Last Stand Achievement
Survive all five waves in the battle for Object Rho
While story-based, this achievement is missable.
This may be the most challenging achievement out of the three of them, but if you turn your difficulty down, come here with a strong upgraded character or follow this little guide I decided to use as it worked well for a low level soldier with considerably moderate weapons.
As soon as I gained control of Shepard I made a move to the left and hide behind the "L" shaped console there. This spot worked well for me for a couple of reasons:
- Enemies never came from my right up the stairs I took.
- I was able to keep them all in front of me scanning and watching for potential targets that would rush.
- Although you are unable to stay in cover if you move from the front to the right (if we are looking at it from behind) snapping back into cover for this is easy.
I tried numerous other methods listed in other guides and found that my character was just too weak and too outgunned to be able to stand any chance. Just to be sure it wasn't a fluke run I loaded an old save and ran my same technique in the "L" shaped console on the left and again nobody came from the stairs I took and the only things that rushed me were the flamethrower guards and the MECH in the last wave.
Just a quick Wave Breakdown (note that upon killing a certain percentage of the previous wave the next will spawn):
- Wave 1: Regular soldiers with regular weapons
- Wave 2: Regular soldiers with 2 flamethrower guards. Both flamethrower enemies will rush you so make sure to keep them at bay.
- Wave 3: Regular soldiers with 1 flamethrower guard and 1 Vanguard The flamethrower will rush you and if using the technique listed above the vanguard will generally stay back directly in front of you over by the stairs on the far side of the room making him an easy kill.
- Wave 4: Regular soldiers with 1 Engineer and 1 Flamethrower guard. Remember the flamethrower will charge, and this engineer will rotate between cover behind the pillar directly in front of you and the wall to the far left never rushing.
- Wave 5: Mech time. I stuck it out in the spot I talked about previously and as soon as I could see the Mech coming through the door I went into reflex mode and used the collector beam to take him down. It took 2 times in reflex mode to push over the Mech, and he got as far as the stairs in the middle leading up to my cover.
Just remember if the battle is too tough, or you find yourself unable to use any of the listed guides to beat this--turn down the difficulty to Casual and really hammer away from a spot that has good cover.