong without his hat, and Sun Shang Xiang's personality. For another, I was upset by the fact that Cao Cao, who for every single Koei game was pronounced "Cow Cow", was now "Tsao Tsao". I was more upset that Zhang Hei's talon claws were gone now. He's always had those claws and that was what made him great for me. But what truly upset me was the fact that you couldn't play through the storyline as all of the characters anymore. I loved that you could play both sides of the same battle with two characters that weren't exactly "main", such as Xiahou Yuan vs. Dong Huang.

What is most disappointing for you?

Edited by android_odnetnin

I havent played any other games by Koei besides DW6 except Warriors Orochi.. And some of the differences from Orochi to DW6 kinda sucked, but I really like this game still... Sun Shang without her chakrams sucks, but shes awesome with a bow still. Little bummed that Sun Quan and Sun Ce didnt have Musou modes. But I guess they said that these changes among others were to be more historically accurate.

I think the thing that disappoints me about the game, is that in some musou modes, right off the bat you are forced to face much stronger officers with your lvl 1 characters.... yea, a lot of people say to pre-level characters in free mode, but I like getting right into the musou modes and not wasting time in free mode beforehand.

As far as Cao Cao being pronounced Tsao Tsao now, I think thats better, because Im sure thats how its actually pronounced.

But overall this game is fun and theres actually a lot to do.. I just cant wait for Orochi 2.

Edited by RaZeDieFox

There were alot both positive and negative about the game and the characters. Some of the characters got better if u ask me and had awsome movesets whilest others where more dissapointing again. I have to agree with u about removing Zhang Fei's talons i mean come on??? and the outfit they gave him :eek:? if Zhang Fei wasnt femi before they made him that way more now and on top of it gave him a spear. Also they made Xiahou Dun with a new weapon i didnt like. I loved the old Xiahou Dun way better tough the only cool thing on him now was hes hair. And dont get me started on Dian Wei i mean what the heck?? they gave him a stupid way to short ranged mace looking thingy :confused: hes way to impossible to play with and clumsy looking. So a summary from me Xiahou Dun, Dian Wei, Zhang Fei and Xu Zhu (thay made him look 10 times retarded then before) was the worst downgrade. Else i actually liked DW6 and hope sincerly a XL will be coming to DLC marked soon. Next on my list now is Orochi Warriors 2 wich comes in september now if im not mistaken :woop:

Heres my character differences I liked and disliked as apposed to Warriors Orochi:

Better:

Cao Cao: His attitude and whole persona I like a lot more for some reason.

Dian Wei: I like his new weapon and he looks like a badass.

Cao Pi: His look and weapon is much better.

Sun Shang: Sucks she lost her chakrams, but shes awesome with her bow.

Sun Jian: Looks like an absolute badass and his weapon is a lot better.

Lui Bei: Younger looking and has a cooler personality.

Sima Yi: I like his weapon alot more in this game.

Diao Chan: One word, AMAZING

Zhao Yun: Not such a sissy in this game as he is in WO.

Guan Yu; Isnt really much different, but he just seems a lot cooler.

Gan Ning: Probably the best "look" upgrade from WO, and his moveset is awesome.

Cao Ren: Looks sick.

Huang Zhong: His weapon and skills are alot better now.

Zhang Liao: New weapons are awesome.

Lu Bu: His new weapons I like alot more.

Worse:

Sun Ce: I miss his Tonfas.

Zhang He: Never really liked him but sucks he doesnt have his talons.

Xiahou Dun: His weapon and moveset sucks.

Dong Zhuo: Looks rediculous, but never really liked him anyways.

Ling Tong: His nunchucks were awesome.

Taishi Ci: Liked his old weapon better.

Xu Huang: His look isnt as cool for some reason.

Xu Shu: Like it was said before me, looks even more retarded now lol.

Thats off the top of my head, might be forgetting someone. But either I way I like the changes more than I dislike them.

