- Estimated achievement difficulty: 6/10 [3/10 with cheats enabled] [Achievement Difficulty Rating]
- Offline: 51 
- Online: 0
- Approximate amount of time to 1000: 26-35 hours [20-25 hours with cheats enabled] [Estimated Time to 100%]
- Minimum number of playthroughs needed: Two and a half [One playthrough on Nightmare, half a playthrough in New Game + for gathering parts and gel to max out weapon upgrades/abilities, and one playthrough on Classic Mode]
- Missable achievements: 29 [Nearly every single non-story related achievement is missable, and there is no chapter select available]
- Does difficulty affect achievements: Yes [Must play Classic Mode for “You Asked For It… Again”]
- Unobtainable/glitched achievements: None
- Extra equipment needed: None
- Do cheats disable achievements: No
PowerPyx, for providing his video guides
The Evil Within 2 is a third-person survival horror/stealth game directed by John Johanas, developed by Tango Gameworks, and published by Bethesda Softworks. In The Evil Within 2, you continue to play as Sebastian Castellanos, a washed up detective who is haunted and traumatized by the events of the Beacon Mental Hospital incident from the first game. The disappearance of Sebastian’s wife and the death of his daughter continue to haunt him. Sebastian is approached by Juli Kidman, his former partner from the Krimson City Police Department, revealing that Sebastian’s daughter is still alive. Kidman is looking for Sebastian’s help in order to save his daughter and so naturally, Sebastian leaps at this new opportunity and accompanies Kidman to a secret facility belonging to the sinister Mobius corporation….
To complete The Evil Within 2, you have to clear the game at least two and a half times. In order to unlock Classic Mode (the highest difficulty available), you must first beat the game on any other difficulty. Completing Classic Mode is the hardest achievement in the game, but it isn’t as much of a challenge as clearing Akumu Mode from the first game.
Cheats codes were added to The Evil Within 2 as part of Patch 1.05. You can enable cheats by linking the game to a Bethesda.net account or creating a new Bethesda.net account by pressing in the game's main menu. After the Bethesda.net account has been linked, go to the options menu, and under general settings you can find three cheats (infinite stamina, super strength, and invincibility). Turning on cheats will not disable achievements, so you can use these cheats to your advantage if you want to make it easier to complete the game. Keep in mind that there are some situations where invincibility does not apply. I have listed these scenarios under the "You Asked For It... Again" achievement for completing the game in Classic Mode.
Playthrough #1: Nightmare difficulty, all collectibles, weapons, and misc. achievements
It’s recommended that you start out on Nightmare difficulty for practice, so you can be better prepared for your Classic Mode playthrough later on. Use a collectibles guide and try to knock out as many of the collectibles as you can so you don’t have to worry about them after this playthrough. Familiarize yourself with some of the locker key locations so you know where they are in your Classic Mode playthrough, as locker keys can give you access to some additional ammo if needed.
Be wary of the “Rogue Signal” side mission that you must play in Chapter 3 so you can unlock the “Backup Ain’t Coming” achievement and gain access to the Sawed-Off Shotgun. There are also two side missions that you must complete in Chapter 7 so you can finish “The Last Step” side mission in Chapter 13 and unlock the “Sykes Out” achievement. Also note the multiple steps that must be taken from chapters 11-14 to unlock the “I’ll Take You Down Myself” achievement.
For the most part, you should expect to unlock the achievements in this approximate order during your first playthrough:
- "Welcome to Union" (story-related)
In this chapter, make sure that you obtain the Warden Crossbow, the Sniper Rifle, the Laser-Sighted Handgun, and the Sawed-Off Shotgun. You will need to collect every standard weapon in order to unlock the “Powerhouse” achievement by the end of the game. Finding the Warden Crossbow is directly tied to the “Good to See You Again” achievement and you can find the Sawed-Off Shotgun as you make your way through O’Neal’s “Rogue Signal” side mission. There is also the Revolver that is obtained by triggering the four Anima-related collectibles. Two of these collectibles are in Chapter 3, one is in Chapter 7, and the last one is in Chapter 11. You will receive the Revolver in Chapter 11 as long as you follow a collectibles guide, so you don’t have to worry about it. The Sniper Rifle is located on a rooftop near O'Neal's safehouse, and you must repair it by combining the Sniper Rifle with Sniper Rifle parts. The parts can be found inside of a shed around the north west area of the map.
- "DIY" (craft something)
- "Good to See You Again" (obtain the Warden Crossbow)
- "Shock Therapy" (use a shock bolt to stun an enemy standing in a puddle of water)
- "I Am The Night" (kill 10 enemies with sneak kills)
- "Wait For It" (unlock the Ambush ability in the stealth tree, then perform Ambush on an enemy)
- "Thinning Them Out" (kill 30 enemies)
- "Backup Ain’t Coming" (complete the “Rogue Signal” side mission given by O’Neal)
- "You Got Red in You" (use red gel to unlock more of Sebastian’s abilities)
- "Making Things a Little Easier" (use a high-grade weapons part to upgrade a weapon)
- "Taken" (story-related)
- "Kick, Shoot, Burn" (kill 2 or more enemies at once by using oil)
- "Not Running This Time" (defeat the Guardian boss)
Then reload a save, don’t kill the boss, and make it inside of City Hall to earn:
- "Sometimes Fighting Isn’t the Answer"
Continue on and you will obtain this next achievement as long as you were following a collectibles guide:
- "Doing Some Detecting" (collect 20 files)
- "Clearing a Path" (kill 60 enemies)
- "The Team Psychologist" (story-related)
In this chapter, make sure that you save Sykes in the parking lot and complete his “Out in the Open” and “Getting Back Online” side missions in order to complete “The Last Step” side mission in Chapter 13. Once you complete the “Getting Back Online” side mission in Chapter 7, Sykes will reward you with the Silenced Handgun, which you need for the “Powerhouse” achievement. In this chapter, you will also need to find the Full Barreled Shotgun, which can be found inside of a locked shed at the north east side of the map. To unlock the shed you must find a key on a corpse towards the south west corner of the map.
