- Estimated achievement difficulty: 6/10
- Offline: 30 (400 )
- Online: 0 (0)
- Approximate time: +60 Hours
- Minimum number of playthroughs needed: N/A
- Does difficulty affect achievements?: No
- Missable achievements: None
- Glitched achievements: None, although objectives for some achievements may need to be repeated in order for it to register, such as re-killing bosses or reusing crafting stations.
- Do cheats disable achievements?: No. There are none.
- Unobtainable achievements: None
- Extra Equipment needed?: No
Terraria is a 2-D Minecraft Metroidvania Platformer. Before you dive in, bookmark wiki.terrariaonline.com and terraria.wikia.com. Both are immensely helpful resources for everything about Terraria.
Note that I'm playing this game in single player only, so most achievement descriptions and the estimated difficulty will reflect that. You will have a much easier time with the game with friends for the harder achievements. Also note that the approximate time to completion is a very conservative estimate. A lot of farming and mining is required for A Knight In Shining Armors, Corruptible, and Hallowed Be Thy Name. Depending on if you're playing single or multiplayer, your mileage may vary quite a bit.
When you fire up Terraria, start with the Tutorial to get Terraria Student and Terraria Expert. You will learn the controls, build a house, and be given a bit of general direction in what to do once you start your own world.
Make a Character & World
Once you're done with that, select Play Game and make a character. Since difficulty doesn't matter for achievements, just go with Normal. Now the game will want you to create a world. Choose whether or not you want to play online and/or invite only (you can change these whenever you load up your world), and then select a world size. Here are the differences:
- Small All biomes are smaller and closer together, including the Underworld. Ore deposits are condensed and therefore easier to find. Floating islands are closer to the surface.
- Medium Biome sizes strike a balance between small and large worlds, obviously. More ore, chests, pots, floating islands, Demon Altars (for spawning hardmode ore), and Shadow Orbs.
- Large Biomes are larger, and are more spread out. There is more ore, but it is less condensed. Even more chests and pots, more Shadow Orbs, more floating islands, and more Demon Altars than Medium.
If you're mostly playing online with friends, go with a large world. Otherwise, medium and small worlds are fine for single player. There is enough ore and resources for you to do everything, regardless of world size, and you can always create new worlds and raid them for resources to bring back to your main world if you want.
Some tips for starting out:
- Always have your weapon, pickaxe, axe, and hammer on the Inventory Bar at the top.
- Make plenty of torches and wooden platforms, and always have a full stack of each for your excursions.
- Always have healing potions and hotfix them to the D-Pad.
- Place torches everywhere. Not only do they light up your world, they also serve as markers to show where you've been.
- Pick up and hoard everything you find. Flowers, mushrooms, seeds, cobwebs-everything has a use.
- Break all pots you encounter, loot everything in chests, and use a hammer to pick up empty chests so you can use them for storage at your base without having to craft your own.
- Don't worry about dying and losing money. You won't need it for much early in the game, and Hardmode will give you plenty of it.
- Always make better pickaxes before anything else. After that, upgrade your armor and other tools. There are plenty of nice weapons to find in chests, so crafting them isn't a priority.
- Use your map while digging to locate ore and chests that you may not be able to see otherwise.
- There is a handy Housing feature located in the menu that, among other options, can help you determine if your houses are livable for NPCs (walk into your house first before opening the menu).
Terraria is roughly split between two parts. The first half is considered Normal Mode, and you will unlock most of these achievements without much effort as you progress:
- Home Sweet Home
- Vanity of Vanities
- Blood Moon Rises
- Crowd Control
- Rock Bottom
- Maxed Out
- To Hell and Back
- Be Prepared
- Challenge Accepted
These achievements will be earned through natural progression and no extra effort on your part. They will most likely unlock during Normal Mode:
- Marathon Runner
These are the NPCs you can have at this point. It's okay if you don't have all of them yet, they will always be available:
- Arms Dealer
- Goblin Tinkerer
These are the bosses you will want to kill in Normal Mode:
- Slime King
- Eye of Cthulhu
- Destroyer of Worlds
- Wall of Flesh
These are the gear sets you can have at this point. Note that it may be easier to get some of these once you get into Hardmode and have access to drills.
- Mining Armor
- Copper Armor
- Iron Armor
- Silver Armor
- Gold Armor
- Meteor Armor
- Jungle Armor
- Necro Armor
- Shadow Armor
- Molten Armor
Once you unlock Challenge Accepted, you will now be in Hardmode and unlock these achievements:
- All In the Family
- Ride the Worm
- Bona Fide
- A Knight In Shining Armors
These are the NPCs you will encounter only in Hardmode to finish up All In the Family:
These are the bosses you will kill to finish up Exterminator:
- The Twins
- Devourer of Worlds
- Skeletron Prime
These are the armor sets you will have to craft to finish up A Knight In Shining Armors:
- Cobalt Armor
- Mythril Armor
- Adamantite Armor
- Hallowed Armor
- Dragon Armor
- Spectral Armor
- Titan Armor
These achievements will be time-consuming and take a lot of effort to complete. It might be best to create new small worlds and "prune" them for easier spreading of Corruption and Hallow:
- Hallowed Be Thy Name
I'm Smelting! will take extra effort to unlock, even after crafting everything. See the achievement list for details.
Pet Hoarder at the moment is currently the hardest achievement to unlock in single player, based on the absurd rarity of Honeycombs and Wolf Fangs. Save your sanity and trade for them online.
[x360a would like to thank Tyba11s for this Roadmap]