- Estimated achievement difficulty: 4/10 [Achievement Difficulty Rating]
- Offline: 47 
- Online: 0
- Approximate amount of time to 1000: 25-30 Hours [Estimated Time to 100%]
- Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1
- Missable achievements: None [mission select]
- Does difficulty affect achievements: Yes [must play on Hard for "Tough Nut"]
- Glitchy achievements: "Tough Nut" can be glitchy, but a simple solution is available in the guide. There is also a significant mission-breaking glitch during Chapter 14. See the roadmap below or the guide for an explanation before you start the game.
- Unobtainable achievements: None
DLC: Jimmy's Vendetta
- Difficulty: 3/10
- Time to 250: ~40 hours [refer to roadmap for more information]
- Unobtainable: None
DLC: Joe's Adventures
- Difficulty: 4/10
- Time to 250: 5-7 hours
- Unobtainable: None
Welcome to the Mafia II roadmap! The achievements in the game are fairly straightforward. To obtain the full 1000, you'll need to beat the game on the hardest difficulty, collect two sets of collectibles, and do some miscellaneous tasks throughout the game. Overall, it's fairly easy to do, but some points during the game can get quite difficult on the hardest difficulty.
Step 1: Preparation
There are a few things you will need to prepare for if you're going to get the full 1000 in Mafia II in one playthrough. First, make sure you have the Playboy guide available as you progress through the game to ensure you get the "Ladies' Man" achievement. There is no free roam available to collect missed Playboy magazines, meaning if you miss any you'll need to play back through whichever missions contain the magazines all over again in order to collect the ones you missed. Also, as you progress through the game, remember to use the same vehicle whenever possible (for "One Careful Owner") and to get in each new car you see (for "Petrol Head"). Be aware that the end of Chapter 5 in the story marks the end of gameplay in the 1940s, which is when certain vehicles are available only. Make it a point to drive in 6-8 different vehicles before the end of Chapter 5. Doing so will eliminate the need to replay one of these chapters in order to look for more vehicles to drive.
Lastly, one very important thing to be aware of is a serious bug in Chapter 14. At one point during this very long story chapter, you'll be instructed to raise money, and the game will tell you to rob stores or bring cars to the crusher to make money. When you get to this point, DO NOT under any circumstances rob any stores. In fact, don't rob any stores during Chapter 14 at all. If you do rob any stores, know that when you do finally get to the very end of the mission to meet with Bruno, there will be no cutscene that triggers to end the mission. You'll have to quit to the main menu and start Chapter 14 from the beginning, and play through it without robbing shops. Seeing as this is by far the hardest mission in the game, be sure to heed this warning.
Step 2: The Game
Start the game on hard and play through. Most of the achievements in the game are fairly straightforward, but there are a few that aren't required and can be passed up. For these, I've prepared a short guide below. Use this with the achievement guide below and you should be set to get 1000 in one playthrough.
- Chapter 1: Attempt to get "Hairdresser" using the guide below.
- Chapter 2: Get "A Proper Gentleman" using the guide below; "Proper Scrapper" is first available.
- Chapter 3: Get "The Professional" and "Mail Man" using the guide below.
- Chapter 5: Get "A Lesson in Manners" using the guide below.
- Chapter 8: "Exporter" is first available.
- Chapter 9: This chapter has your first opportunity to get "Sharp Suiter"
- Chapter 11: Get "Wake Up Call" and "End of the Rainbow" using the guide below. Also, when told to take Leo to the train station, before doing so, drive to a body shop and upgrade the car twice and get "Get Rich or Die Flyin'", "Pedal to the Metal," "Tuned Ride," and "Dream Handling" using the guide below
- Chapter 15: This is the first point where all the Wanted posters are up, so get "Card Sharp" here before completing the game. This is also the best time to wrap up any miscellaneous achievements such as "Cruise Control," "Knucklehead," "Stuck Up," and "Hard to Kill"
Step 3: Wrap Up
If you followed the road map and guide perfectly, you should have 1000 as you complete the game. If not, load up chapters as needed and finish whatever achievements you have left to do.
Jimmy's Vendetta DLC
Note: The achievement "Millionaire" requires you to reach a score of 1,000,000 points. There are two ways to do this. The first is to play through this DLC on Hard difficulty and try to get as many points from kills, vehicle explosions, and finishing missions as quickly as you can. The second option is to use the glitch described in the "Explorer" achievement solution. This same glitch can be used to amass 1,000,000 points in approximately 4 hours, but it must be done in a single sitting. Choosing this latter method means you can play the DLC on Easy instead of Hard, making this DLC much easier and less stressful. The choice is yours, but I highly recommend playing on Easy and using the glitch mentioned to save yourself some stress and a lot of mind-numbing grinding.
This DLC only has three achievements that are story related. The rest of the achievements are cumulative, and none is a mission-specific achievement. There is only one achievement to highlight that you should be aware of as you play, and that is the "Armament King" achievement, which requires you to get a kill with every weapon in the game. Completing the car theft missions (which are required to progress in the story) gives you a ton of money. Make it a point to stop at Harry's, Giuseppe's, and a regular gun shop at some point after your second or so car theft mission and buy all of the available guns from each shop, as well as ammo for them. The only weapon not available in any of the shops in the Thompson M4A1, so keep an eye out for this on dead enemies in each mission.
Once you've completed all of the story missions, you'll have a bunch of cumulative achievements to grind out. If the strategy in the guide below is used for the "Firebug" achievement, you'll also easily unlock "Faster than Light." Likewise, when you grind out the "Massacre" achievement, you'll assuredly unlock "Sharpshooter" in process, assuming you didn't unlock it already. The final step of this DLC is to grind out miles driven for the "Explorer" achievement, which is why the estimated hours to complete this DLC is so high. As noted above, taking advantage of the glitch in the guide will also guarantee you the "Millionaire" achievement at the same time. Once you've finally accumulated 1000 miles driven, you'll finally be done with this DLC.
Joe's Adventures DLC
There are no achievement tied to difficulty in this DLC, so don't hesitate to play on Easy. First you should complete the story of this DLC. You will earn at least 5 achievements just for doing this, as they are the story related achievements that cannot be missed. Along the way, there are a handful of miscellaneous achievements that are best gotten during the missions to avoid replaying them:
- During the opening mission 'The Witness,' be sure to unlock "Arctic Grave" at the end of the mission.
- During the third mission 'Going Out of Business,' this is the first and easiest opportunity to unlock "Jack of all Trades."
- Approximately two thirds of the way through the story, you'll get to a mission called 'Bet On That.' This mission requires you to follow a bookie to a gang and then kill them all. Immediately after killing them all, you'll notice a very nice car parked among the firefight. Take this car and park it in your garage so you have access to it whenever you want. Fully upgrading the engine on this car is the best vehicle to use to unlock "Hypersonic," "Jacked Jumper" and "Driftin' Daddy-O." Be aware that all three of these achievements must be done during missions and cannot be done during free roam.
All other achievements will unlock by playing through and completing all of the missions in the DLC.
Congratulations, you now have 1500 in Mafia II! While most achievements are relatively easy, some parts on Hard can prove quite frustrating and challenging. If you followed the roadmap and guide to save yourself mission replays, you should be able to get through the completion with minimal frustration. If you do have any problems, you will find a clear answer within the guide below.