- "Smoke Assassin" (kill 3 enemies with upgraded smoke bolts)
- "Half the Stash" (open 16 lockers)
- "Premature Finale" (story-related)
- "Death From Above" (kill 2 or more enemies at once using a hanging lamp)
- "Bootable Offense" (kill 15 enemies by stomping on them – I personally unlocked this achievement naturally during the house defense section)
- "Another Ally" (story-related)
After unlocking the “Crossing to the Other Side” achievement, be sure to pick up the Flamethrower the boss was using. You will need to repair this Flamethrower by chapter the end of chapter 13, before talking to Hoffman and advancing towards Theodore's stronghold.
- "Caffeine Addict" (use every coffee maker)
- "Finally Free" (complete all anima event related collectibles)
- "No More Playing With Fire" (destroy the fuel canister on the back of the boss during the boss fight)
- "Crossing to the Other Side" (story-related)
- "Now You’re Playing With Power" (upgrade a weapon to level 3 - you may unlock this earlier or later, depending on when you decide to upgrade a weapon)
- "Melancholy Memories" (in Sebastian’s house, interact with Lily’s drawings, Sebastian’s desk, and Myra’s certificates before touching the letter on the kitchen table)
- "Spiritual Awakening" (story-related)
Don’t forget to pick up the Assault Rifle. It’s right in front of you as soon as the chapter begins.
You will need to kill at least two of the three Harbinger enemies in this chapter (they use Flamethrowers). You can find the Harbingers roaming around Union. Upon defeating a Harbinger, they’ll drop one fuel tank. You need two fuel tanks in order to repair the Flamethrower you picked up back in Chapter 11. After acquiring two fuel tanks, head over to a workbench and repair the Flamethrower before Chapter 14.
Make sure that you complete “The Last Step” side mission for Sykes, as you will be rewarded with the Double-Barreled Shotgun. As soon as you complete the mission, enter the room that Sykes was in and open the case to find the Double-Barreled Shotgun.
- "Sykes Out" (complete “The Last Step” side mission given by Sykes – you need to have completed the two side missions for Sykes in chapter 7 to gain access to this side mission)
- "Chatting With Kidman" (find all photographic slides and talk to Kidman about them when you’re inside Sebastian’s office)
- "Fire Walk With Me" (story-related)
Avoid using any Flamethrower ammo that you have throughout the chapter. You’ll be needing Flamethrower ammo for one of the boss fights at the end of the chapter.
- "Diligent Reader" (collect every file)
- "Locksmith" (open every locker)
- "I’ll Take You Down Myself" (defeat the Laura boss with the Flamethrower)
- "Overcome the Past" (story-related)
- "Everything Comes Crumbling Down" (story-related)
- "Echoes Within STEM" (view every residual memory)
- "Unfortunate Consequence" (story-related)
- "All in the Family" (collect every mysterious object)
- "Against All Odds" (beat the game on Nightmare)
- "Survivor" (beat the game on Survival)
- "Rookie" (beat the game on Casual)
- "Powerhouse" (acquire all standard weapons)
As long as you were playing on Nightmare difficulty, you will have unlocked the Brass Knuckles, which you needed for the “Powerhouse” achievement.
Playthrough #2 (Partial Playthrough): New Game+, gather enough gel and weapons parts to max out all weapon upgrades and abilities
In this playthrough, your goal is to completely upgrade every weapon and all of Sebastian’s abilities. If you missed any of the miscellaneous achievements outlined from playthrough #1 above, be sure to get those achievements during this playthrough.
- "That Cinematic Feel…" (enable letterbox mode)
- "Handyman" (craft every type of item)
- "A Little Extra Kick to it" (upgrade one of the Warden Crossbow bolts to its max level)
- "Stick it in My Veins" (completely upgrade all of Sebastian’s abilities)
- "They Never Even Stood A Chance" (completely upgrade every weapon)
Playthrough #3: New Game on Classic Mode
Classic Mode is the same difficulty as Nightmare, but a few things have been altered. In Classic Mode, there are no autosaves or checkpoints. You only have seven manual saves that you can use across your entire playthrough. You cannot upgrade any of the weapons or Sebastian’s abilities. See the “You Asked For It… Again” achievement down below for more details regarding Classic Mode.
Mop-Up and Conclusion:
And with that, you should have the full 1000! Classic Mode has a few tricky situations, but it’s nothing that you can’t overcome, especially if you have already completed Akumu mode from the first Evil Within. While The Evil Within 2 marks a step down in difficulty compared to the original game, it does bring a few improvements when it comes to combat and overall performance. This is a completion that should pose some trouble for newcomers to survival horror, but with a little patience you can persevere. Veterans of the survival horror genre shouldn’t expect much difficulty at all in The Evil Within 2, and for the most part it’s just business as usual.
[XBA would like to thank LickableLemons7 & PowerPyx for this Roadmap]