- Estimated achievement difficulty: 2/10 [Achievement Difficulty Rating]
- Offline: 14 
- Online: 0
- Approximate time to 1000: 5-10 hours [Estimated Time to 100%]
- Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1
- Missable achievements: Technically all of them, but there is a chapter select
- Does difficulty affect achievements: No difficulty
- Unobtainable/glitched achievements: No
A Way Out is a cinematic, story-driven co-op exclusive adventure game from the creators of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons. It is game that’s playable online or locally on the same console, but you can only experience it with a co-op partner.
Taking place in the late 1960’s/early 1970's, you play as Leo Caruso and Vincent Moretti, two convicts who reluctantly work together to break out of prison, each seeking retribution against the same person, a man named Harvey. Leo and Vincent must learn to trust each other and work together in order to survive long enough to punish the one responsible for ruining their lives. This is a captivating story that plays more like a movie than a video game. Its characters are rich and engaging, the story is immersive and the gameplay is entertaining.
A far as achievements are concerned, there is nothing story related. You can technically play the entire game without earning one achievement. But, each achievement can be earned in a single playthrough and you really don’t have to go out of your way to obtain them. If you do happen to miss one or more, there is a convenient chapter select to assist you and is available to you once you have completed that chapter.
Note: In order for both players to unlock achievements, each person has to own the game. If one person is playing from the free trial which is included with every copy of the game, that person will not unlock any achievements.
All 14 achievements can be unlocked in a single playthrough in about 5 hours. If you just want to enjoy the story and not worry about unlocking anything, then there is a chapter select feature so you can mop up anything you missed. You can technically play the entire game without unlocking a single achievement.
If you choose to play through only once, Maka91Productions has provided a 100% video walkthrough HERE.
There are instances where one character is needed to trigger the requirement to unlock an achievement. Even if that’s the case, all achievements unlock for both players except for one. For “Home Run”, each player needs to take a turn at bat and hit a home run.
The order the achievements should be unlocked is:
- “The Dip” (Escape: The Yard)
- “Freedom” (Escape: Prison Escape)
- “Take A Breather” (Fugitives: Breather)
- “In Sync” (Fugitives: The Farmstead)
- “Take It For A Spin” (Fugitives: The Farmstead)
- “Timeless Treasure” (Fugitives: The Farmstead)
- “Home Run” (Preparation: Reunion)
- “No Cheating” (Preparation: Reunion)
- “You Started It” (Preparation: Reunion)
- “Backseat Mechanic” (Preparation: Bonds)
- “Managed Anger” (Preparation: Violent Questioning)
- “Live The Dream” (Preparation: A New Life)
- “Break From Reality” (Vengeance: Lift Off)
- “Mayday!” (Vengeance: Lift Off)
If you happened to miss any of the achievements, there is a chapter select feature. For your convenience, a list of which chapter an achievement is unlocked in is written above as well as in each solution.
It is not often that a game has such a compelling narrative as A Way Out does. Designed to feel like you’re watching a movie, players can embark on an emotional adventure and connect with the playable characters in ways unprecedented in video games. This is definitely one that shouldn't be missed.
[XBA would like to thank bLaKgRaVy and Maka for this Roadmap]