• 4 weeks later...

The last Dynasty Warriors game I played was DW4. The main things I missed were the Nanman tribe led by Meng Huo, and his Elephants. Also I kinda miss the variety of weaponry and fighting types. Too many pikes. People such as Wei Yan, Xu Zhu, and Dong Zhuo have basically the same attacks. Other than these reasons, I love this game.

• 3 months later...
There were alot both positive and negative about the game and the characters. Some of the characters got better if u ask me and had awsome movesets whilest others where more dissapointing again. I have to agree with u about removing Zhang Fei's talons i mean come on??? and the outfit they gave him :eek:? if Zhang Fei wasnt femi before they made him that way more now and on top of it gave him a spear. Also they made Xiahou Dun with a new weapon i didnt like. I loved the old Xiahou Dun way better tough the only cool thing on him now was hes hair. And dont get me started on Dian Wei i mean what the heck?? they gave him a stupid way to short ranged mace looking thingy :confused: hes way to impossible to play with and clumsy looking. So a summary from me Xiahou Dun, Dian Wei, Zhang Fei and Xu Zhu (thay made him look 10 times retarded then before) was the worst downgrade. Else i actually liked DW6 and hope sincerly a XL will be coming to DLC marked soon. Next on my list now is Orochi Warriors 2 wich comes in september now if im not mistaken :woop:

i think you mean Zhang He not Zhang Fei.

the rest i agree with you.

I pretty sure Zhang Fei spear was more historically accurate b4 than it is now and Zhange He is not gay if you read Romance of the 3 Kingdom

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't like how they've removed trademark weapons from a couple of characters, like Lu Xun's Twin Swords and Zhang He's Claws.

What the hell is with Xiahou Yuan? He's a pig that learnt to stand on two legs.

I also don't like how KOEI isn't contributing any DLC to Live.

What I find most annoying is if you defeat an officer all his peons and lieutenants start running away! I know this would be more accurate in a real battle situation (well not all of them unless they're cowards) but it was still fun on DW3 when you could just stand in the middle of a crowd of people and let rip with your true musou attack and not have to chase after soldiers :/

Other then that, this game is really good and I love playing it. Shame about some of the weapons though.

• 4 weeks later...

i would have to say, i have played dynasty warriors since the 1st one. I didnt care for the super nintendo dynasty warriors 1. But i got reeeeally into it when 2 came out and have been hooked every since. Now i have a question. Is it just me or has normal mode turned into hard mode or something. God knows everyone knows that even though every game is practically the same story when it comes to the wars.But i played Hu lao gate with Zhao Yun and mowed through alllllll the people but how the hell did LU BU get even more hard? the guy wiped me out in 3 to 4 swipes. Now i know he is kinda tuff in the other games but that is redonkulous. Zhao Yun is supposed to be one of the tuffest characters in the series.

This game requires (not all of the time) that you do a bit of training before you undertake the mission, it was a buzz in DW3 standing up to Lu Bu, getting your ass slightly handed to you then pulling of some gorilla style musou and run.

In DW6 you can still do that but it takes ages.

The main thing that disappointed me about this game was what they did to Ma Chao. First of all, they didn't give him a Muosu Mode. Come on, they would have been perfect. You have a couple of battles of him fighting the Yellow Turbans and Dong Zhou, and then you make a cutscene of Cao Cao killing his father of brothers, then teh rest of his mode is him getting revenge.

Second of all, they dumbed him down a little bit. They took away his mounted charge attack. That was the best attack in the game. That shockwave when he's on a horse was awesome.

Ok, I am not keen on when people whine about appearance and some weapon changes, those are more opinion based. Ofcourse, I am apparently part of the minority of people who like Xiahou Dun's new weapon better. But such things like weapon style cloning and such I understand. Though I do agree more mosou modes would be nice, not everyone needs one. (I think it is a bigger problem in Samurai Warriors though, I HATE Odawara Castle) Another thing I do not like though is that by not giving everyone mosou modes, certain battles you can only play one side. I think Guan Du and the Yellow Turban stage should have the other side available still, and there are 4 versions of the Battle of Jing Province and none of then let you be Shu.

Likewise I'm not "keen" when someone calls it a "whine" when someone disagrees with their opinion. More combat styles makes for a better game, period, and the lengths they went to remove the signature styles of key story characters is pretty bad.

Xiahou Dun is just one example. He's one of the staple characters of the series, and he's been wielding a Bagua Broad Sword forever. I don't mind his new weapon, but that they lumped him in with a bunch of other characters is what's annoying... and they did that to most of the characters in the game. It used to be that only the tertiary and generic characters had pulled from a common set of moves and weapon styles.

It's not really the weapon choice per character that's annoying, it's how few were included overall. Any weapon is fine for any character as long as it's still effective, but when you're playing each character to 50 it gets a little old when tons of them share identical move sets.

Some new designs for some charakters were really good. For example: The new Zhou Yu is really great. I did`nt like to play the old one, but with his new staff, he is relly a devil. Or Diao Chan with his whip is really cool too and she looks so pretty.:)

Well the most dissappointing things? For me there are 3 things.

1. You cannot play Musou mode with everybody.

2. Some charakters disappeared. Why arent Zhu Rong, Meng Huo, Jiang Wei, Pand De, Xing Cai and the other Qiao sister in this game? I always loved to play the nanman campaign. :mad:

3. The weapons and designs of the charakters, who do not have a musou mode. Lot of the charakters look really boring. It looks like KOEI did not put many effort into their design. And with the weapons...Zhang he without claws? Sun Ce without tonfas? Liong Tong without nunchakus? Zhen Ji without a flute? What the Hell? And a lot officers have the same weapons with the same moves. For example Wei Yan, Huang Gai, Xu Zhu and Dong Zhuo have the same big club and the same moves. Its just boring and i hope KOEI will give their charakters their ol weapons back in later games.

• 3 weeks later...

The biggest disappointment for me would be all the damn clones, and how they made Zhang He look(a little weird to me), and how they messed up Ma Chao,Ling Tong, etc.

Also has anyone even taken a look at 6 special(ps2), because they added 6 new musou modes and 6 characters have been de-cloned(sad it is only for ps2). De-cloned characters include, Cao Pi, Zhang He, Ling Tong, Taishi Ci, Ma Chao, and Yue Ying.(Some may know but it didn't look like it to me sorry if this is unrelated.) Also in Dw6 empires the only character that has been reveled is Meng Huo.

Game was perfect in my opinion minus 1 little tiny thing... Enemies still disappear on screen and magically appear to hit you again... and I refuse to believe its because the 360 cant handle that many units on screen at once.... Ninety Nine Nights could easily triple units on screen at once without slowdown or disappearing enemies and it just annoys me lol. I still love all the DW Games im just hoping that some day they finally fix that since it has been going on in every DW game I recall playing...

I do like all the changes they made though, glad they wanted to keep it more historically accurate...my favorite character has always been Zhou Yu and it was nice to get a weapon with more range to it instead of a sword :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Liked

Lu Bu's, Diao Chen's, Dian Wei's, Cao Ren's, Zhang Liao's, Liu Bei's new weapons and I liked the bows for the girls

The levels look great!

Disliked

Zhang he's claw loss and Wei Yan's change. Ok he wasn't the brightest but he wasn't an oaf before. His voice from 4 was badass and in battle he was swift and cunning with his weapon but now with his mace and slow speech....sigh

No shi shui gate and Hua Xiong (although he does appear at Hu Lao gate against Lu Bu). No Nanman campaign.

The night campaigns can be hard to see sometimes.

I am actually ok with Xiaohou Dun's new weapon as it is great to use though don't like his haircut

Edited by bloodswan

• 2 weeks later...